Model Train Forum banner

61 - 80 of 84 Posts

·
Railroad Tycoon
23,404 Posts
every track switch is setup the same... so a right turn would be the right on the straight and the right on the curve...

so when you reverse two tracks.. you end up with an insulating pin on each outer rail....

OK, so 1 pin on 1 tube a switch, not 2 on each tube like you pictured?
The switches I have I switch with the control switch, I don't think mine can be set up to automatically switch unless I wire them different.

I like switching them by hand.

·
Registered
559 Posts
Discussion Starter #62
OK, so 1 pin on 1 tube a switch, not 2 on each tube like you pictured?
The switches I have I switch with the control switch, I don't think mine can be set up to automatically switch unless I wire them different.

I like switching them by hand.
correct... 1 on each BUT if you point 2 at each other... then you end up with 2 as you have two switchers with 2 pins into each other. only the center pin will be metal at that point. theoretically you would have a pin on the opposite rail but have to pull it to put the other one into it...

·
Railroad Tycoon
23,404 Posts
correct... 1 on each BUT if you point 2 at each other... then you end up with 2 as you have two switchers with 2 pins into each other. only the center pin will be metal at that point. theoretically you would have a pin on the opposite rail but have to pull it to put the other one into it...

Scratch my head.......OK, we will leave it at that.:D

But, I would guess that you will still need a switch controller to change the switch to go back out on the main line?
Like I said all of mine I have to switch by hand.

They are 1122, http://www.tandem-associates.com/lionel/lionel_trains_1121_track.htm

Yours are the 022 and you use a O22c controller for them, http://www.tandem-associates.com/lionel/lionel_trains_022_track.htm OK
Answered my own question.:)

So what I see that looks like a crossing your going to get another switch or 2 back there?

·
Registered
559 Posts
Discussion Starter #64
Scratch my head.......OK, we will leave it at that.:D

But, I would guess that you will still need a switch controller to change the switch to go back out on the main line?
Like I said all of mine I have to switch by hand.

They are 1122, http://www.tandem-associates.com/lionel/lionel_trains_1121_track.htm

Yours are the 022 and you use a O22c controller for them, http://www.tandem-associates.com/lionel/lionel_trains_022_track.htm OK
Answered my own question.:)

So what I see that looks like a crossing your going to get another switch or 2 back there?
lol im getting so confused using switches and track switches and switchers....

how bout this... and let me know what question you have next.. LOL

·
Railroad Tycoon
23,404 Posts
OK, so you are using the left control handle on the transformer for the inside loop now?

Tell me, the track back by the transformer why do you have that little jog (curve) like that instead of just a straight curve going around?

Now I see you took out the crossing piece that was back there too? Like in the picture I posted of your table before.

Yeah, just leave all the wires on top like that, since your moving you might change the whole thing if you find a larger area to work with.
This way you can at least experiment and run some trains.

·
Registered
559 Posts
Discussion Starter #66
OK, so you are using the left control handle on the transformer for the inside loop now?
Nope... LOL...

I have a Lock-On on outside loop and inside and you can see them in the video. The wires are twisted together and used on the right throttle only... still just one throttle...

Tell me, the track back by the transformer why do you have that little jog (curve) like that instead of just a straight curve going around?
lol I retyped this message about 6 times.. each time scratching my head... fine ill just say it...
I DONT KNOW!!!!! :laugh:
could go straight but im a curvey kinda guy

Now I see you took out the crossing piece that was back there too? Like in the picture I posted of your table before.
you talking about the area to switch the train around to go opposite direction?

no its there... in the video i pointed out the fact that the one straight run track was disconnected.. noticed it after I hit record and didnt want to redo it.. getting that X all aligned up is a pita... im screwing all the track down once I fix the final o22.. just fixed one other.. and gonna wire them all up and screw track down..

Yeah, just leave all the wires on top like that, since your moving you might change the whole thing if you find a larger area to work with.
This way you can at least experiment and run some trains.
agreed!!!! :smilie_daumenpos:

·
Railroad Tycoon
23,404 Posts
The piece was back where the jog is, in the picture I posted of your layout looked like a 45 degree crossing going to the inside loop?

That little jog might give you some problems if you ever run a whole train around.
Not just a locomotive around it.

This post here, look way back there>>>>>>where the jog is.<<<<<<<
It looks like a 45 degree crossing hooked up into the inside loop?

https://www.modeltrainforum.com/showpost.php?p=2515934&postcount=55

·
Registered
559 Posts
Discussion Starter #68
need a suggestion on what to put on the sides to prevent the trains from flying off the track if they derail. Yes i know throttle control is a biggie but I want extra protection!

