Model Train Forum banner

1 - 20 of 81 Posts

·
Registered
652 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright, I'm new on this forum so I hope I posted this in the right spot. I ordered a Usra 0-6-0 with Smoke and Vanderbilt Tender - U.P. 4441 (Greyhound) from Bachmann. The price seemed alright to me. I'm also new to Bachmann.(I'm a Atheann guy) Is Bachmann a good train co? I also know on the 0-6-0 that the front knuckle is a dummy but is this a alright train?

·
Registered
62 Posts
Bachmann

Depends who you talk to. I am sure there are plenty of opinions. I think a lot depends on which price point you are comfortable with. I would not rate Bacmann higher than Athearn but than again thats me. Just my opinion.
Happy New Year
Wayne

·
Registered
5,256 Posts
Welcome...:thumbsup:

As long as it's not the older Bachmann (if it runs without the tender attached) then you should be all right. They were notorious for cracking drive gears and underpowered motors---they used the same motor in their trolleys as well as their big steam. Their big steam was so bad that Bowser offered a re-powering kit and they earned the nickname "Botchmann"...

·
Registered
652 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Alright, buying this steamer was really just more of a test to see the quality of Bachmann so hopefully it turns out good!

·
Registered
5,256 Posts
I still buy the older Bachmann, but only because I know what I'm getting, they still look awesome and they can be had for real cheap from knowledgeable sellers...

·
Registered
226 Posts
I have two Bachmann steam engines, a 4-4-0 and an 0-6-0, both run well, pull well and have been all around good engines. This is my second 0-6-0 however as the first one I bought would not run fresh out of the box. My local train shop also had repair services and when they took the body off of the engine all of the internal parts fell out in a heap. This is a common problem on some of Bachmann's production lines according to the gentleman in the repair shop. Bachmann seems to know this happens because with no questions they replaced my 0-6-0 right there with a new one. This may have been the stores policy I am not sure, but the new one has never given me an issue.

·
Registered
652 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I sure as heck hope that don't happen to my train coming. The last repair shop close by went out two years ago. Shame, that place always had people going in and out.

·
Registered
2,138 Posts
I had the Bachmann 2-6-2. Basically the same engine with a pilot and trailing truck. The locomotive ran well and pulled great on the flat surfaces. Up a grade it broke traction easily and spun the wheels if there were to many cars. Over time the gears did start to grind. I found that my older Mantua and Riverosisi locomotives to be far better build and more durable over time. That said of the three only Bachmann is still around.

·
Registered
652 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm planning on maybe running the train a little bit, but other wise I have a nice display case waiting for it! :)

·
Registered
652 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
This is also going to be my first HO steamer so I'm pretty excited!

·
Registered
5,256 Posts
You can tell by the drawbar between the loco and tender that it is the older one, as there is just a plastic pin that hooks to a lip on the engine. Bachmann does have a great warranty service, so you won't be left out in the cold.

·
Registered
652 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I wonder if, with a little custom work done, I could put metal instead of plastic.

·
Registered
652 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Alright, I guess since it's going to be mostly a display train, it should be fine.

·
Registered
2,163 Posts
ehh as one stated depends on the price point your picking, for more experienced people who know a thing or two about remotering and repairing gears and things olderones are ok, for someone who does not know much on that stuff, I would say stick to the newer stuff or go Athearn...I personially prefer my Tyco engines and other trains like that, Athearn too...;) my prefered brand is Hornby :D

·
Registered
964 Posts
No, NEVER has locked up for me. The smoke unit is elementary though, you won't see a lot of smoke coming out of it no matter how much smoke fluid you put in. Also, it won't make smoke unless you're at full speed or somewhat decent "fast" speed.

·
Registered
964 Posts
I wonder if, with a little custom work done, I could put metal instead of plastic.
you wont need to and i sincerely like this setup of draw bar rather than the ones found on their larger steam locos (i hate how on my 4-8-4 northern, the draw bar sometimes moves down and detaches itself from the pin on the tender -_- )

1 - 20 of 81 Posts