Model Train Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm thinking of sinking what is for me a lot of money into an F40PH-2D and a "The Canadian" 10 car set, but I'm starting to wonder if the loco will even be able to pull that many cars, especially up a 2% grade.

I couldn't find many reviews of Rapido N scale locos (especially ones not made by dealers). I did come across this old one of an FL9 and thats what got me worried: They talk about its pull being equivalent to only 7 passenger cars!

Any thoughts from you experienced hands out there would be much appreciated. Again, this is for me a lot of money and I really dont want to wait a year and find out I don't have a practical ensemble.

·
Registered
245 Posts
MY guess and only a guess is no. Your going to need at least two locos to pull 10 standard passenger cars up a 2% grade.

·
Registered
3,383 Posts
My locomotives have no problem pulling that many coaches up a 2%+ grade, but all of my locomotives have traction tires.

Ten coaches on my layout looks ridiculous though and I limit trains to five or six max.

·
Registered
8,178 Posts
If you Google “The Canadian”, you will see that the train almost always had more than one locomotive pulling it....

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If you Google “The Canadian”, you will see that the train almost always had more than one locomotive pulling it....
Indeed, but this is less of an accuracy question and more of a "I cant afford two" sort of thing. :) I guess the bottom line is that if it cant pull all 10, I'll just have to leave 2 or 3 coaches in the yard.

·
Registered
4,510 Posts
There's always the possibility you might find another loco on sale at a store or online or from a collector at some date in the future. Till then, rotate your cars so all of them get some wear equally.

·
Registered
70 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have both the E5A and an F40 and the E5 is much more powerful and bigger.
I think a lot depends on how well the cars roll.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts