Model Train Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
7,793 Posts
I have made no purchases on eBay for the past 6 months, because I haven't found what I want at the price I want.....I don't go out and buy trains just because they are cheap, I am getting picky in my old age.....so this buyer (me) does not see a buyer's market there.....I guess it's in the eye of the beholder.....

And maybe those locomotives that you said didn't sell were priced too high.....is that the reason?

·
Registered
2 Posts
It will certainly rise like it did in 2016 if Trump wins a second term which I believe he will. That is even better news for our portfolios.
This is exactly the reason that I and most of the younger cohort are abandoning model railroading. Why bring politics into it? Why put a huge 'TRUMP' banner on the G gauge box cars at a train show, like i saw one time? My kids love trains, but encounter old man hostility at shows and political diatribes at the tables. We were lectured by a man oer the fact that Thomas was adding 'female' engines, to a 5 year old. That's what's killing this hobby.

·
Registered
7,793 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Norfolk southern guy, I wouldn't get to rattled. It seems even on this forum there always has to be the internet guru's that think they know everything. These boards are suppose to enhance the hobbie but unfortunately it doesn't. Every post seems to be answered with a smart comment.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Norfolk southern guy, I wouldn't get to rattled. It seems even on this forum there always has to be the internet guru's that think they know everything. These boards are suppose to enhance the hobbie but unfortunately it doesn't. Every post seems to be answered with a smart comment.
Dramatic much?😒

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
I appreciate you posting this. This is a big problem on this forum and honestly it is a shame. I am just now responding to you because I haven't been back here since the last unnecessary drama fest and I now see it has continued without me. WOW unbelievable.. I was debating on dropping this forum because of this same old stuff.. That was before I see the non sense is still going!!

A good forum for any hobby is about people on the same team getting together to help each other, offer advice, share a laugh, be able to discuss anything and everything about the hobby, support each other, feel welcome and appreciated. I do not feel that way here and never really have.

Its the same people doing all the talking. Its their way or no way and no one speaks up to stop others from being rude or making constant negative comments.

Take this post as the perfect example. In a nut shell I was a bit excited that I had never seen prices as good as they are for hobby related items on eBay. I come on to share that information because to me its passing the good word on. If you do not have to sell then wait but if you are looking to grab some things then now is the time. I am not the CEO of eBay but I have been extremely active on eBay for 25 years and I buy ALOT.. TOO MUCH but its true. I want to pass that on that hey this is a good time to buy!

OH and by the way as I have mentioned on here before I am very involved in the financial sector for 20+ years, my wife is a Financial Advisor and a senior partner/owner so while I am at it YES now is a great time to buy into the stock market! THIS CAN MAKE YOU MONEY LATER IN LIFE - That's good news right? just like eBay - good news right?? Yes - ALL POSITIVE and I want to spread the word! WHY?? Well that's what we do to help each other right??? Your welcome! right? WRONG - NOT HERE!

The decades of buying train items new and used which makes up 95% of my 2000 + piece collection I bought from eBay. YES I would also would like to say that I am genuinely impressed with how well they hold their value! That's a positive thing right??? YES that's fantastic!! Right?

Well... not quite … not to this forum... "my trains are worthless"... "I just assume my collection to be money lost"... "trains aren't like real-estate....."... "I was looking at something for $100 and I just know that I paid $30 for mine back whenever blah blah.." "YEAH IT DOESNT LOOK LIKE NO BUYERS MARKET TO ME!".... OH and now there is more been added in my absence! NOW some person with 2 posts is blaming me because I stated the fact that if trump wins it will help our portfolios. Not a opinion btw its FACTUAL DATA right? "you old guys with a Trump banner on a G-Scale car makes us leave the hobby" WHAT???

I am not sure who he thinks he is talking to but I am in my 40's and I haven't been to any train show no where so I have no idea what this guy is talking about. Is this all a bad comedy skit here or what??

Dave then you actually speak up for what is true here and I honestly appreciate that because no one speaks up against the same ones that do all the talking... What do you get in return? Dave are you dramatic much? I couldn't make this stuff up if I had to....

Everything I just mentioned (paragraphs to even address them all) from what I started as a friendly, helpful, healthy POSITIVE discussion about our hobby, our trains, our stock market in a time when all the news is bad news via main stream media....

I am just blowing hot air and Dave is dramatic... wow... and everyone else that has posted negative and argumentative comments on here are what? The ray of sunshine for the forum? or DRAMATIC is more fitting clearly.

Until this forum gets Moderators that do not tolerate the bullying, negativity, smart comments etc etc it will remain just as it is now and has been since I been here. The same people doing 90% of the talking will ALWAYS be the same people doing 90% of the talking. Old school, cheap, set it their ways, knows everything, negativity, negativity and more negativity. Welcome to the forum.

If speaking the truth on nonsense such as this gets this account banned them so be it. No loss here.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
I have made no purchases on eBay for the past 6 months, because I haven't found what I want at the price I want.....I don't go out and buy trains just because they are cheap, I am getting picky in my old age.....so this buyer (me) does not see a buyer's market there.....I guess it's in the eye of the beholder.....

And maybe those locomotives that you said didn't sell were priced too high.....is that the reason?
Then you have no place at the table to be so opinionated and sure of a market that you have spent $0 dollars in. What's your point? If you do not have anything good to say to someone who is speaking of good things then do not bother bringing your negativity into a conversation that isn't meant for you.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Dramatic much?😒
Speaking the truth and not afraid of your negative bully friend is not dramatic. Its quite the opposite and called having a back bone. Maybe you need to find your back bone again if you ever had it to begin with.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
I like a good deal myself but I will pay for something I want. I also like to "Take a chance" Like this one. It says non powered but everything the mdl# and all the pics says otherwise. Broadway Limited Western Pacific #801B EMD F3B | eBay
What do you think?? Did I get a deal or not and what are the chances of them being wrong.
For what it is worth in this mess of comments except for yours and maybe 2 others. I think you got a great deal there. I really like that WP paint scheme and always have. It reminds me of the Daylight scheme and that's another looker indeed.

·
Registered
7,793 Posts
Then you have no place at the table to be so opinionated and sure of a market that you have spent $0 dollars in. What's your point? If you do not have anything good to say to someone who is speaking of good things then do not bother bringing your negativity into a conversation that isn't meant for you.
I am merely disagreeing with your assertion that model train prices are great on eBay right now.......that is certainly not my observation, items seem to be priced rather high, in my opinion, which is why I haven't bought any trains on eBay lately...

If you want to call that negativity, then go right ahead.....just because people don't agree with you doesn't mean that they are negative.....so take a chill pill.....

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
I am merely disagreeing with your assertion that model train prices are great on eBay right now.......that is certainly not my observation, items seem to be priced rather high, in my opinion, which is why I haven't bought any trains on eBay lately...

If you want to call that negativity, then go right ahead.....just because people don't agree with you doesn't mean that they are negative.....so take a chill pill.....
You can speak in a certain way to be respectful but the way you go about things is un-called for. You couldn't just say "thanks for the update I will have to keep a eye on it see what I may be able to find for myself". You have to come back speaking negative then come back yet again with "yeah it sure doesn't look like a buyers market to me" and come back and back and back.. poke, poke and poke at someone who has done NOTHING to you. You are not even active on eBay from you own words so pick some other topic to troll with negative comments on and not one you know nothing about. Its very easy to do..

Let it go and find other areas that you know something about.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
This is exactly the reason that I and most of the younger cohort are abandoning model railroading. Why bring politics into it? Why put a huge 'TRUMP' banner on the G gauge box cars at a train show, like i saw one time? My kids love trains, but encounter old man hostility at shows and political diatribes at the tables. We were lectured by a man oer the fact that Thomas was adding 'female' engines, to a 5 year old. That's what's killing this hobby.
What is your portfolio geared towards and what do you want to achieve in your portfolio?? If you want to lose money then that's your choice. I am speaking from factual data of the markets history prior to the 2016 elections and the projections if the same path is followed in 2020. Do you even know what I am talking about?

I am not sure who you label as a younger cohort and some old men hurt your feelings for expressing their freedom of speech of who they politically support at a train show but if you are getting so butt hurt over it to say that these old men are what is turning younger hobbyist away from the hobby is absolutely ridiculous.

I am in my 40's not some old codger sitting at a train show first of all, I also have a 10 year old son and 14 year old daughter myself. Do you get scared when the car in front of you at a redlight has a bumper sticker on it for a candidate you do not agree with?? Do you boycott that car company for having a sticker on it you do not agree with? That's the silliest thing I have ever heard in my life.

If you get all upset and bent out of shape over peoples political views at a train show. I do not see how coming online to this forum or any other forum to find your answers is the right idea.

Furthermore by looking for the answer to some old men's choice of sticker on their train car at their booth on this forum or any other forum is very strange because no one here has the answer to why you are so non-tolerant of peoples beliefs. That is something you need to work on with yourself but high jacking my thread of factual market trends is the last place you will pass blame or find your answer.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Do you get scared when the car in front of you at a redlight has a bumper sticker on it for a candidate you do not agree with?? Do you boycott that car company for having a sticker on it you do not agree with? That's the silliest thing I have ever heard in my life.
Your telling Hobo to be respectful one second, yet you are here mocking this guy the next because he doesn't agree with you??? And again...telling me I have no backbone because you didn't agree with me? I thought you were all about everyone having their own opinion. You could have been as polite and priss as you make yourself out to be and said "sorry, I don't really agree with that" on all three counts. Seems pretty assumptive of you to say that Hobo is my "negative bully friend" just because we are both Canadians, I barely know him, I was just (in your words) speaking what was to me "the truth".

·
Registered
7,793 Posts
Looks like someone took his cranky pill today.....I've been as respectful as everyone else in this thread, the one difference being is that I disagreed, respectfully I might add, with your opinion.....that is the way the world works, we don't all have the same rosy outlook.....so we are allowed disagree with one another, at least we were allowed the last time I checked.....you can accept that, or, as you said, "get all upset and bent out of shape" and wig out with another rant reply.....in fact, I eagerly await it....;)

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
Your telling Hobo to be respectful one second, yet you are here mocking this guy the next because he doesn't agree with you??? And again...telling me I have no backbone because you didn't agree with me? I thought you were all about everyone having their own opinion. You could have been as polite and priss as you make yourself out to be and said "sorry, I don't really agree with that" on all three counts. Seems pretty assumptive of you to say that Hobo is my "negative bully friend" just because we are both Canadians, I barely know him, I was just (in your words) speaking what was to me "the truth".
I started this whole post as a positive conversation over 2 weeks ago. YOU and your negative buddy has added 0 content except negative garbage the is not needed. When you have no experience on the topic and have nothing good to say then keep it to yourself.

Hobo is always negative with smart remarks and you can find it all over this forum. Members have messaged me sick and tired of his constant remarks. You obviously do not get it and he sure doesn’t.

i see many things I do not agree with but I do not have to stick my nose in it with high school comments to bring down the vibe of the conversation. Especially if I know absolutely nothing about the topic.

A member steps in 2 weeks later after hearing his nonsense of basically calling me a lier about the current market and you have to jump in to the positive guy calling him dramatic? Grow up. Members know what I am talking about by the messages I have received and I appreciate that.

They are staying out of his nonsense and not catering to his drama of knowing it all but has no idea of the resellers market or the financial market of the country. They are smart and not into this silly stuff like you and him.

i get tired of nonsense going on over 2 weeks now so yeah I am going to speak up. A new member gets on to insult All of you “old men” and what’s going on at a train show. Blaming who he thinks is a old man in me but he is wrong but he is still going to blame my analysis of what’s proven on the Wall Street numbers and you old men being the reason young people are leaving the hobby. Which is flat out absurd. You and your buddy missed that insult completely which is hilarious yet very sad.

If you do not know what your talking about, having nothing useful to add except negative drama then do not insert your garbage. It’s that simple. I have already catered enough to you and grandpa know nothings clueless bs.

You and your sweetie hobo go start a new thread offering nothing productive then you and him can pat each other on the back as much as you want. Otherwise get lost and go text each other or something. Good lord grow up. You 2 have embarrassed yourself enough.

21 - 39 of 39 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.