Model Train Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Railroad Tycoon
25,839 Posts
Got this private message below in my email. nicolass22's status is listed as "banned". He sent me an email link to somebody who is selling the NYC passenger cars like I am looking to buy. Looked up his profile and NOTHING is available. Some pretty strong clues here.

nicholas22 started a new conversation with you at NY Central Passenger Cars
You got a message here?
Or in your email?

·
Registered
2,774 Posts
Good for you for being careful and sufficiently skeptical to inquire before committing yourself in any way. In almost all cases, 99.6% of the time, unsolicited comms that come to one via any means is an attempt to make one regret bitterly what comes next.

·
Railroad Tycoon
25,839 Posts
Thanks... Sorry hate to use the band width or whatever it is called. Thanks for your work. Big Ed, it was sent to my email.
I wonder how he got your e mail address?
Have you ever posted here anywhere your e mail address?

·
Admin
47,884 Posts
I wonder how he got your e mail address?
Have you ever posted here anywhere your e mail address?
He was a registered user, at least for a few hours. At that time, he could have looked at User Profiles and scooped up any public email address. He could also be registered here under a few other names, we'd never know.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I received two PM’s from this same profile related to “want to buy” posts I had previously made. The two DM’s were identical and his profile was tagged “banned,” so that was all I needed to believe 100% it was spam. Kudos, admins!

·
Premium Member
HO 1950s SP in So. Cal.
2,667 Posts
Here is another one.

This just came up on the Train Orders.com forum today.
"It has come to our attention that a website called “Rapido Stores” has recently surfaced on the internet which claims to sell our products for extremely deep discounts. Please note that this website is a scam and not related to Rapido Trains Inc in any way.

Magic

·
Registered
210 Posts
I am an administrator at a snowmobile/atv site that uses the same operating system as this site. We get people trying to get in everyday that have previously be banned. Mostly it's spammers, not as many scammers as before. New members sign up but first they must be approved by a mod or admin. 75% are spammers lately. Our personnel emails address' are not provided to anyone who is a member. The only people allowed to see email address' are the mod/admin team. This operating system is quite popular with tons of forums, so it doesn't surprise me that someone learned how to get thru the cracks. We have a fair amount of mod/admin team members and the site isnt nearly as large as this one member wise. I do not know how many mods are at this site. The most popular day for spammers to sign up is Saturday. I have no idea why that is. Any new member that has a link in their page isnt approved. Any new member cannot post in the classified section until they have a minimum of 25 posts. People posting from their phone may not have the same security as someone using a computer. People belonging to multiple similar sites spread the word quickly about scammers, which is very helpful.

·
Railroad Tycoon
25,839 Posts
I’m selling a lab located in Wuhan, China.
Slightly used, but otherwise ok. Not disinfected.
I’m tossing the Eiffel Tower into the sale for free.
Hundred-fiddy bucks.
Can you toss in the Brooklyn bridge?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts