Model Train Forum banner
8421 - 8431 of 8431 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Thanks for the very thoughtful and, very generous welcome, SF Gal! I'm from the home of "The Greatest Lakes on Earth" -- just across the lake (admittedly, a big lake!) from your state!

I"ll likely take you up on your kind offer of assistance, since my Command Control experience is limited to Lionel TMCC, Legacy, and MTH DCS. As an FYI, I did have the pleasure of riding behind SP GS-4 #4449 when it travelled far east for Train Festival 2009, which was held in Owosso, MI.

Like you, I'm a major "SF" fan. Thanks again.

Cordially,

Dennis

·
Registered
17 Posts
I had joined about a year ago but haven't really been on much. I plan on changing that. I've been back in the hobby for almost 2 years
I've had a little of everything from MTH,williams,k-line,Marx and Lionel. My main focus has been pre and post war O gauge. Really like being able to clean and fix up these old reliable beauties. But,I have purchased a couple scale hudsons from the LTI era I'm enjoying. Hoping this is a friendly environment where i can post new to me items. And hopefully find help with things I'm having issues with. Also be able to find hard to find items as well as sell some overstocked items I've aquired! Thanks everyone

·
Registered
10,034 Posts
Lionel

What better screen name for an 0 scale modeller.
We're always glad to have new folks join us.

Check out our 0 scale Forum. You'll find a
merry group of 3 rails who are always
interested in finding new things.

Don

·
Registered
5,701 Posts
Hi everyone,
I’m bryan. New to the hobby. As I stated in the general discussion I picked up a ton of model train stuff…. What do I call model train stuff? Gear… equipment…. Anyway I am green to the hobby and will be throing out tons of questions for a while I assume.

Mrman;

Welcome to the forum and to a great hobby! Around here we just call them trains, track, Etc. But there's no nitpicking on tis forum, so nobody's going to jump all over you for using the wrong word. One word you will find here is "turnout." This is what most model railroaders call a track switch. On real railroads they're called "switches." Model railroads use a lot of electrical switches, toggle switches, micro-switches, Etc. so we use turnout for the track type & switch for the electrical type.

The files below are full of information about model railroading. Look through them if you wish. I also recommend the book, "Getting started in model railroading" by Jeff Wilson. You can buy a copy on www.amazon.com

Again, welcome aboard;

Traction Fan 🙂

Attachments

·
Registered
891 Posts
Greetings Lionel2022, Donnie Kennedy, and Mrmann from the Land of Lincoln, Welcome to MTF!
2 of you are O scale lovers and I can appreciate that, hope you enjoy the forum. Love the details you can get in that scale...so cool! Bryan, curious what a ton of model train stuff looks like. I am guessing multiple scales of stuff or all one scale? Hope you enjoy the forum and I hope to see you ALL, sharing your take on the things that keep you chugging along!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Greetings Lionel2022, Donnie Kennedy, and Mrmann from the Land of Lincoln, Welcome to MTF!
2 of you are O scale lovers and I can appreciate that, hope you enjoy the forum. Love the details you can get in that scale...so cool! Bryan, curious what a ton of model train stuff looks like. I am guessing multiple scales of stuff or all one scale? Hope you enjoy the forum and I hope to see you ALL, sharing your take on the things that keep you chugging along!
It looks like it's almost all HO scale. 15 locomotives. About 30 rolling stock. Some in pieces. Some buildings. 6 or so in pieces 3 still in the box. Ten or more controllers. And a couple storage totes of track.

·
Registered
10,034 Posts
Good to hear from you Bernie

Those old Lionels are durable but
after a while they need some TLC.
Clean out and replace the lubricants
with plastic friendly 'grease' and 'oil'
such as sold by Labelle at Hobby Shops,
It would help, also to burnish the
contacts in the reverser unit.

Don