Model Train Forum banner

Introduction

1K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  DonR 
#1 ·
Greetings Everyone,
I had an HO layout set up in my parents basement in my early to mid teens. When I received my drivers license and first vehicle, life changed dramatically.
Now that I'm disabled and live in an apartment, I no longer have large wood working machines. But I still make small things out of wood. I build and fly model rockets, do leather crafting, knife customizing and sharpening and detail painting.
Getting within weeks of turning 60, I'm thinking another HO layout in the near future. Currently in the designing phase. I know I want to model the area around where I grew up in the time frame of 1930 to 1940. Finding information for this period has turned out to be a hobby in it's own!
The real problem I have right now is figuring out how to create bench work in the Right Track Software. I have the bench work drawn up in Delta CAD (used it extensively in wood working) but the software's are not compatible.
Can anyone help with instructions getting bench work in Right Track? Or should I be using a different track design software? Before posting, I read a bit of the SCRAM thread. The problem I have with software is terminology they use to do things. It needs to be simple and straight forward and not filled with professional terminology you need a master's degree to understand it.
If worst comes to worst, I'll design my own track segments in Delta CAD and store them in a library. I am familiar with doing that at least.
I'll be lurking around reading stuff when time allows.
I will also mention I would prefer direct Emails instead of messages through the forum. They may set for days, even weeks before they get read. My Email is below.
adams.johne@outlook.com
BTW, I'm Irish...If you visit, bring JAMESON'S!!!

See less See more
#2 ·
Hello! I only use anyrail and haven't really gotten into it very much. But, the advantage to the track layout software is they have track and model liabraries, so it makes layout very easy.... well, it can make it easy. When it comes to using flex track that adds another layer of complexity, but since you're retired, and it appears with a strong thirst for new skills, then it's right up your alley.

#3 ·
Welcome aboard!

Woody;

Welcome to the forum! One disadvantage to posting your personal email address here is that someone may see it who would abuse it. This is a public forum, and anyone can look at it. I guess you're aware of that, and willing to take the risk. We encourage members to adopt a screen name, and not divulge their personal email addresses online, but that's up to you.
Another thing, you say you want replies via email, rather than on the forum. Well that might work if you only have one or two questions, and someone with the right answers is willing to email it to you. However, 90% of all the questions posted here are answered on the forum, not by email. So you may be cutting yourself off from a lot of good information. Can you simply look at the forum more often?
I suggest you repost your questions on the "Technical Forum" section. That's where our tech savvy folks hang out and they may be able to help you.
Since you are in an apartment, presumably with limited model railroad space, have you considered building a small, portable railroad in N-scale or Z-scale? They are very good at getting the most out of a limited space. That's just a suggestion from a 71 year old Irish-American N-scaler. If you prefer to model in HO-scale, that's your choice, and enjoy it! :)

again welcome;

Traction Fan :smilie_daumenpos:

#4 ·
It's always a pleasure to welcome new members of
our Forum.

The first thing you need before building your benchwork
is an idea of what type of shape your layout plans
will require.

I'm a big fan of using a module system. You build a
series of frames; squares, rectangles and the like of
various sizes. Make them of 1X3 lumber screwed
together. Bolt the same lumber as legs in L shape in the
corners for stability. Each module is bolted to it's
neighbors. Easy construction, and it can be rearranged
if your plans change. Top the frames with 1/4 " plywood
and 2" foam.

Don

#9 ·
I watched the videos on MRA for this type of bench work. Building the bench work isn't my problem (I've done fine wood working for almost 50 years), it's building it in the Right Track Software. It's a complex shape with 3 levels.
Actually, a dedicated building is in the works next to the museum in town. 32'x48' with 8' divided at one end for hidden staging, control room, lounge with seating, fridge, microwave, etc.

#10 ·
Hello all,

My father-in-law was a huge train collector and recently passed after a long battle with cancer. Now my mother-in-law has at least 100 trains, tracks, transformers, etc. that he collected over the past 20-30 years. I know that he spent thousands on his trains and took great pride in his vast collection. I recently joined to try to help my mother-in-law sell some of the collection. I will be getting together an inventory list and posting in appropriate thread in the coming days. Cheers!

-Banksy

#11 ·
Banksy

You can post a free ad in our For Sale or Trade forum showing the trains and accessories that
you have.

You'll want to state the 'scale' and power system that the layout uses...0 gauge 3 rail AC...HO or N 2 rail DC
or 2 rail DCC

It is best to take a number of photos of the major pieces in the collection. Pictures of a
group of cars...or a stack of tracks would be useful. Count the number of cars an the types...measure or estimate
the amount of track the and the number of turnouts...The more specific you can be the better...especially if
you provide brand names and makers.

You must state the price of items or for the whole shebang...but you may use 'Or better offer'.
You also must state your policy for payment and shipping.

You should also be aware that you can run free for sale ads in Craigslist 'Colllectibles' and 'Toys and
games:'. There are brokers and some hobby shops that buy large collections...while you don't
get anywhere near original value by using them you save the trouble and risks of shipping and
receiving payment.

Don

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.