Model Train Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Spent most of today doing a bit of an inventory of my trains. Tested which engines were Dc, dcc or dcc with sound. Made a list of everything in about 8 Rubbermaid boxes. Mentally exhausting.

Anyone got any good suggestions for how to keep an inventory of what you have? Be interesting to hear.

Craig

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I would like to use yard office and would use the pay version to get upgraded print options. My company is totally Mac and we all have Macs, IPads and iPhones, I have my DCC programming software on my old Mac. Maybe I need to get a PC to dedicate to trains...

I do realize excel would do it...I was just hoping for something a little more "fun" My fictional railroad, the "KIP" does not employ book keepers or accountants (I live with one, that's enough) lol.

Craig

·
Registered
402 Posts
You can put Boot Camp on your < 5 year old Mac and boot into Windows. You just have to have some spare hard drive space or add another hard drive for that purposee. You could also run Parallels or VMWare or other program which lets you run "Windows in a window".

·
Premium Member
13,362 Posts
You don't need to be an accountant to use Excel....I'm a mapping guy, and I can get around it pretty good....

But then again, if Yard Office is all set up and ready for input, then that might be the way for some/most....

·
Registered
1,773 Posts
There's no doubt Excel would work just fine. I use it to keep my books. I don't need a dedicated program for that, I know what numbers I want to track and I'm not a big outfit.

When I started thinking about what I wanted for a model inventory all kinds of ideas came up which require more skill than I have with excel.

Yard office has a list of actual road names and recording marks for different roads, and lets you import/create your own. It also displays your photo of the actual model with each record and you can keep a record of model service history or future needs.

All this moves it away from the realm of spreadsheet and into database category. The Microsoft product for that is Access and if I had the time I might learn to use it.

For now you can't beat Yard Office.:cool:

·
Registered
12,295 Posts
Now I know I have a small layout. I use a tool called a "brain" and an app called "memory" to track all my stuff. But I only have a dozen locos and about three dozen pieces of rolling stock.

I do use colored dot stickers to identify freight and passenger car issues: a red dot on the top means a wheel or truck problem, yellow is a coupler, blue anything else. When I fix the problem, I remove the sticker, and it can go back in service.

·
Registered
2,138 Posts
I have a large collection with a simple system. On the layout it is running well. Main display shelf is ready for track but not commonly used. Second display shelf is sitting long lime and should work but look at first, may need tlc from sitting. Then there is the minor repair box, the major repair box, the one step for parts box, Project drawers (two cabinets) of to-do projects. I simply move stuff from place to place. I have a good Idea of everything I have. If I am at a show and accidentally get a duplicate it is no big deal, real roads have several duplicate cars.

·
Registered
490 Posts
If you don't want to pay for Excel, there is always "Sheets" in Google Docs.

Or you can use "Calc" in LibreOffice which is free for Windows, Mac, and Linux; which is a functional equivalent to Microsoft Office.

http://www.libreoffice.org/

John

·
Registered
6,809 Posts
I have collected over 20 years and I have a large amount of model train items. I guess you could call 30 medium size cardboard boxes and 5 large plastic totes a large collection.
Its costing me rent at a storage unit. Something that helped me was to number the boxes
and on the inventory put what box each item is in. I can find any piece very quickly.

·
Registered
31 Posts

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Spence, that looks like a cool program, I belong to the Burlington club and we are thinking of starting operations soon and that looks like a program to consider.

I am currently using the box to bench to shelf system (plus an A-line style case for what comes to the club.) This works well for the current stuff. What I am dealing with is combining my collection with my fathers and keeping track of where things are. My father collected for 60 years without ever losing interest, so he left me with about 15 Rubbermaid boxes of engines alone. Every couple of months I go searching for something I remember and it's like Christmas because there's a ton of stuff I don't remember having. (This may be an age issue, lol)

I am playing with an Ipad app called Procollect that seems to be a generic version of what most have suggested. I think it would do the trick, but it would be nice to have something preconfigured for trains.

As for excel, I don't have any issues using Excel, I use it at work all the time though so I wanted to do something different at home.

My home Imac was in for updating a couple of years back and was found to be "un updatable" the techs told me that they think it might have been Imac #75 due to the serial number. Decoder Pro works fine on it and I think it has An old copy of parallels as well, so might go that route so I can run Yard office eventually.

Thanks all, went from knowing nothing to having everything I need to make a plan!

Craig

·
Registered
12 Posts
There is a program for mac called xmove (get it thru appple app store). The person who wrote it is German, but has english documentation. I started using and it has some predefined fiels but alot of it you can add or change.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Downloaded that one, thanks! It's exactly what I was looking for!

Spence, I live in Hamilton but run my business out of Oakville. I spend time at the Burlington club and lately the Guelph club (great layout that has been growing since the seventies)

Craig

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.