Model Train Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We just got an HO gauge set for our little boy. He's at the stage where he likes to set up a layout on the living room floor, run the trains for a bit, and then detach and rebuild in a different way. The problem is the joiners loosen up quickly with each new configuration.

Given that this occurs on the living room floor and not on a piece of plywood or corkboard, is there a way to keep the tracks together? I've tried to crimp the metal joiners with pliers with mixed success.

Thanks,
Tim

·
Registered
222 Posts
IF you have a little girl, you may have a bag small of 1/2 inch elastics for pigtails etc. One on each side of the track looped around the ties should do the trick.
Thanks for the tip, T-man.about ready to thur my altas track out the
window,because of those darn joiners.when I get the layout that I want,then I will
solder them.

Ron

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
T-man, may be a tad too much. I use about as much solder as it takes to "tin" the rail. It may take heating the rail twice. Heat the rail an apply a small amount of solder. Reheat the rail an apply the joiner. Chip or "wipe" away the excess. The\at makes a much cleaner joint. It does take practice. I still cuss when soldering after all of my years of practice. And I cuss a lot. lol

Also using the real fine diameter solder helps. That can be hard to find.

·
Yard Master & Research
10,902 Posts
It's always nice to know the finer points. This was my first try, just to do it. I wanted to see if it would work. I like the elastics better.LOL:laugh:
I reread your directions and it does make more sense now. Thanks
Adding the joiner after makes sense.

·
Yard Master & Research
10,902 Posts
I tried it again. I should of read the post before the next attempt. I forgot to wipe. My track is a bit old for tinning. It wouldn't take. I thought it was worth another go.

Not much better.

A little cropping and it gets ugly.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts