Model Train Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I am making a new layout for my trains, and wanted to see previous errors I had made, but after finding them and watching them, I can't find the issues. I made a youtube video about it here:
. Can any of you guys give me some advice as to how to prevent some of these derailments?

·
Registered
680 Posts
If you’re going to run trains on carpet you need a solid base. Roadbed type track would be much better than regular sectional track. This would be track that has plastic roadbed attached to it, such as Kato Unitrack or Bachmann easy track. It would be more stable than just laying bare track on carpet.
Ideally layouts need to be on wood or extruded foam platforms but roadbed track would be better than nothing.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's going to be nailed down to some old wood cabinets, any advice for that?

·
Registered
816 Posts
its obvious that that darn cat is doing it while you're not looking! But yes, drive the nails just halfway and clinch 'em over onto the ties. That way they will be easier to grip and pull out later when you redo it...

·
Registered
816 Posts
Hey, ATT, we're just full of helpful tips here, just keep those videos coming...

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
Stop now and do a lot of reading.
In short, avoid ALL kinks in trackwork, left, right, up, or down kinks.
I see many in you video.
There is an expression, "it's not perfect but it's good enough"
THIS DOES NOT APPLY TO TRACKWORK
Your goal is perfection.
For example, when two straight sections are joined together, you should be able to look down the rails and see a perfectly straight line. Curved sections should look like one long continuous curve.

Now on a rug, you can build it perfect, but then your cat walks on it and creates a kink.
On a rug, as the engine rolls over a joint, one section of track gets pushed down into the rug,and you have an up-down kink.

Try and lay a perfect 18" radius circle of track on a piece of plywood for practice.

Here is some good reading.

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
Track on carpet is a tough one. I would use Liquid Nails under the track to keep it solidly connected to the carpet.

·
Railroad Tycoon
23,876 Posts
I would add 2 more cats to the collection, maybe a dog too?
And nail it into the rug already. :rolleyes:
Cabinets?

Maybe sell the trains and get into flying drones? :)

·
Registered
4,511 Posts
I think Dennis461 nailed your problems...trackwork. I noticed the kinks at joints and the track moving. Can't have that! Give up trying to run on the carpet and just get on with permanently mounting your track. Pay VERY close attention to every joint. Besides, running on the carpet with cat hair around gets all those fibers up into the gears on your locos and makes things very messy! Good luck.

PS: Slow the trains down a bit too...speed kills!

·
Registered
816 Posts
I have applied my Tongue-In-Cheek algorithm to these posts and derived a TIC of 8 out of 10.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts