Model Train Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone disassembled a K-Line caboose? i have broken side plates on mine. Don`t know if just the side plates can be replaced or not, but also need to replace the bulb inside somehow.
No instructions on how to do that came with the caboose. The guy i got the caboose from said he tried to contact K-Line several times, but no answer ever. It`s mine now and i would love to get it repaired, it being my road name...

P1000461 (2).JPG

P1000459.JPG

P1000460.JPG

P1000458.JPG

·
Registered
2,188 Posts
Look a screw at each end, under the coupler shank, as you have the car upside down. There will be two, each centered on the end of the floor. Takes those out. There are four more that hold the interior down to the body. You may have to remove them too, but try it with the first two screws under the couplers removed. That should allow access to the top of the truck kingpin...

I have the same caboose in C&O blue. K-Line has been out of business for some time...but they made great stuff!

Tom

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Look a screw at each end, under the coupler shank, as you have the car upside down. There will be two, each centered on the end of the floor. Takes those out. There are four more that hold the interior down to the body. You may have to remove them too, but try it with the first two screws under the couplers removed. That should allow access to the top of the truck kingpin...

I have the same caboose in C&O blue. K-Line has been out of business for some time...but they made great stuff!

Tom
Thank you so much for the information, i will do that tonight.

·
Registered
1,200 Posts

Tom
Be careful with the ladders, as they are inserted into the roof, and need to be carefully removed as part of the process.

·
Registered
3,041 Posts
I worked on a friends EV caboose but don't recall if it was a K-Line. The trick on that one was to remove the cupola which was held on by tabs. You had to squeeze in front and back both left and right. It should be obvious if its a separate part on this one. Then you will see screws in long tunnels holding the body to the frame.

Pete

·
Registered
2,188 Posts
Let us know how you make out.

If worse comes to worse, I will experiment on my WV to see how it comes apart...

Tom

·
Railroad Tycoon
23,876 Posts
Some of the K line cabooses need the end ladders & railings pulled away from the body.

That one is from 2008?

Edit,
I see DonF beat me to that.
I guess I should read the whole thread first.:eek:

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I worked on a friends EV caboose but don't recall if it was a K-Line. The trick on that one was to remove the cupola which was held on by tabs. You had to squeeze in front and back both left and right. It should be obvious if its a separate part on this one. Then you will see screws in long tunnels holding the body to the frame.

Pete
OK, thanks..

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Let us know how you make out.

If worse comes to worse, I will experiment on my WV to see how it comes apart...

Tom
The cupola comes off with a little squeeze on the front and back, lifts right off, exposes two lights soldered to a metal piece, that`s it.
Remove the ladders gently by pulling straight out on the bottom, they are just stuck in the plastic, then they will just slip out of the piece on top.
There are four holes in the under side of the floor plate, two are easy to get to by moving the truck around, but the other to are a cuss to get to. They are up inside a hole about 3 inches from the bottom, need a very skinny, long philips screw driver to get these out, plus the side of the truck is very much in the way.
Once the screws are out, the roof lifts off, and the body will cone off.
Now i can get to the screw holding the broken truck, i will have to cut two wires that feed from the pickup, and connect them again once i have a new truck.
I hope i can a new one !!!!

Attachments

1 - 13 of 13 Posts