Model Train Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Nowadays, the train is one of the important transportations in Vietnam. It was built since the late 19th century , and till now it is more and more developing all over the country . For over 100 years of development, length of railway lines has been increased from 13km up to more than 3000km. This railway system connects 2 region southern – northern and localities across the country .

1) Basic parameters of railway in Vietnam.

_ Time : Vietnam railway system was ebtalished since 1881 in the south Vietnam.
_ Total length of railway system : 3,142,69km
_ The important railways : The whole system has 15 main roads are Hanoi – Sai Gon ; Gia Lam-Hai Phong ; Ha Noi – Dong Dang ; Yen Vien – Lao Cai ; Dong Anh – Thai Nguyen ; Kep – Luu Xa ; Kep – Ha Long ; Chi Linh – Pha Lai ; Bac Hong – Van Dien ; Mai Pha – Nam Duong ; Cau Giat – Nghia Dan ; Dieu Tri – Quy Nhon; Da Lat – Trai Mat ; Phu Ly – Kien Khe ; Muong Man – Phan Thiet .

2) The milestone of the railway industry in Vietnam

The long history of wars in VN has considerably impacted on its railway industry . Here is the developments of the whole railway system in 100 years :

In the period of time from 1881 to 1945 : In 1881, The first railway line in Vietnam with the length of 13km was constructed by the French colonists. The average gauge of the tracks was 1 meter at that time . It was mainly used to exploit the resources across the country to the fullest. By 1936, the French government in Vietnam completed the railway linking the North and the South of Vietnam.

From 1945 to 1975 : They have lived in a fierce battle and terrible destruction during the war. Most of Northern Vietnam railway line was destroyed by bombing. But the new railways has been built and continue to grow. Train industry at this time mainly shipping cargo during the war. It really is an important means of transportation in this period.

From 1975 to current : After the war ended, much railway lines were been completely destroyed or severely damaged , so the rail industry's tops priority is to focus on repairing damaged roads, quickly connecting north-south rail line to create favorable conditions for people traveling across the country. Next is effective operation of railways all over country and development of new ones. Nowadays, trains mostly serve the transportation of goods and people across the country .

In 2008, the approval of HCMC people's committee given to the municipal subway system construction is one of the most important events of Vietnam railway industry. If implemented successful, it would be a great progress in term of developing and modernizing the transportation system of the country.

3) Distinguishing types of railway in Vietnam

There are three main kinds of railways in VN such as: national railway, local railway and individual railway. National railway have the biggest used density with transiting cargoes and passengers. The next one is local railway that its services mostly in cities and neighbor areas. About private internal rails method, the private enterprises use it for conveyance of goods only .

It's really difficult to buy tickets directly at stations on the occasion of festivals or holidays due to large number of train users. Several new born purchasing form such as online ticket booking have helped passengers get easier to use.

·
Registered
11 Posts
There is a modeler in Australia who is building an N scale Vietnam prototype layout. As you might imagine, there is not a lot of "ready-to-run" material in the hobby market for this in ANY scale, so he's set himself a real challenge!
Check out his blog "Modeling the Railways of Vietnam":
http://modelvnrail.blogspot.com/2010_04_01_archive.html

and his prototype information website;
http://railvn.byethost3.com/links.html

You'll find it fascinating, I think!

There are also a couple of Vietnam Railway fans websites:
http://daumaytoaxe.com/forum/ (in Vietnamese with some English)
and www.railroadforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35250 (English)

and, of course, the official railways website:
www.vietnamrailways.com/

·
Railroad Tycoon
23,526 Posts
There is a modeler in Australia who is building an N scale Vietnam prototype layout. As you might imagine, there is not a lot of "ready-to-run" material in the hobby market for this in ANY scale, so he's set himself a real challenge!
Check out his blog "Modeling the Railways of Vietnam":
http://modelvnrail.blogspot.com/2010_04_01_archive.html

and his prototype information website;
http://railvn.byethost3.com/links.html

You'll find it fascinating, I think!

There are also a couple of Vietnam Railway fans websites:
http://daumaytoaxe.com/forum/ (in Vietnamese with some English)
and www.railroadforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35250 (English)

and, of course, the official railways website:
www.vietnamrailways.com/
Interesting write-up. Thanks for sharing.

I think I have read all that in a book before?

Read the last line,
Last edited by T-Man; 05-31-2012 at 11:43 AM. Reason: spam

Something tells me that blackrose might have copied and pasted just to post some spam.
We will see if he comes back and says something.:cool:

·
Yard Master & Research
10,584 Posts
Spam is unwanted promoting. This is a model train community and discussion topics vary. I removed your links and kept the write up. Normally I just ban the new member. Someone else replaced the links . For now I will just watch.

·
Railroad Tycoon
23,526 Posts
Hi everyone. I can't guess why I get spam report
Blackrose,
Why did it take you way over a month to reply back to your thread?:confused:
I read a book about Vietnam's railroads a while back.
Did you write a book? :confused:

T man, did you edit his original post? Did you take writing out of it?

·
Yard Master & Research
10,584 Posts
Just links in his signature, I gave the post a chance.
he link may be in his use profile under website.He is advertising the same information in another forum that I know of. His intentions are clear.

·
Railroad Tycoon
23,526 Posts
Just links in his signature, I gave the post a chance.
he link may be in his use profile under website.He is advertising the same information in another forum that I know of. His intentions are clear.

OH, :rolleyes:

There are a couple to clean up in the new join list today.
At least one is there right now.

·
Railroad Tycoon
23,526 Posts
im vietnamese... and the RR in vietnam suck... they dont take care of it..

How did you get the "bad" word through the site?:confused:
If I wrote it it (which I never would) would come out as *******.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts