Model Train Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My club has a programming track set up with a Digitrax DCS 200 command station, a DCC Specialties Power Pax booster, a LocoBuffer USB, and JMRI, with a three way switch (I don't know if it's an SPDT or what) that flips between "Off", "Program", and "Run". For some reason, it won't read or program CVs from Econami or Tsunami2 decoders. Does anyone have any idea why this might be? JMRI is set for Paged programming mode using a programming track.

·
Registered
3,444 Posts
i don't think it's a jmri issue , and yes, it should be on a program track [ completely seperate from the main ]
question? is the light in the center of the programing booster on ??? it should be on steady, not flashing ..

secondly ? did it work before ??

[ I assume that you are reading one loco at a time]

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The light's steady, and yes, only one loco at a time, except for my Genesis DDA40X (which is essentially two complete locos):cool:.

·
Registered
3,444 Posts
for all digitax systems, it says to use the direct programming mode ....
and tony's trains says that some system need a 12 ohm 1 watt resistor inline with the booster [between the booster and the programming track] [just on one side] ..
please note that i have a mrc system and can program without a booster ... i do not have digitrax system or a program booster

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
for all digitax systems, it says to use the direct programming mode ....
and tony's trains says that some system need a 12 ohm 1 watt resistor inline with the booster [between the booster and the programming track] [just on one side] ..
please note that i have a mrc system and can program without a booster ... i do not have digitrax system or a program booster
This booster seems to have such a resistor, although it and its lead are simply twisted together, not soldered, or even covered with tape.

Ok, on the right side of the booster is a two wire terminal with two blue wires going into one side of a three position switch that goes to the track (presumably the "program" position). Flip it one way, and it is used to program, flip it the other way, and you can run engines on the track for testing.

On the left side of the booster is another two wire terminal. On this terminal, the connection closest to the plug for the DC power pack (not sure what else to call that) has the aforementioned resistor, wired to the "prog A" connector on the DCS 200 command station. The other connection on this terminal goes to the "prog B" connector on the command station. From the command station connectors marked "rail A" and "rail B", two wires go to the other side of the switch, which I'm assuming is the "run" position.

Does that sound correct to you?

The programming track works for some decoders, such as original Tsunamis, and Paragon 2s.

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
When you first start to program how are you trying to find the loco with JMRI?
Are you using the read from decoder? I had some problems with this and
ended up selecting the type decoder from the list.
Just click on the decoder type and it found the loco just fine.
Might give that a try.

Magic

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I appreciate the suggestion, that's actually what I do, but even once I open the programmer manually, it won't read or write CVs to the decoder. When I use JMRI for setting up a decoder, I make my settings, write them to the decoder, and once they all fail to write, I go to the CVs tab and find all the ones that are highlighted in red and manually program them using a DT402 throttle for Ops mode programming. It's cumbersome, but it seems to be the only way that works.

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
Funny I ended up doing the very same thing at times.
Sometimes JRMI would write and sometimes not.
It keep setting the master sound volume to 0 on a set of GP9s. ?????
I pretty much gave up on it, I don't do that much CV programming.
I got about half of my locos done and just quite.

Magic

1 - 12 of 12 Posts