Model Train Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have NEM 362 pockets that are getting bent down because the cars must crash together to couple. Then the NEM pockets break off completely.

I made a rough drawing to show what I am looking for in red, see attached.

I have actually seen something like this on old antique trains . The idea is a support bar that prevents the NEM 362 pocket from bending downward and keeps it in place. In the case of many passenger cars this needs to allow the NEM pocket to move horizontally.

If it already exists that I can add to my passenger cars then great. Otherwise I need to see about how to make some.

·
Registered
3,372 Posts
I've never seen anything like that offered for sale for modern European rolling stock.

It shouldn't be too difficult to fabricate a support bracket to support the coupler arm. I know many of these arms are very long on passenger wagons and are easily damaged.

I would also slow your locomotive down before coupling and use the shunting mode. Usually (but not always) F4 or F6 for ESU and Viessmann decoders.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've never seen anything like that offered for sale for modern European rolling stock.

It shouldn't be too difficult to fabricate a support bracket to support the coupler arm. I know many of these arms are very long on passenger wagons and are easily damaged.

I would also slow your locomotive down before coupling and use the shunting mode. Usually (but not always) F4 or F6 for ESU and Viessmann decoders.
This is all analog

Not too difficult?
What method or materials do you suggest?

·
Registered
3,372 Posts
Evergreen plastic, brass or aluminum stock, even scrap plastic from a structure kit.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You are making the assumption that I have the skill and tools to form it correctly and straight.

That is not that easy for my skillset and toolbox.

I have no way of cutting plastic cleanly at a 90 degree angle nor to bend brass or aluminum at 90 degree angles cleanly.

Had I such skill and tools, I would have never posted here.

·
Registered
3,372 Posts
Then you are pretty much out of luck until you attempt to increase your skill level.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts