Votes: 1 50.0%
  • Bad move

Votes: 1 50.0%
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,792 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, Gang, good, bad, or ugly, I just ordered a Zephyr Express controller. They're hard to find in Mexico.

My reasoning is:

1) Everyone who owns one is impressed.
2) I downloaded the manual, studied it, and believe that I can handle it.
3) Depending on the wildly swinging prices, it is cheaper than Bachman's standard DCC controller, which works fine but cannot do as many functions.
4) I love the color screen.
5) With only a 6' by 8' table, five HO tracks are my max. It can easily handle that.
6) Yes, I know that there are better, more expensive, more complicated cabs. But I can always advance into one of them later on.

Comments and suggestions welcome.

·
Registered
12,709 Posts
It's a good system, and more than adequate for your needs. Nyou won't be disappointed.

Reactions: Vincent

·
Registered
1,792 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Question: When my Zephyr Express arrives, I am going to use it on a Bachmann nickel/silver track, including the terminal. Rather than solder the two wires from the Zepher to a track, I am going to splice the connecting wires from a DC Bachmann controller to the Zepher, and then simply attach the Bachmann plug to the terminal track.

What happens if I splice two Bachmann connecting wires onto the Zepher so that I can run two tracks?

·
Registered
10,135 Posts
If you get the Zepher DCC controller under no
circumstances should you also connect the
Bachmann EZ. The Zepher will have output
wires. Solder these to the track rails or to
metal joiners. Or you can cut the Red
wires from the EZ controller . Connect them to the
Zepher so that the Zepher is feeding power
to the special track section. Unplug the EZ controller
and make sure it is completely disconnected
from the track.
The Zepher can run 2, 3 or more trains at the
same time, each individually controlled. You
don't need a 2nd controller. However, if family
or friends want to join you to run trains, a plug
in or wireless 2nd controller is available. That
way you can run train A while a friend runs
train B...both on the same track and without
complicated wiring.

Don

·
Premium Member
110 Posts
Question: When my Zephyr Express arrives, I am going to use it on a Bachmann nickel/silver track, including the terminal. Rather than solder the two wires from the Zepher to a track, I am going to splice the connecting wires from a DC Bachmann controller to the Zepher, and then simply attach the Bachmann plug to the terminal track.

What happens if I splice two Bachmann connecting wires onto the Zepher so that I can run two tracks?

Nothing at all. It's just like using the output terminals as a buss.

With the Zephyr, you can hook a DC power pack to the "DC input" terminals and use as a second throttle.

·
Registered
3,082 Posts
As REdington said. Do take advantage of the DC "Input" to give you another throttle to control a 2nd locomotive, beats pushing buttons to swap the Zephyr throttle back and forth. That's the one oddity of the Zephyr is that the throttle has speed markings and switching between loco's means the speed on the throttle will suddenly be applied. Most throttles used encoder switches so the controller remembers the speeds of the locomotives. Using that DC input makes running 2 locomotives much easier!

·
Registered
652 Posts
Just as a help, the inputs for the throttles on the Zephyr are marked as Jump 1 and Jump 2. It takes any DC throttle hat you happen to have, And I agree with @Lemonhawk on both the problem with the Zephyr throttle when switching trains and how much nicer it is to have three separate throttles to use. I did this when I first switched from DC to DCC.

The only shortfall to using jump throttles is that you lose control of the lights and sound or other DCC functions for that train without switching the active throttle on the Zephyr. By that, I mean the Zephyr will allow you to chose to have it display jump throttle 1 or 2 on the screen and then the buttons for the DCC functions work that throttle while the throttle lever still works the original train.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts