Model Train Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Railroad Tycoon
23,526 Posts
Grant statue is down now, George's too. Removing FDR's from the entrance of The American Museum of Natural History.
Who is next? What is next? :cool:

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
Grant statue is down now, George's too. Removing FDR's from the entrance of The American Museum of Natural History.
Who is next? What is next? :cool:
It's not a statue of FDR they're removing., it's of Teddy Roosevelt. He's on his steed leading a Black American and an American Indian on foot.. As President, he actively prosecuted the civil servants that were cheating American Indians. And Grant was a hero for the North. It not for Grant ...

So, naturally, they've got to go

They're afraid so they become angry. I don't blame them. But when you're angry, logic goes out the window.

Yoda : Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering.

·
Registered
716 Posts
I have mixed feelings about Grant's removal, but for those wondering why it was targeted...

As president, he launched an illegal, bloody conflict against the Lakota people over resources and lied to the country about it, as Smithsonian wrote in 2016. And as a general in the Civil War, Grant issued an order expelling Jews from the Union military district encompassing parts of Tennessee, Mississippi, and Kentucky.

·
Railroad Tycoon
23,526 Posts
It's not a statue of FDR they're removing., it's of Teddy Roosevelt. He's on his steed leading a Black American and an American Indian on foot.. As President, he actively prosecuted the civil servants that were cheating American Indians. And Grant was a hero for the North. It not for Grant ...

So, naturally, they've got to go

They're afraid so they become angry. I don't blame them. But when you're angry, logic goes out the window.

Yoda : Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering.
Yep, it is Teddy. Thanks

·
Registered
8,698 Posts
I must admit, I never knew, or heard about Juneteenth before this year. I don't think I am alone in this. This is not a political post, but a desire to know if anyone here on the forum knew about this prior to this year. Perhaps it is just me, perhaps not. I don't believe there was much media coverage in the past.

So, please offer a response, have you heard of or did you know about the significance of this day before 2020?
Yes! I grew up in Texas, the state where it originated (to commemorate a Union victory - one of the last battles of the Civil War/proclamation of peace and freedom by a Union General named Grainger, I think, on that date. Texas was the first state to make it a state holiday, in 1980, when I was nearly ten years out of college, but it was widely observed even in the late 1950s, when I was still in elementary school, and seemed to grow bigger every year. I remember a big rally and city-park-wide celebration of it when I was in college. It was a serious but fun celebration, not fractious but uniting, really nice. It was the first time I heard Barbara Jordan give a speech - one the the greatest orators ever and a wonderful person I admired greatly. Several of the cities in Texas had made it a city-wide holiday in the early '70s and around 1980 it was made a state holiday in Texas. I think almost all the other states followed sometime since and I think all but a handful recognize it now.

·
Registered
407 Posts
I remember Barbra Jordan. She was every bit the equal of Martin Luther King when it came to parsing a sentence or holding an audience. I wish we had them both here today for their council, leadership, and example.

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
I must say I abhor seeing that 5th face on Rushmore....He's a UFO.......................Unfit For Office.
To all the Gents on the forum. I apologize. I didn't realize the sitting president was Photoshop-ed into the pic. The S/W will not let me edit the post.

Administrator please remove that pic. Or replace it with this one.

·
Railroad Tycoon
23,526 Posts
Your picture was fine?
It is Ho-Blows picture that dragged him into the thread.
And his sidekick adding to it. 2 "pee's" in a pod they are.

·
Registered
2,598 Posts
Yesterday they made an attempt to remove the statue of Andrew Jackson. He was the 7th president and founder of the democratic party. He was also and Indian fighter and responsible for the death and enslavement of native Americans.

Too bad the didn't get the job done. It needs to go. And then on to the next statues that need to go. The Buffalo Soldiers.

They also fought in the Indian wars in the west. Freed slave that in turn fought and killed other minority's

·
Registered
407 Posts
Just an observation. If any race, culture, or creed has a grievance in this country it's Native Americans. Moved off their lands by a greedy sub-culture mixture of humans. I think they would all be happy if we all returned to our native lands. World-wide I would also include Jews, slain by the millions and discriminated against for centuries. All other grievances pale by comparison.

I still get a kick out of Sammy Davis Jr's - Talk about discrimination - I'm a one eyed, short, black Jew. We miss ya Sammy the only black man ever to kiss Archie Bunker.

21 - 35 of 35 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.