1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Railroad Tycoon
24,167 Posts
Where were these taken in West Virginia?

Eventually these photos will vanish from the post as most Photo bucket pictures do.:rolleyes:

Some of out members like to see the rock pictures like this as they don't have any in their part of the country. I like pictures of rock cutaways too for some reason. :D:thumbsup:

I will put them here permanent so when yours disappear these will still be here for reference. ;)

DSCF2289_zps817837ae.jpg

DSCF2290_zpsf3b06fca.jpg

DSCF2291_zps8abffdbc.jpg

DSCF2292_zpsa5342ae9.jpg

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
sounds good

that's good, I was afraid they would be removed if I posted them direct. My wife takes the cam everywhere, just in case I see something I would want to model, or need a reference from. I noticed there isn't really any of these type of eastern rock faces on the web. I live in southern WV, so this is what I model. There's a really big difference between the colorful western stone and the rock here. Our rock faces tend to stay mostly wet from the water leaching from the mountain tops through the overburden constantly. Up through here on the Pond Fork Sub. drainage is a big issue for CSX. They stay busy keeping the ballast fresh and tamped, and keeping the rock cut side drainage flowing away from the line. One good pic I think some modelers would like, is of a cut away that has one of our thicker coal seems running right in the center of it, like a black vein in the cliff. I am modeling a rock cut with a coal seem in it, it's challenging to get the texture of the coal to look right, but it's fun. If no one minds, I will post a couple with a seam, glad you like the pics.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
great

We prefer you post directly if possible, and to my knowledge we've never removed any pictures unless they were objectionable or copyrighted. :)
Thanx for the helpful info, sir.

·
Railroad Tycoon
24,167 Posts
A lot of photo bucket pictures end up like this,

It screws the whole thread up, when you ask the poster what happened, 99 percent of the time they don't know.

·
Registered
896 Posts
its because the poster moved them to an album or deleted some in the album and that makes the pictures move to a new local. then the link is broken and no more picture in our posts.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
ok, well I have a couple on here from photobucket, if something happens I will edit the post, thanx for the advice

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
another prototype pic

this is one of my favorite lineside structures in my area. This old steel box car has been here as long as I can remember, I'm sure it was put here in the late 70's. It was used for tool and part storage for mow crews. I remember the lettering was "C&O FOR PROGRESS". It's not used anymore, the light inside has been out for years, and the steel man door on the other side is torn off. I plan to model this scene on my own layout. Just wanted to share this old thing before it's crushed and hauled away.

Attachments

·
Railroad Tycoon
24,167 Posts
Do you have any pictures of the ends of the car?

If it has the Deco ends it very well could be a rare car as only around 1000 were built?

It would make for a nice track side structure.
Add a pot belly stove stack coming out of it. :D:thumbsup:

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Do you have any pictures of the ends of the car?

If it has the Deco ends it very well could be a rare car as only around 1000 were built?

It would make for a nice track side structure.
Add a pot belly stove stack coming out of it. :D:thumbsup:
I don't have any of the ends, but I will take a couple, it's just about 1/4 mi from my house.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
We used to have a lot of abandoned rail equipment around home here. We had a bunch of old critters up and down the holler that were used for mine shifting. Every tipple had a set of 2, I don't know what make they were, I was young and everything was just "a train". I remember 2 Island Creek Coal Co. units the best. They were red faded to pink, neither unit had a cab. I remember both had controls behind one of the end hood doors, they looked like two B units. But, they were equipped with beacon lights and radio control systems. After Island Creek tipple shut down & abandoned, I would always walk down to the mine siding and play on them, they were really strange. All of the critters wore the paint scheme and name of the coal company on them. Then around the time everything was wearing CSX paint, the coal companies didn't shift and load their own trains anymore. It was all done by train crews, the critters just sat on a siding turning into rust. It seemed like within a month, they all vanished, I don't know if the railroad came and drug them out of here or, they were dismantled and hauled away for scrap. I sure wish I had pictures of all of them before they were gone.

·
Registered
104 Posts
I sure would like to see the pictures of the cut away that has one of our thicker coal seems running right in the center of it. I have 10 of those CSX coal cars on my layout, along with 12 Atlantic coast line coal cars. Super nice photos by the way!

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
sure thing

I have some of the thinner seams, I'm trying to wait until I have to haul from the mine on Bolt Mountain again, there are some great cut through seams up there, like the Coal Berg seam, it averages about 6 foot. thanx

·
Registered
8,805 Posts
Maybe I got rocks in my head from the
other pics...but...on the
hopper pic...they seem to have an air hose
attached to the on board air hose...is that
to lock the car down?

Don

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
Maybe I got rocks in my head from the
other pics...but...on the
hopper pic...they seem to have an air hose
attached to the on board air hose...is that
to lock the car down?

Don
No, that's what hand brakes are for.

The car men are probably getting this train ready to go and pumping up the air in the brakes using yard air, so that when ready the engines can hook on, do their brake test and be ready to go.

BTW this car is a gondola, not a hopper. These coal cars have solid bottoms and are rotary dumped, by placing the car in a dumper that flips it right over to unload.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts