Model Train Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
2,977 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I must admit, I never knew, or heard about Juneteenth before this year. I don't think I am alone in this. This is not a political post, but a desire to know if anyone here on the forum knew about this prior to this year. Perhaps it is just me, perhaps not. I don't believe there was much media coverage in the past.

So, please offer a response, have you heard of or did you know about the significance of this day before 2020?

·
Registered
4,384 Posts
On the calendar on my computer it has Juneteenth listed for June 19. Two years ago I noticed it and looked it up to see what it is. That's how I found out.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Been celebrated in Denver for many years, especially popular in the Five Points neighborhood. Parade, street vendors, etc. Haven't gone in quite awhile, but used to be mostly non-political and an enjoyable event. Always ended the day by visiting my old friend Jerry Krantz at Chapultapec.

·
Registered
688 Posts
Been aware of it for years. Always thought it was kind of a good thing, not being in favor of human slavery and all. Now they've turned it into a symbol of the Anti-Society movement. All good things come to an end...

·
Registered
514 Posts
Been aware of it for years. Always thought it was kind of a good thing, not being in favor of human slavery and all. Now they've turned it into a symbol of the Anti-Society movement. All good things come to an end...
I don't think it's as much anti-society as it is anti-1% ruling, society;..the 'moral' majority...
The Let's Make America White Again society...the Let them eat cake society.
But, yes, I too am not sure what Juneteenth actually is..What happened on 6/19/2018 ? I can't remember..It must be something related to a certain Gov party or unnamed official 'leader'..

·
Registered
2,116 Posts
June 19, 1865, was when all slaves in the state of Texas were officially declared “free” under the occupation of Federal troops near the end of the Civil War. The Emancipation Proclamation had technically freed them a couple years previously, but the delay in US Federal occupation and enforcement was due to the resistance by the Confederacy in advance of front line troops into the various states. This resulted in the delay of “physically” freeing of the slaves in Texas, one of the last Confederate states to occupied by the US Army....The final liberation of slaves in the Deep South....

Tom

·
Registered
3,876 Posts
June 19, 1865, was when all slaves in the state of Texas were officially declared “free” under the occupation of Federal troops near the end of the Civil War. The Emancipation Proclamation had technically freed them a couple years previously, but the delay in US Federal occupation and enforcement was due to the resistance by the Confederacy in advance of front line troops into the various states. This resulted in the delay of “physically” freeing of the slaves in Texas, one of the last Confederate states to occupied by the US Army....The final liberation of slaves in the Deep South....

Tom
Tom;

Thanks for your explanation. I had never heard of "juneteenth" either. But if it celebrates the end of human slavery in the U.S. I think it's a good thing. I don't see how anyone could argue with ending slavery.

Traction Fan

·
Registered
2,116 Posts
It was more of a Civil War event. We don’t celebrate Gettysburg and Lincoln‘s address or many other major events during the war. Emancipation Day was more of a Texas thing after that, especially popular among the Black community. It seems to be seeing a rebirth giving the recent events around the country...

Tom

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
Tom;

Thanks for your explanation. I had never heard of "juneteenth" either. But if it celebrates the end of human slavery in the U.S. I think it's a good thing. I don't see how anyone could argue with ending slavery.

Traction Fan
I learned of it when I moved to the Atlanta area in 1997. It was a well known celebration there. Actually the Emancipation Proclamation declared only slaves in the Confederate States free, but until the slaves could be liberated by Union forces in those states it was ineffective. Texas was the last state that came under Union control which was in June, 1865, hence Juneteenth. The slaveholding states that remained in the Union; Missouri, Kentucky and Maryland were exempt from the Proclamation. The 13th Amendment which was passed in December, 1865 ended slavery in the USA.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Hadn't heard of it until a few days ago. Ending slavery, a good thing. But...……...a holiday?

The Civil Rights Act of 1964
Affirmative Action
Contract Set-asides
February - Black History Month
MLK day
Preferential treatment for college admissions

When does it end...…...….

·
Registered
716 Posts
Well some folks couldn't seem to stay clear of politics, but I digress...

I live in a predominantly African American neighborhood in Chicago and I've heard of of Juneteenth for years. However, I honestly I didn't thought about it as much. I think it's been more privately discussed and noted and I think -though I'm not sure- it had more observance in the south. It's definitely gotten more press and more notice outside the AfAm community in recent years though.

I don't recall hearing of it at all before I moved here 15 years ago.

I'd love to see a Juneteenth national holiday.

·
Registered
555 Posts
Hadn't heard of it until a few days ago. Ending slavery, a good thing. But...……...a holiday?

The Civil Rights Act of 1964
Affirmative Action
Contract Set-asides
February - Black History Month
MLK day
Preferential treatment for college admissions

When does it end...…...….
when the people who were persecuted are treated as equals.

·
Registered
514 Posts
🌈 Thanks Tom.. And now it's edging toward a Fed holiday...We have one Fed holy day, Christmas, or 2 with Hanuka, already..
Let's say so long to one we don't all go along with, Easter, and replace it with the observance of Juneteenth day,
June 19, 1865, Honest Abe and Ulysses S Grant at the helm, the FDR and MaCarthur of the day, Old Glory waving in the wind !...
PS. To those of you in the forum who are still supporters of Robert E Lee, I respect your right to hold that belief, though in my book it has been anti-America's democratic Bill of Rights since that time...
I'm not attempting to start a flameout with you..We are all aware of the both schools, if you will.. We all should get on our knees and thank our lucky stars for having been born in, or have come to live in North America where we even have hobbies, for god sakes !!..Most countries the word doesn't even exist.....M 🛤🌄🛤🌵

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.