experienced modelers here who'll be glad to help
you with anything that comes up.

Curious though...Model Train Depot...sounds like
you may know quite a bit about trains.

Don

·
Registered
42 Posts
Thank you DonDon for the greeting and Kind words!
I see the available experience and resource this site has to offer and will take advantage of it!
Yes sir, been modeling for 45 plus years but truly fell in love when I first witnessed John Allens G&D railroad.
I am somewhat handy in the field as I do tons of custom complex dcc installs, wind my own smoke unit coils ( I know, smoke is for toys) elaborate lighting, etc. Mostly in HO but have ventured out into the yard with G scale
This was my project when covid first broke. Just some fun in the dirt! I have some Large MTH Steam Locos with full Airwire and dcc, sound, smoke blah, blah blah....
So in closing I may have a little to offer this site...
PS it is modeltraindepo.com with no T on depo. It is silent so we dont need it anyways..LOL

·
Registered
9,190 Posts
I can see that you're not likely to be pleading for help
with your trains...and that's great...we certainly welcome
guys like you who have the know how and hands on
experience that our members look for.

And, it appears that you are going to be a good
man to know when it comes to finding train gear...
Let us know about your stock and how to
see it.

Don

·
Registered
42 Posts
Don, you are much to kind sir! I need help in so many ways...especially with model trains!
I hope I am worthy and can contribute something useful or valid to the forum besides pluggin my silly website.:rolleyes:
But since you did mention my stock and how to see it, I have a little of my goods listed on modeltraindepo.com under Sunrise Creek Railroad.
Cheers Big Guy!

·
Registered
42 Posts
Hello Magic!
Thank you very much for the greeting!
I am out in Verdi in the mountains and smoke.
Maybe we can play in the future when my health picks up. Cheers!
MTD

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi, my name is Mark. I'm originally from Kentucky but live in Chicagoland. I'm a Senior Programmer/Analyst at a regional medical center in the western 'burbs.. I'm married, have four sons, a daughter-in-law and a granddaughter.

I just got back into N Scale just yesterday, actually. My favorite railroads are Southern, Norfolk & Western, L&N, CSX, Norfolk Southern. Actually like them all, but I have too many hobbies and not enough space.

My main pursuit when I'm not working or spending time with my family is drawing & oil painting. And it is this actually that got me back into Model Railroading. I have promised paintings for all of my sons.. The first two paintings are completed.

I'm currently working on a painting of a Norfolk & Western Class J and a Class Y6b in Eastern Kentucky (Millard, KY, near Pikeville, KY) for my third son who was born when we were living in Pikeville, KY. He has always loved those two locomotives, so I'm making up a scene and trying to make it somewhat believable. Someone who really knows the history could probably poke a thousand holes in it, but being strictly historically accurate isn't the purpose of it.

So after looking at dozens of photos on the internet, I decided I needed a model Class J and a Y6b to draw from. Since we already had a layout (Modern day CSX) I figured another couple of locomotives wouldn't hurt (they never do, do they?). So I took the sheets off the layout that we had put there to reduce the dust, and started cleaning it up, and then went looking for an N Scale Class J and a Y6b on eBay. Of course, I found just what I was looking for..

I also build and fly Control Line Stunt and R/C aircraft, play Classical Guitar and play at Jazz Flute. And I started building a Model Shipways 1/64 scale Niagra (I'm former Navy, and am doing a painting of the Battle of Lake Erie, Oliver Hazard Perry) and am also working on a model of the HMS Birkenhead (for my youngest son's painting).

So, as you can see I keep myself pretty busy.

I attached the layout plan that I have. When I can dig up or take more photos of it I'll post those

White Slope Font Line Circle

·
Registered
9,190 Posts
We're glad you've joined us.

That is quite an interesting track plan.
I particularly note the intricate turnout
situation...looks like a number of
slip turnouts.

Because you are working N scale
it's a little difficult to determine, but it
appears you have some fairly tight
curves there. They might limit the
steamers that used to run on those
Southern rails.

Since you are in the tech field, I trust
you are thinking DCC for your control
system.

We'll look forward to seeing the progress
you make on your layout.

Don

·
Registered
4 Posts
Here are a few photos, with a number of my other pursuits in shot also. The layout was completed about ten years ago. Then my sons grew up and moved out. We covered it with a bedsheet about four years ago but it had gotten dusty before that. A few days ago I took the bed sheets off, pulled off most of the trees and bushes and cleaned it with a vacuum. It needs repairs.
Toy Train Urban design Track Railway
Plant Wood Biome Landscape Urban design
Toy Train Urban design Track Railway Plant Wood Biome Landscape Urban design

·
Registered
4 Posts
I think what I'm going to do is build up plexiglass sides high enough and then put either a plexiglass top over that or have rods going across to support a bed sheet without it touching the scenery.. If anyone has ideas of how to protect your layout from layers of dust without going the route of totally replacing the home ventilation system I'm all ears.. :)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hey Guten Tag to all Forumites!! Greetings from somewhere near Frederick, Maryland.
I decided to hang around this forum since discovering it just a few weeks ago. No more lurking.
I am a 3rail O Gauge guy........and buy most any RR; yet the C B&Q is my favorite as it ran through Naperville, Illinois, where I once lived. My budget is allowing me to try and collect as many K Line smoking cabeese as possible.....
Been going to the York meets since 2012.......I never knew they existed until 2011!!

8261 - 8280 of 8283 Posts