Model Train Forum banner
8441 - 8460 of 8480 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Ironw;

Welcome to the forum, and to a great hobby. How much space do you have for a layout? O-gage trains are lots of fun & have a whole slew of operating accessories available. They do need a good deal of rom, and money. O-gauge, Three-rail is sort of a separate niche within the overall hobby of model railroading. It uses a different electrical system, based on that third rail down the center of the track and includes a different way of reversing a locomotive. All perfectly OK, just different, and the Lionel system has been working very reliably for many years.

We have a lot of very enthusiastic, and knowledgeable, O-scale modelers here. Check out our O-scale section for advice specifically related to that scale. The file below is about Model railroading in general, and aimed at new model railroaders, like you.

Again, Welcome aboard.

Traction Fan
For now the picture I showed is all the room I have. It's a 4 x 6 1/2 sheet of plywood with the other foot and a half from the sheet set onto the long end. The plan is to start learning how to make landscaping and such on that setup to figure out what I like. I figure if I really enjoy the modeling and scenery side of it all I might switch to HO so I can do more of that with the space I have. Eventually I'll have that whole small bedroom to use, but it'll be at least a couple years until I can (hopefully) move the bed and other stuff out.

Currently I'm playing with ways to add a mountain, slightly elevate part of the track that goes behind that, and I have two switches ordered to create an inner oval that will go through a tunnel. After that? Who knows, try to fit a couple buildings probably. I'm hoping to have enough room to build a running layout that I like in O gauge as I really like the size.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Hey everyone, I'm brand new to model trains so I'm here ready to learn! I decided to start into this hobby and bought a new lionel O gauge starter set then went back and bought more track the next day. I'm still waiting on a few pieces that needed to be ordered but I think the next step is to start modeling the scenery for my first layout! I'm really looking forward to seeing where this hobby takes me and finding out which parts I'll enjoy most (I'm thinking modeling and having a running setup but who knows).

Andrew View attachment 592618
Looking good. Model railroading is a great hobby. :)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi everyone,

Welcome to Model Train Forum, a brand new Internet discussion site for one of the world's greatest hobbies. My name is John (screenname: tworail) and I am the admin for this site. I hope it becomes a great online destination for model railroading, and keep an eye on the site as more features are introduced to make this site even better.

As far as modelling goes, I am currently into modelling German railways in N scale. I have a couple things on the go but will post pictures when I can. I also have NA HO scale equipment that I want to do something with, in the form of a small switching layout most likely as space is limited.

Please respond to this thread and introduce yourself!

John
Hello. Good to be here. I'm an HO scale modeler specializing in transitional era diesel electric locomotives and rolling stock. My layout is three 8×4 sections buttressed together in an "L" pattern. Total dimensions 16×8×4 consisting of two small towns (one commercial one industrial) with a farming community and wooded areas interspersed throughout.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Good day to all. I regret to say that I am not a train collector but I did acquire some older Lionel parts that I could use some help in identifying. I don't want to be rude and just jump in so I'm asking here if it would be okay to do that. If it is acceptable then could someone point me to the right place to ask me questions? The would have to do with post war "O" Lionel and some NOS parts. Thank you for considering.

·
Registered
652 Posts
Hello. Good to be here. I'm an HO scale modeler specializing in transitional era diesel electric locomotives and rolling stock. My layout is three 8×4 sections buttressed together in an "L" pattern. Total dimensions 16×8×4 consisting of two small towns (one commercial one industrial) with a farming community and wooded areas interspersed throughout.
Welcome to the fprum. I am sure you will find some kindred souls in the HO sub-forum group. It is pretty active.

·
Registered
652 Posts
Good day to all. I regret to say that I am not a train collector but I did acquire some older Lionel parts that I could use some help in identifying. I don't want to be rude and just jump in so I'm asking here if it would be okay to do that. If it is acceptable then could someone point me to the right place to ask me questions? The would have to do with post war "O" Lionel and some NOS parts. Thank you for considering.
welcome to the forum, and while it is a couple days late, Happy Birthday. I hope you had a good Nov. 10th. While I model in N scale, we do have an active group of Lionel modellers in the O scale sub-forum. If you post there, I am sure someone will be able to help you.

·
Registered
10,136 Posts
We're glad to have you join us.
There's a bunch of HO modelers waiting
in our HO forum. They enjoy being
helpful when asked.

17 X 10 is sure a lot of switching space. With a
layout that size you can have a very challenging
switching operation PLUS lots of room for continuous
running trains.

Don

·
Registered
16 Posts
We're glad to have you join us.
There's a bunch of HO modelers waiting
in our HO forum. They enjoy being
helpful when asked.

