Model Train Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2,293 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked up a really cheap K-Line EP5 locomotive ( K2749-0379CC) that is equipped with Lionel TMCC.

Initially, the engine would light up in conventional mode, but wouldn’t move. No sound at all, either. I opened it up and checked all the boards and found the wire to the center track roller on the truck, was broken loose. I resoldered the connection and tested again.

This time the engine would move, but barely. It seemed to be getting intermittent power to the motors. I checked all connections again, checked for clean wheels and tried it again. With my transformer at 18v, the engine would creep but draw very little amperage. I found shutting the transformer off and on would get the engine to move in conventional, but slowly.

Finally, I set up the engine for TMCC and programmed it. Still no sound, but the motors would respond to direction changes and some throttle input. So the radio board seems okay. The power board and sound board are another situation.

Any suggestions would be great appreciated...

Tom

·
Admin
44,386 Posts
If all the wiring is intact, top suspect is the K-Line cruise board. They're infamous for crapping out, and your symptoms match the issue. I have a bunch of them in a drawer, always meant to see if I could make a couple good ones out ot all the bad ones.
The "fix" is to replace it with the ERR Cruise Commander M.

·
Registered
2,293 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Okay, that sounds like a plan. I checked the main board for burned traces, but visually the board looks okay.

I should get the EER CruiseCommander M, not the generic one, right?

Tom

·
Registered
2,293 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Okay. I ordered the CC-M. I think the markers on this one are bulbs, but I will figure that out when I actually start the conversion.

Thanks for the information, John. I have been reading the ERR installation guide and it looks pretty straight forward. If I am successful, I have a few other K-Line engines I will upgrade...

·
Registered
845 Posts
Looks good.

I still remember watching these on the New Haven, sitting on a baggage cart at the South Norwalk train station back around 1962.

When they first started, the fans (in the box on the roof) would ramp up like a jet engine ... hence, the nickname!

·
Registered
2,293 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you!

Cool. I have the K-Line EP5 in the McGinnis paint scheme. That is the one I am having trouble with. The black engine above was an EP5 that I converted into a E40 using a K-Line EP5. I will likely install a CC-M in that too.

It is interesting that they kept the Hancock Airchime airhorns. The PC didn’t think they were loud enough for service on the mainline to Washington,DC, but they left them on the engines

Tom

·
Registered
2,293 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I installed the err ccm and figured out most of it. There are three wires that in one connector. The blue one is from the radio board and The purple and white wires come from two other locations on the main board. I am not sure where they go.

any suggestions?

Tom

·
Registered
3,112 Posts
Given the stock number you posted this engine likely has K-Line Cruise. If a motor has a tach sensor under the flywheel then it does. The three wire connector from the tach sensor is not used with the Cruise M. Pretty sure there is no reference in the Cruise M manual on upgrading an engine with K-Line cruise. Check for that tach sensor and report back.

Pete

·
Registered
1 Posts
Question, I am thinking of getting a K line New Haven EP-5 off EBAY, and I wonder how it runs under Legacy? It has TMCC, not sure if it has cruise. If anyone has one could you give me input before I pull the trigger..Thanks :);)💻 !

·
Registered
3,112 Posts
It will as well or better with Legacy. Just make sure you select TMCC, Cab1, or R100, not Legacy mode. Not sure which of the first three will work the best or if there is a difference but you can try them all.
Pete

·
Registered
2,293 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Pete, it has the tac reader on the one motor. As per the instructions, I removed the three wire connection/harness.

Yes, the ERR instructions really don’t address the K-Line aspect. ...

Ron, most K-Line TMCC stuff can stand an upgrade. I have some original stuff and some upgrade stuff that both run well. It is pretty much a gamble buying with out considering having to fix any defects that may arise...

Tom

·
Registered
3,112 Posts
Tom, where was that connector you are holding in your hand? On most Cruise M installs you remove the white 4 pin connector from the motor driver, the black 4 pin connector from the motor driver and plug them both into the Cruise M. Then plug in the 10 pin connector and attach the wire at pin 1 to serial data. The connector you are holding doesn't appear to be the one that was plugged in the motor driver given the odd colors.

Pete

·
Registered
2,293 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
It was the four pin connector in the middle of the pic of the old cruise control board.

they terminated on the mother board in the center of this pic...the purple wire and white wire going to two separate locations on the mother board...

·
Registered
3,112 Posts
Tom, then that connector you removed from the K-Line Cruise board gets plugged into the ERR Cruise board. The wires set the direction of the engine. Most the ones I have seen use red, green, yellow wires. Don’t recall seeing black and white before.
Plug that in and you should be set to try it. One thing is don’t be surprised if the engine starts in reverse also out of sync with the head and tailights. If this happens just reverse the wires that are soldered to the tach sensor. Not easy to get to the actual motor terminals as they are also soldered to the tach sensor.

Pete

·
Admin
44,386 Posts
It looks like a 2-wire connector to me. That won't work as you need two wires for the motor(s) and two wires for the power. This is the K-Line Cruise Module. The plugs from the two circled connectors should be plugged into the new ERR Cruise Module.

As far as any other connections, the three pin- connector is omitted, and you'll have to figure out what is connected if the two pin connectors or the seven pin connector have any connections. Those would likely be for lighting, possible chuff, etc.

·
Registered
3,112 Posts
Tom wanted to know where the 4 pin JST connector he is holding goes, not the molex micro fit connector.
Pete

·
Registered
2,293 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
That’s okay, Pete. I have shelved the project for now....before it becomes part of the drywall in my kitchen.

I will keep learning about the installation and maybe get an idea of where I am screwing up.

Thanks everyone.

Tom

·
Registered
3,112 Posts
One more thing Tom. You may need a 4 pin to 4 pin harness. They are included with the Cruise Commanders but not the Cruise Ms. Its assumed you can use the one that plugs into the old motor driver, DCDR or DCDS, but the one you have may be different since you indicated one wire on the motherboard side goes somewhere else. On most engines all four wires go to the same 4 pin connector. Too bad this K-Line cruise engine was your first attempt. On most installations its pretty straightforward.
Pete

1 - 20 of 21 Posts