I was told plexi glass... screwed into the sides but if i did that, i would think only near the curves.. straights should be fine..

other options?

·
Registered
559 Posts
Discussion Starter #69
The piece was back where the jog is, in the picture I posted of your layout looked like a 45 degree crossing going to the inside loop?

That little jog might give you some problems if you ever run a whole train around.
Not just a locomotive around it.

This post here, look way back there>>>>>>where the jog is.<<<<<<<
It looks like a 45 degree crossing hooked up into the inside loop?

https://www.modeltrainforum.com/showpost.php?p=2515934&postcount=55

Is that the Jog? new term for me...

If so, it is just 2 tracks too close to which are now a lot farther apart...

Attachments

·
Railroad Tycoon
23,404 Posts
Yeppers it is that.

That curvy curve you put in (Jog), long trains might have a problem negotiating that. Instead of what you did for the other 3 corners.
But if you like it let it be, see what happens.
But put pillows on the floor.

From far away it (where your arrow is pointing) almost looks like a 45* crossing there.
See the 45* right lower in this picture.
track_o_ident.jpg

·
Registered
559 Posts
Discussion Starter #71
Yeppers it is that.

That curvy curve you put in (Jog), long trains might have a problem negotiating that. Instead of what you did for the other 3 corners.
But if you like it let it be, see what happens.
But put pillows on the floor.

From far away it (where your arrow is pointing) almost looks like a 45* crossing there.
See the 45* right lower in this picture.
View attachment 529882
yeah i have 2x 45 crossings in a box.. not using them...

·
Registered
559 Posts
Discussion Starter #72
During this WFH deal.. while on meetings where I have no contribution but listen.. been messing with my layout..
fixed 5 o22 tracks switches
ran wires to 10 of the 11 - 11th maybe tomorrow which is the side track i just added...
ok got a side track that will hold my switcher and 3 cars... on a separate throttle.. now gotta pinch in another one to get another train on standby...

so i did want to move in 6 months but i bet will be a lot longer so still fun to mess with the layout. dont want to get too involved as i dont want too much to tear down later..

but here is how she sits at the moment..

·
Registered
559 Posts
Discussion Starter #73
aight.. so tomorrow's plan is to
add uncoupler track to that left side and go back to the wall....
wire the o22 for left side

add o22, coupler and rest of track in the center loop.
isolate it and use 3rd throttle
wire it all up

·
Registered
559 Posts
Discussion Starter #74
got 3 trains staged on separate throttles but the one o22 is not playing nice. other 2 trains i can bring onto the track...1 ata time as they have full access to all of the track.
all 4 throttles of my zw will be in use. this is how it sits now. definitely when we move, ill be doing it a bit different like wiring o22s so all i have to do is run the hot out vs all 3... make it 2 levels.. but for now its fun and i gotta organize my switches cus i loose track of what is what...

·
Registered
559 Posts
Discussion Starter #76
these puppies are loud when you put a recording device close to the tracks... had to slow way down or youd think your on a roller coaster..

·
Railroad Tycoon
23,404 Posts
these puppies are loud when you put a recording device close to the tracks... had to slow way down or youd think your on a roller coaster..

What happened at the end?
You should have powered down right away.
Not really sure but I think you may have some of the switch lights set the wrong way. The colors.
Still have that little "jog" I see by the ZW. :)
What camera did you use?

·
Registered
559 Posts
Discussion Starter #78
What happened at the end?
You should have powered down right away.
Not really sure but I think you may have some of the switch lights set the wrong way. The colors.
Still have that little "jog" I see by the ZW. :)
What camera did you use?
end was the end... lol ..reversed train into side yard with separate throttle.

switch lights definitely wrong...hah..

yes jog stayin lol i like it

camera was campark 4k.. cheap!!! $60 with tons of adapters..

·
Railroad Tycoon
23,404 Posts
LOL.......I thought you had one of those mini cameras.
You know they make them?
I don't know the name or brand right now without searching.
Looking good. (y)

·
Registered
559 Posts
Discussion Starter #80
LOL.......I thought you had one of those mini cameras.
You know they make them?
I don't know the name or brand right now without searching.
Looking good. (y)
i have one but it wont charge. its tiny!!!!

mini camera. may need to get another..

61 - 80 of 84 Posts