17 X 10 is sure a lot of switching space. With a
layout that size you can have a very challenging
switching operation PLUS lots of room for continuous
running trains.

Don
Thanks Don. 17 X 10 sure is a lot of space, however I still need space for a workbench, so no continuous running. I may dig deeper into N scale to circumvent this problem. Until next time.

·
Registered
5,796 Posts
Hello MTF members.
I am an HO scaler who is most interested in shelf style switching layouts based on prototype railroads. I am currently in the process of designing a layout for a space that is approximately 17x10 feet. I look forward to sharing my journey and engaging with the knowledgeable members of this community!
All-scale Railfan;

Is 17' x 10' the overall size of the entire room? You mention, further on in this thread, the space needed for a workbench.
That's still more space than many have, look at all the 4' x8' layouts that are around. Even with a workbench you could still do an around the walls layout if you wanted and there could be plenty of space in the middle to use for a workbench or whatever else you want. You can even put a workbench below part of the railroad. (see photo)
My own layout is roughly 10' x 10' And is a shelf type attached to three of the walls of my 20' x20' garage. That garage also has two work benches, a freezer, lots of storage shelves, and my wife can still park here SUV in the empty center space. My layout is N-scale, though with 16" minimum radius curves. It wouldn't require much expansion to use 18' or even 22" radius curves, making HO-scale doable.

Traction Fan

Attachments

·
Registered
16 Posts
All-scale Railfan;

Is 17' x 10' the overall size of the entire room? You mention, further on in this thread, the space needed for a workbench.
That's still more space than many have, look at all the 4' x8' layouts that are around. Even with a workbench you could still do an around the walls layout if you wanted and there could be plenty of space in the middle to use for a workbench or whatever else you want. You can even put a workbench below part of the railroad. (see photo)
My own layout is roughly 10' x 10' And is a shelf type attached to three of the walls of my 20' x20' garage. That garage also has two work benches, a freezer, lots of storage shelves, and my wife can still park here SUV in the empty center space. My layout is N-scale, though with 16" minimum radius curves. It wouldn't require much expansion to use 18' or even 22" radius curves, making HO-scale doable.

Traction Fan
17' x 10' is a rough approximation in terms of width, it's actually closer to 17' x 9.5'. You have a good point about putting the workbench in the center of the room, it could even be collapsible and placed under the layout per suggestion. I suppose my thinking was that the workbench would be mounted to the wall near the window for a spray booth. There are so many decisions, one may not to think of the most practical choice. Thank you for the insight, traction fan, you are very helpful.

·
Registered
5,796 Posts
17' x 10' is a rough approximation in terms of width, it's actually closer to 17' x 9.5'. You have a good point about putting the workbench in the center of the room, it could even be collapsible and placed under the layout per suggestion. I suppose my thinking was that the workbench would be mounted to the wall near the window for a spray booth. There are so many decisions, one may not to think of the most practical choice. Thank you for the insight, traction fan, you are very helpful.
If you're still in the planning stage, you might want to look through the attached files. They contain some information on decision making, and many aspects of model railroading. Combined sections 3 & 4 of the series have some sketches of how much layout can fit in a fairly small room. You might also look at the diagram of my own layout. Its in the "layout design" section of this forum near the end of a post called "Here are the layouts of some forum members." My workbench is under part of my layout, but not in the least collapsible. Its very strongly constructed with an 'L"-girder frame, and it is bolted to the wall, with one end near the big door of my garage. Nothing against spray booths, but I have not needed one, since I use Tamiya alcohol-based paint, and live in San Diego, CA. where the weather is usually mild enough to leave the garage open. I do have fans, one that blows fresh air in from the outside, and a ceiling-mounted exhaust fan that pulls air up and out a roof vent. So I guess my whole garage could be considered a sort of very large "spray booth."

Good Luck & Have Fun;

Traction Fan 🙂

Attachments

·
Registered
5,796 Posts
Hello, I am a new member here. I joined because I became tired dealing with another forum that deleted posts without warning even when placed in the right area. I model O scale (hi rail) primarily, but also some HO and N scale. This place seems really nice from what I've seen so far. It's good to be here.
trainsrulealot;

Welcome aboard Model Train Forum. Yes, I have heard some negative comments from other new members about their experiences on some other forums. I think you will find that we are a friendly, helpful, and pretty laid back forum.

Again Welcome;

Traction Fan 🙂

·
Registered
10,136 Posts
Sir Trainsalot

The Forum is a place to have fun with trains.
We try to stay on that subject. Check in on
the Forum of the scale that you have an
interest. Everyone of them has a bevy of
experienced modelers who'll be glad to
talk with you about your hobby.

Don

·
Registered
4 Posts
Merry Meet!
I'm Lucas, but just call me Lynx I guess?

