Model Train Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm asking if it would be possible to put a 3 position e unit in a lionel 1130 scout loco. It has the metal moter not the plastic. I just need some help figuring out if its possible and how I would fit it in
15894324934478466494815184899211.jpg

·
Registered
479 Posts
I just happen to have 6ea. Lionel 1130 engines. Good running engine if taken care of. This engine already has a three position E-Unit installed from the factory. The lever is pretty well hidden under the rear truck assembly. Tandem Associates has a great read on this engine. Link is posted below.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I just happen to have 6ea. Lionel 1130 engines. Good running engine if taken care of. This engine already has a three position E-Unit installed from the factory. The lever is pretty well hidden under the rear truck assembly. Tandem Associates has a great read on this engine. Link is posted below.

I'm going to sound really dumb but Is it for sale and the 1130 i have only had a 2 position and it failed so i had to rewire it for only forwards

·
Yard Master & Research
10,635 Posts
This engine, the 1130 was my first. with a Babe Ruth box car, a tanker and caboose. Bought at an antique shop years ago. My very first purchase was three lithographed cars. The same kind but prewar but no engine.

·
Registered
1,996 Posts
Using ERIE's link the 248 and 249 had a two position reverse unit. I suspect the motor is not original. However the two position lever is exposed on the top. The 1130 does not have the slot.
I thought the prewar 248 box cab did not have reverse. No e-unit nor a switch. And my prewar 249E has a 3-position e-unit.

Oddly, Tandem Associates indicates the 1130 had a 3-position e-unit. Olsen's indicates part number 100-7 for that e-unit. That isn't listed on the train tender site. I'd email Jeff at T-tender to see if he has a compatible e-unit. Also, that gives weight to T-man's suspecting it's not the original motor. Take a pic of the motor out of the shell. That may help.

FYI: you cannot install most Lionel e-units upside down. It will not cycle. On power down, gravity pulls the plunger down into position to advance the drum on the next power up.. There are Lionel e-units that had a spring to reset the plunger. They were installed horizontally. In any case, you need an e-unit with the lever that will operate with the lever pointed down.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts