Model Train Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
700 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
it might just be me, (for well obvious reasons but i digress) but dont you hate it when you walk in to a hobby shop and the people there ignore you for a while then they ask you who you are buying for and what they model and you say myself and i model the GN and you see it dawn in they're eyes that you ARE in the hobby and NOT buying for somebody else and then they pay a LOT more attention to you

sorry for the rant just needed to get it out..........:eek:hwell:

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
What do you wear, trenchcoat, hoodie pulled over eyes?
how old are you, 10, 110
was it around Christmas time ("..who are you buying for..")

:eek:

My LHS is pretty good with knowing I don't need help, or maybe they ignore all their customers.

·
Railroad Tycoon
24,336 Posts
it might just be me, (for well obvious reasons but i digress) but dont you hate it when you walk in to a hobby shop and the people there ignore you for a while then they ask you who you are buying for and what they model and you say myself and i model the GN and you see it dawn in they're eyes that you ARE in the hobby and NOT buying for somebody else and then they pay a LOT more attention to you

sorry for the rant just needed to get it out..........:eek:hwell:
Well not too many young ladies are into the hobby?
You are an exception.

And after they know, you are just a $$$$$$ sign to them. :p
But they are in the business to sell, and with the internet hobby shops are struggling to stay a float.

Once you go there a few times they will get to know you and your interest. Have faith. :smokin:

Just do your research on cost, you might be able to do a little haggling, especially if the items are used and are there on consignment. There is wiggle room for those.
That is the first place I go when I go to my hobby store, the used section :)

Also I am talking about a Mom and Pop hobby store not something like Hobby lobby.

·
Registered
700 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well not too many young ladies are into the hobby?
You are an exception.

And after they know, you are just a $$$$$$ sign to them. :p
But they are in the business to sell, and with the internet hobby shops are struggling to stay a float.

Once you go there a few times they will get to know you and your interest. Have faith. :smokin:

Just do your research on cost, you might be able to do a little haggling, especially if the items are used and are there on consignment. There is wiggle room for those.
That is the first place I go when I go to my hobby store, the used section :)

Also I am talking about a Mom and Pop hobby store not something like Hobby lobby.
this is true......

i agree best place ever the real gems are there!

·
Registered
700 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What do you wear, trenchcoat, hoodie pulled over eyes?
how old are you, 10, 110
was it around Christmas time ("..who are you buying for..")

My LHS is pretty good with knowing I don't need help, or maybe they ignore all their customers.

nope i am that shady normally i just wear some ripped jeans and a tee shirt and a ponytail

nope, not around Christmas last weekend

·
Premium Member
9,744 Posts
Your first sentence was so long I had to go to the bathroom before reaching the end....:eek:hwell:

·
Railroad Tycoon
24,336 Posts
Your first sentence was so long I had to go to the bathroom before reaching the end....:eek:hwell:
Something may be wrong with you.:p
I would go and see the doctor. :smokin:

·
Registered
90 Posts
I know exactly what she is talking about.

It seems like there is some kind of law that says local hobby shops have to be run by cranky old curmudgeons who are more interested in hanging around the dirty, dusty 4 by 6 Lionel layout chewing the fat with a gang of their equally cranky and curmudgeonly railroad buddies than in actually providing any customer service.

I have been in one half a dozen times, and I have yet to have anyone come up to me and ask "May I help you?" I am trying to decide whether to use my power of invisibility for good or for evil.

Not that it is that hard to find the few N scale offerings, which consists of just a metal revolving tree of Kato Unitrack that apparently won't be restocked until it is totally empty, and a shelf of consignment used freight cars, most with Rapido couplers, squeezed in between stacks and stacks of Lionel cars and buildings, which if the dust coating is any indication, date back to the Nixon years. And a couple of marked up Kato starter sets and locomotives.

I have made half a dozen or so visits, and I always buy something, even if it is just a courtesy purchase of a magazine. I really want to support local businesses, but between the lack of customer service, the meager selection of N scale, and the generally dirty shelves and stock, it is difficult to want to drive across town to do so.

On the other hand, I can sit at my computer and get just about any Kato N scale product I want from Amazon without having to even put on my pants. And most of it arrives within a couple of days.

Plus, if I do not like what shows up, returns are simple and 'no questions asked'.

There is hardly any incentive any more to support local businesses.

And while I am on this rant, why is it that every on-line model railroad dealer always has 90 percent of its catalog perpetually flagged 'out-of-stock' or 'back order'. Even a company as big as Walther's. Don't they ever update their websites?

And you can tell that for the 'back order' items, they are just going to wait until they have enough for an order from Walther's, then they will add your items to it, and when it gets to them, they'll mark it up, repackage it, and ship it on to you. I can do that myself.

Finally, I would add that I, too, am a cranky old curmudgeon, so I know them when I see them.

·
Premium Member
9,744 Posts
Something may be wrong with you.:p
I would go and see the doctor. :smokin:
Why? Because I went to the bathroom? Don't you ever have to go to the bathroom? Don't answer if that makes you feel uncomfortable.....:laugh:

·
Railroad Tycoon
24,336 Posts
Why? Because I went to the bathroom? Don't you ever have to go to the bathroom? Don't answer if that makes you feel uncomfortable.....:laugh:
Not in the time that it takes to read a short runaway sentence.:goofball:
Take a leak before you come on, or a #2 if that suits you.

I know you had to say something to criticize someone.:rolleyes:
You are puuuurfect!:rolleyes:

I know that it makes your day when you can say anything negative about something. :smokin:

·
Premium Member
9,744 Posts
You are puuuurfect
Thanks for the compliment....but only God is perfect.....I'm merely very good......;)

Besides, I did not criticize, she said to tell her about using text speech....many text sentences are far too long....just trying to help....

·
Registered
700 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I know exactly what she is talking about.

It seems like there is some kind of law that says local hobby shops have to be run by cranky old curmudgeons who are more interested in hanging around the dirty, dusty 4 by 6 Lionel layout chewing the fat with a gang of their equally cranky and curmudgeonly railroad buddies than in actually providing any customer service.

I have been in one half a dozen times, and I have yet to have anyone come up to me and ask "May I help you?" I am trying to decide whether to use my power of invisibility for good or for evil.

Not that it is that hard to find the few N scale offerings, which consists of just a metal revolving tree of Kato Unitrack that apparently won't be restocked until it is totally empty, and a shelf of consignment used freight cars, most with Rapido couplers, squeezed in between stacks and stacks of Lionel cars and buildings, which if the dust coating is any indication, date back to the Nixon years. And a couple of marked up Kato starter sets and locomotives.

I have made half a dozen or so visits, and I always buy something, even if it is just a courtesy purchase of a magazine. I really want to support local businesses, but between the lack of customer service, the meager selection of N scale, and the generally dirty shelves and stock, it is difficult to want to drive across town to do so.

On the other hand, I can sit at my computer and get just about any Kato N scale product I want from Amazon without having to even put on my pants. And most of it arrives within a couple of days.

Plus, if I do not like what shows up, returns are simple and 'no questions asked'.

There is hardly any incentive any more to support local businesses.

And while I am on this rant, why is it that every on-line model railroad dealer always has 90 percent of its catalog perpetually flagged 'out-of-stock' or 'back order'. Even a company as big as Walther's. Don't they ever update their websites?

And you can tell that for the 'back order' items, they are just going to wait until they have enough for an order from Walther's, then they will add your items to it, and when it gets to them, they'll mark it up, repackage it, and ship it on to you. I can do that myself.

Finally, I would add that I, too, am a cranky old curmudgeon, so I know them when I see them.
i would agree for some shops....... but riders in grand rapids TO MUCH EMPLOYEES like chill guys i dont need help every 10 seconds :smilie_daumenneg:

and hobby recycling Wyoming MI love. it. there. regular customer perks too! :D

·
Registered
700 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Not in the time that it takes to read a short runaway sentence.:goofball:
Take a leak before you come on, or a #2 if that suits you.

I know you had to say something to criticize someone.:rolleyes:
You are puuuurfect!:rolleyes:

I know that it makes your day when you can say anything negative about something. :smokin:
Thanks for the compliment....but only God is perfect.....I'm merely very good......;)

Besides, I did not criticize, she said to tell her about using text speech....many text sentences are far too long....just trying to help....

alright. alright. not on this thread try on another, THIS thread will stay on topic ( unlike most :eek:hwell: )

but, chill guys :p

·
Premium Member
9,744 Posts
Will do....

As for local hobby shop experience, maybe there's a reason that many are forced to go out of business (other than blaming the Internet)....good customer service needs to be a good part of their business regimen, and it definately does make a difference to their bottom line....

And I know that from experience, the train store I work with has excellent customer service, and is doing better than it ever has; it's been in business since 1972, and it's getting stonger every year.....

·
Railroad Tycoon
24,336 Posts
🥶

tenor.gif

·
Registered
700 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Will do....

As for local hobby shop experience, maybe there's a reason that many are forced to go out of business (other than blaming the Internet)....good customer service needs to be a good part of their business regimen, and it definately does make a difference to their bottom line....

And I know that from experience, the train store I work with has excellent customer service, and is doing better than it ever has; it's been in business since 1972, and it's getting stonger every year.....
What’s the store called?

·
Railroad Tycoon
24,336 Posts
1 - 20 of 35 Posts