Model Train Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4,033 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m one of those people that usually has about a half dozen projects partially completed. To make matters worse, I’m also one of those people that doesn’t always put my tools away when I’m finished a project. I have a place for everything, but not everything is in its place. I have a work surface under my staging area, but it is so full of “stuff” that I can’t get anything done on my current projects. So, what do I do about it? Do I put a few things away and finish up a project or two to make some room? Naaaaah! I start another project!

I had a bookshelf in one corner of the staging area. That moved to my son’s apartment so I had a spot to put in another work surface. The top from an old chest of drawers that I salvaged was just about the right size so that’s what I used.

Here are a few pics of the crowded surface under the staging area, the recently vacated corner and the new work surface. I wonder how long it will take me to cover the new work surface with “stuff”.

·
Registered
2,981 Posts
Now don't go using that for a junk table!

I have one on-going project and that is my large mountain on the south side of the layout. I hope to finish that before the year is over, but it's not something I'm really looking forward to. That's why it's not already finished. I ordered another 3 pounds of Sculptimold that will soon be arriving so I'm all out of excuses.

But, I usually complete one project before moving on to the next. And I put everything away I was using whether the project was finished that day or not. Just don't look under the tables. It's not that there is a bunch of junk under there, but I would like to better organize my power tools, extra bits of various pieces of wood and cardboard, etc.

My worktable though, is always cleaned after I finish whatever I'm doing. I also work on computers and other electronics on this table surface and I never know what I'll be opening up or working on next. A rail car or locomotive one night, opening up a laptop the next, and maybe working on a power supply or radio the next.

·
Registered
766 Posts
How in the world can you work under the staging area with that low overhead?

The slots for the new work surface is a neat idea.

I usually have more than one project going on, but the tools go back to their spot at the end of the day. Otherwise I'll never find them.

If you've lost your glasses, they're on the new, bottom shelf. :)

·
Registered
559 Posts
im the same.. ive got house projects all over 90ish % done.. my workbench gets cleaned, then filled... my tools are all over....

·
Registered
4,033 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Beautiful piece of wood you’ve got there for your new work top. Enjoy it!
Thanks. Actually, It’s just clear pine. But it does look nice with whatever varnish they put on it. I was surprised when I deconstructed the drawers when I saw the drawer sides were oak. That’s the opposite of what I do when making a cabinet or set of drawers (oak or cherry on the outside, pine, poplar or whatever on the inside). But I guess when they made it in 1947, oak was the whatever.

·
Registered
4,033 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
How in the world can you work under the staging area with that low overhead?
Not hard as long as the surface is clear, but I do bump my head once in a while
The slots for the new work surface is a neat idea.
If the top was a few inches longer (and the walls were square), I would have cut the quarter rounds off the sides and set it on some supports. But as it was, I ripped some 2X4s, used one side for the support and cut the other side with a round nose bit to sit on top.
I usually have more than one project going on, but the tools go back to their spot at the end of the day. Otherwise I'll never find them.
Since I don’t always put my tools away, I have found the best way to find a missing tool is to buy another one. The missing tool usually shows up right away. By the way, I have four torpedo levels.
If you've lost your glasses, they're on the new, bottom shelf. :)

·
Registered
766 Posts
Some years ago a very good friend passed away. After the dust settled his wife asked me to go through his shop, not wanting to deal with "the disaster" (her words). And a disaster it was. Pegboard covered the walls behind the benches with a small fortune in peg board hooks of all types. But they were empty.

When it was all said and done there were over 40 screwdrivers - about an even mix of Phillips and slotted. Every time I moved something I uncovered a screwdriver.

For my effort she insisted I take a table-top band saw and a scroll saw that had never been opened.

·
Registered
390 Posts
I try to have one project only at a time, but that doesn’t always happen. I moved my work space out of my train room about a year ago, as I didn’t want a distraction to the trains. I’ve spent a lot of time trying to stay organized, and finally set myself up with a large plastic container with all my tools inside. I also put a work light under my table, as I’ve wasted to much time looking for a dropped item. I prefer my workspace tidied up at the end of the day, as I want the counter space back for whatever project may come up.
28F7F155-2B2A-4027-986F-1149DB12F746.jpeg

·
Registered
2,951 Posts
if it helps you feel any better I have very similar work habits.that extends to my workshop as well - i have more then 16 feet worth of counter top space crammed with all sort of things. work surfaces that are free standing also have "stuffs" on them, and it takes a few moments to prepare the table saw station for work

i built a 31" desk that will be stored under the layout and pulled out when needed. built it a bit lower so i can push it out of the way even if i have stuff laying on it :)
If i know myself well this documents a very rare moment, it will never be that clean again.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts