Model Train Forum banner

221 - 234 of 234 Posts

·
16,666 Posts
You really do a nice job mixing / matching those acrylic paints to get the perfect color. Hard to tell where the repair begins!

TJ

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Good job on that.
What is it about those roof corners? I have one to fix as well. So far I have only cut it back, still have to add in some styrene and trim to fit. Since it won't be original any more I will try and save myself some grief in trying to match colours (not my strong suit!) and probably just spray the whole thing ocean grey.
Come to think of it, how come it is always the right-hand corner of loco roofs that get bent?

·
Hobo for Life
6,026 Posts
Nice job! Soon T-man will just build cars from scratch with that stuff, no more repair jobs. He will make complete cars from scratch! It looks great.

·
Yard Master & Research
10,636 Posts
Discussion Starter #224
Here is a before picture. It shows both corners. the grey is simple acrylic grey, craft store variety and matches perfectly. I had to add support on the underside.. The edges were too narrow so now the corners will stay on. The areas are a little rough and the dremel wheel worked at matching up the grooves on the left side. Overall a good exercise. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
528 Posts
Forget using plaster, only good for one impression.

Get some molding rubber, you can get as many as 50 repairs from one rubber mold. Plus, the detail will be much better than the plaster.

A good brand is Mold Max 40 from SmoothOn Products.

I'm going to mold the end of the roof off a good caboose, and, repair the ten busted ones I have.

·
Yard Master & Research
10,636 Posts
Discussion Starter #233
I have a lifetime supply of plaster. Now, I know what to use if I get a serious project. Thanks for that.:appl:

Don't forget to show us when you do your caboose fix. I had more fun cutting them up and joining the pieces. :) A simple mold was just fine for corners.

221 - 234 of 234 Posts