I'm a complete noob to model railways.
As a kid, i grew up in a small town with several old wooden elevators along the tracks, and train went through once or twice everyday. Squashed alot of pennies... 😜

Now I live farther north where trains don't run anymore. Its funny as my kids aren't used to em, and I see em so rarely, I always get excited when we're on a trip and I see one.

The good old red n black CN engines and a mile or 2 of grain n oil cars with a few box cars n auto cars in the mix..

I recall as kid a friend of the family had a room, with about a 2ft space around the outside. The rest was a huge diaorama with electric cars.

I always wanted to make one, a little city, a little countryside, a lil industry, with running trains, and cars. Even thought of an actual fish pond with fish in it for a lake. (I have several aquariums and fish keeping isn't a problem.. lol)

Idealy, in my dream world, this would all be under a glass floor in my living room that i could remove the pannels of said glass floor in sections to work on it... maybe one day.

Anyways, I'm here to see n learn n decide between HO vs N scale to start with.. 😜

Id totally go N scale, but the HO scale engines have the smoke and the better sounds etc... but, i have seen my CN engines n Alberta grain cars etc in both scales...lol

Anyways, again, merry meet, and see you around!

~L~

·
Registered
5,796 Posts
Merry Meet!
I'm Lucas, but just call me Lynx I guess?

I'm a complete noob to model railways.
As a kid, i grew up in a small town with several old wooden elevators along the tracks, and train went through once or twice everyday. Squashed alot of pennies... 😜

Now I live farther north where trains don't run anymore. Its funny as my kids aren't used to em, and I see em so rarely, I always get excited when we're on a trip and I see one.

The good old red n black CN engines and a mile or 2 of grain n oil cars with a few box cars n auto cars in the mix..

I recall as kid a friend of the family had a room, with about a 2ft space around the outside. The rest was a huge diaorama with electric cars.

I always wanted to make one, a little city, a little countryside, a lil industry, with running trains, and cars. Even thought of an actual fish pond with fish in it for a lake. (I have several aquariums and fish keeping isn't a problem.. lol)

Idealy, in my dream world, this would all be under a glass floor in my living room that i could remove the pannels of said glass floor in sections to work on it... maybe one day.

Anyways, I'm here to see n learn n decide between HO vs N scale to start with.. 😜

Id totally go N scale, but the HO scale engines have the smoke and the better sounds etc... but, i have seen my CN engines n Alberta grain cars etc in both scales...lol

Anyways, again, merry meet, and see you around!

~L~
Lynx;

Welcome to the forum and to a great hobby. I wouldn't do any more squashed pennies, assuming you put them on top of a rail & let the locomotive squash them. That can injure, or possibly even kill, someone near the track. The penny may squirt outward from between the wheel and rail, with the speed and force of a bullet o_O This is per the railroads "Operation Lifesaver" safety program.

How much space do you have for a layout, or do you already have one ? Space may be a factor in your scale choice.
The file "Choosing a scale" has more information on this subject & may help you decide. The other files have info on model railroading in general, and particularly on planning & building a first layout.

Good Luck & Have Fun;

Traction Fan 🙂

Attachments

·
Registered
4 Posts
Aye, ya, that was many many years ago as a little kid. Im all grown up now... hehe.

As for space, i have several ideas, but its not really an issue. Well, im not goin G-scale, that would be an issue, but between N n HO, its not.
Essentially i have enough to do either reasonably well. I'll probably start off with a 4x8 sheet of plywood in the garage tho tbh.

I do have some ambitious n whimsicke dreams n ideas tho.
(Like im working on a new plant stand to go across our 10ft window, with intent of it having a small river with waterfall into an aquarium. Why couldn't it have a train too?
Im thinkin that would be N at best, or Z even.. but well see.. lol)

At any rate, thanks for the info links! I'll sot down n do some reading tonight. :D

I've watched alot of ytube vids on it lately too.. 😜

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi everyone,

Welcome to Model Train Forum, a brand new Internet discussion site for one of the world's greatest hobbies. My name is John (screenname: tworail) and I am the admin for this site. I hope it becomes a great online destination for model railroading, and keep an eye on the site as more features are introduced to make this site even better.

As far as modelling goes, I am currently into modelling German railways in N scale. I have a couple things on the go but will post pictures when I can. I also have NA HO scale equipment that I want to do something with, in the form of a small switching layout most likely as space is limited.

Please respond to this thread and introduce yourself!

John
hi everyone i,m oog48. my bros and i are reviving lionel 0 gauge trains from when we were kids. i have an engine i can,t identify. i could some help. will include pics next post.

8441 - 8460 of 8480 Posts