Model Train Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Access to the interior of a K-Line K-3540 SP Vanderbilt tender (also part of K-Line set 3388-2488IC - Southern Pacific loco with Real Sounds) is not at first easy to discover.
I owned the tender previously and now have found my holy grail and won it at a E-Bay auction: the K-Line SP2488 loco/tender set! Finding this set is the conclusion of a 2 year search, important to me because we are restoring a similar SP P-10 Pacific locomotive (SP #2479) here in San Jose, CA. When I became aware that K-Line had released a model SP Pacific back in 2000, I knew I had to find it. The tender contains a circuit board providing the sound to the speaker also located at the rear underside of the tender. Using Gunrunner John's advice to another owner of this model, I discovered that the removal of the flat top cover on the tender is accomplished by removing two screws holding it in place. One must first pull out the hand rails, then remove the screws from underneath. The cover slides off to reveal the circuit board inside. My goal is to convert this locomotive to updated sound and Command Control by installing ER boards in the engine and tender. Now I can access the tender cavity to start that work.

T1.JPG

T2.JPG

T3.JPG

T4.JPG

T5.JPG

·
Premium Member
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, a super chuffer *and* maybe some help from the man who invented it...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts