Model Train Forum banner
8401 - 8420 of 8431 Posts

·
Registered
891 Posts
Wow German, Montevideo...a long way from here! Your English is very good. I would love to go shopping at Expo Paso. Welcome to the forum from the flatlands of Illinois in the USA. I also model the Santa Fe. I will be interesting to see your layout, hope you share photos and videos in a separate thread. Enjoy the forum and have fun! 🙂

·
Registered
801 Posts
Hello User name Dutchman,First name Ben.
Also a new Bee.
Where would I post a question about the type of wire used,The gauge and wiring of a new set up? O and O 27 gauge. Thanks Dutchman.
Welcome, Ben! There is an O gauge forum on this site, it also happens to be the most active. That would be the best place to ask your questions.
Richard

·
Registered
5,701 Posts
Hello everyone. My name is German. I am 40 years old, I am from Montevideo, Uruguay. Since I was a child I have had a passion for railroads and North American diesel locomotives. My first electric train in HO scale was in 1987, a small Lima starter set that I put together with my father and we left it for a week in the living room of my house. (I must admit that I was lucky to have generous parents). At present I have a perimeter layout in a room as I always wanted as a child. I model Santa Fe from the 60s, 70s and 80s although my collection of locomotives and freight cars covers the entire 1st, 2nd and 3rd era of dieselization. I became a user of this forum to learn and share knowledge. Meet and enjoy the hobby that I love so much with people who feel the same for the blessed trains! 🚆
German;

Welcome aboard! We have members from many countries around the world. I'm in San Diego, California in the southwest of the USA. I model the passenger service in Seattle, Washington in the Pacific Northwest of the USA. My layout is an N-scale, double-deck shelf type mounted on two walls of my garage. My favorite locomotives are the electrics used by the Milwaukee Road. I particularly enjoy scratchbuilding structures. The photos show some of the structures on my layout.

Again Welcome;

Traction Fan 🙂

Attachments

·
Registered
891 Posts
Greetings from the flatlands of Illinois Ben, Welcome to MTF!
Sounds like you had a interesting career in the railroad industry.
Will be looking forward to your take on future RXR queries from the members.
Enjoy the site and have FUN!

·
Registered
10,034 Posts
Patton

We're glad to have you join the Forum. You are wise
to use flex track to build your HO layout. You didn't mention
make of your turnout selection...but it's my
opinion that you can't do better than Peco...you
just do not have derails caused by a Peco.

Check in with the hardy bunch of experienced
modellers in our HO forum.

Don

·
Registered
891 Posts
Greetings from the Land of Lincoln Ben, Welcome to MTF!
Girls like trains too...too cute!
Wish my father got into trains like my girlfriend Daddy did.... it's where I got my bug.
So if your daughters bring over friends, best to get em hooked on trains early.
It's good clean fun!

·
Premium Member
HO 1950s SP in So. Cal.
2,672 Posts
Nice start to an interesting layout. (y) (y)

One thing I see that may be a problem is the three curves spurs lower right.
It's hard to uncoupple cars on a curve, might try to find a way to straighten them out. ❔

Teach her some wiring skills save all that under the table stuff that's so hard for adults to do. ;):D
Welcome to the forum and keep us posted.

Magic.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I've been debating the southern spurs. I think I might keep one to use as a storage track, and nix the rest.

I really hoped both would be interested, but I'll settle for one, but who knows, maybe the other will be interested in detailing after the build is done.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hello!

I came looking for advice over in the sales spot, but figuring you get that a lot. So no worries and sorry to be pestering ya! Unless you want to be pestered, then I got you covered over there.

Good day!

Odelia

·
Registered
5,701 Posts
I am using Atlas Flex and Atlas switches, I have one switch down and have already had to adjust it. 🤦‍♂️
pattontg;

The files below may help with your Atlas switch problem.

Good Luck;

Traction Fan

Attachments

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hi everyone,

Welcome to Model Train Forum, a brand new Internet discussion site for one of the world's greatest hobbies. My name is John (screenname: tworail) and I am the admin for this site. I hope it becomes a great online destination for model railroading, and keep an eye on the site as more features are introduced to make this site even better.

As far as modelling goes, I am currently into modelling German railways in N scale. I have a couple things on the go but will post pictures when I can. I also have NA HO scale equipment that I want to do something with, in the form of a small switching layout most likely as space is limited.

Please respond to this thread and introduce yourself!

John
NewBee Here

Hello from Southeastern Colorado. I have two grandsons one of which is totally engrossed in Trains. He is soon to be eight but has had a deep interest in trains since around the age of three. The other grandson is gradually getting more interested in the hobby and he is nine. I am setting the layout in a 12 x16 foot room and will need all of the help I can get and will need to have questions answered I am sure. Looking forward to every post especially the HO related ones. The wiring of the various controls, etc is what is concerning me most.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hi,
My name is Dennis, and I am planning to work on an 8' X 8' HO layout using Bachman EZ Track -- a heresy, I know!

Here's a little more detail:

My initial interest in the hobby began with "O" Gauge trains in grade school. With the generous and considerable help and guidance of my father, we built a complex, Lionel Super "O" layout on two, 5' x 10' plywood tables.
Through the succeeding years, I have largely pursued the "O" Gauge Hobby, and, the Standard Gauge Hobby. Intermingled with those pursuits was an avid interest in LGB trains, including an LGB layout. Largely due to time constraints, and, quite frankly my preferences at the time, all of my home layouts have been "Toy Train Layouts".
At home, when the prices of detailed, scale-sized, "O" gauge locomotives (many running on 72" curves) kept increasing, my young son and I moved to HO trains for one layout. Unfortunately, that size of train proved a little challenging given my son's age, so, the HO trains were put away. Additionally, at that time, DCC was in it's infancy. Nothing like the DCC of today!
For a number of years, I was a member of a very sophisticated HO Club in the area. That Club is building a 2,400 square foot "free lanced" layout in a building that the Club owns. My stated interest for joining the club was to learn about designing and creating scenery, and, the Club members knew that I was principally an "0" Gauge enthusiast at heart. Notwithstanding, they graciously welcomed me to the Club. In this regard, Club members were more than happy to teach me how to construct scenery, and assigned specific sections of the layout to me to complete with considerable expert help along the way. Track laying, and, "electronics", were generally handled by other Club members who had significant experience, with an overall "leader" for each of those specialties. As noted above, DCC was in it's infancy at the time.

At the present time, I would just like to get my feet wet with HO, and learn more about using and operating DCC.

·
Registered
891 Posts
Greeting Dennis, from the Prairie State, Welcome to the MTF!!!!!
There are plenty of knowledgable DCC members who you can reach out too, even this old gal.
I will be curious to see your layout plans and what you might try to replicate, choices of railroads, capacity of the train room and all those intangables.
Enjoy the site and have FUN!!!! 😊

8401 - 8420 of 8431 Posts