Model Train Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know of a DCC decoder cheat sheet that is a printable version? Meaning pin count by manufacturer to simplify the process from DC to DCC? It would be a very beneficial tool if such sheet exists whether it be made by a fellow modeler or by manufacturers. Also, a suggested decoder item number brand or make broken down to add simplicity to the process.

A recommended decoder based on price and functions. If there is such a thing with a provided link to the information it would be very appreciated.

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
You want a chart that will show you at a glance what CV does what, right?
With more than 500CVs available to toggle, I really don't think it would be an "at a glance" chart.
I think you might be better off just maintaining the basic items like momentum, mid speed range and top speed along with starting voltage.
JMRI provides a little better view of more options as you become familiar with what the various decoders can do. As you get into the sound decoders, you have more CVs to deal with, i.e. which horn, which bell, what speed the brake squeal kicks in at.
LokSound gives you an even better look at those features but their LokProgrammer only works with the LokSound decoders.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You want a chart that will show you at a glance what CV does what, right?
With more than 500CVs available to toggle, I really don't think it would be an "at a glance" chart.
I think you might be better off just maintaining the basic items like momentum, mid speed range and top speed along with starting voltage.
JMRI provides a little better view of more options as you become familiar with what the various decoders can do. As you get into the sound decoders, you have more CVs to deal with, i.e. which horn, which bell, what speed the brake squeal kicks in at.
LokSound gives you an even better look at those features but their LokProgrammer only works with the LokSound decoders.
Do you have a direct link for this info.?

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
download the JMRI software. It's free but you will need an interface between your computer and a programming track.
The JMRI web page has information on establishing a programming track and interface. Just gotta put a little time in to read up on it so ya know what you're doing.

Here's a link to JMRI

·
Registered
9,778 Posts
download the JMRI software. It's free but you will need an interface between your computer and a programming track.
The JMRI web page has information on establishing a programming track and interface. Just gotta put a little time in to read up on it so ya know what you're doing.

Here's a link to JMRI

JMRI works just fine on a stand alone computer. You only need the PC to programming track interface if you actually want to write decoders with it. Otherwise, you can just use it to determine the values requires and program the CV's manually from your DCC handset.

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
Ok yeah maybe the idea is not exactly ideal. Somewhere in jmri are these tables. I'm sure they are some kind of config file but as a user you see it through the user interface. Given that if you just wanted the tables to make a cheat sheet of CVs. Then you'd have to learn enough about jmri to discombobulate it all...

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
Ahhhhh, the old discombobulate action. That works on DC too.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts