Model Train Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

I have been casually looking for a Passenger Locomotive Set for Union Pacific. I have purchased an MTH 6 car passenger set, Premier and I am very happy with the detail on these cars but do not have a passenger era E to run them. I am not an ALCO fan for running my passenger consist, so E's are what I am looking for. Don't mind the bulldogs.

I found this K Line on my ebay search today. I am familiar with these K Lines in Rock Island but do not have one. I have a couple of K Lines for Milwaukee Road freight, one a Fairbanks Morse and like the detail and I believe it's a good conventional runner.

Price on this U.P. one looks pretty good, especially since it appears 2 are powered. Have not seen much else. I am not going Rail King for my passenger U.P. locomotives. Pull the trigger? Or wait for a new Lionel catalog item.

·
Registered
3,046 Posts
Theses are excellent engines. I have a NYC set. No cruise but cruise can be added. I considered them but would prefer MTH as all my other UP power is MTH so I can lash them up. Converting these would add too much to the total cost.
He has them on OGR so contact him directly and save sales tax plus they are at a lower price.
K-Line E8 with P&D pilot.

Pete

·
Registered
3,046 Posts
You can couple them up but they wouldn't run at the same speed. That is the beauty of PS2/3. They virtually all run at the same speed, at least road engines will. Maybe not shays or special engines like that. Only Lionel Legacy will do that with other Legacy and even there some won't run together. I model current day UP, excursion and business trains. Most every one I have seen has more than one engine. Look at the E9 on older excursion runs and you will see some wide cab behind it. Same with all the steam today.

If you model period trains then the ABA by itself would be fine.

Pete

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I didn't know the seller was Jeff T. Wish some of those guys would post more over here. I saw a few familiar names there. Anyway I am not a member of OGR so I signed up, which only means the moderators might review it eventually.

Well - this being an A-B-A, with 2 powered, I would only add the MTH passenger cars in my opinion, should look good.

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
Hey Bryan!!! Summertime I put the trains away and play with cars!! Send me an email:
[email protected]

BTW - I think all three units are powered!!

·
Registered
2,000 Posts
I would think that running in conventional mode, two identical engines would run near the same speed subject to mfg'ing tolerances. When tied together, any minor difference in speed is absorbed as a slight difference in the load on each engine. But I'm not a TMCC user. So other factors may be raised by TMCC knowledgeably members.

·
Registered
3,046 Posts
Two identical engines will run together. Its when you try and run two or more different engines that it rarely works. I my case I want to run a Big Boy, FEF, and a SD70 together like they did for 4014s run to the Golden Spike last year. They would all have to have either Lionel Legacy or MTH PS2/3.
In the case of the K-Line E8 one motor driver is used for all 4 motors all in parallel. That engine would easily pull 20 MTH passenger cars.

Pete

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
On a side note - OGR Forum declined my request to join the forum. I did not see a reason provided. Let's see - I am fairly new to the hobby at 7-8 years, I purchase on average $800 a month of O Gauge/Scale stuff, I belong to 2 railroad historical societies, am building a new 24 foot layout, actually have purchased several of their magazines. That must make me a malcontent that would be disruptive to the community of users on their forum.

·
Registered
3,393 Posts
You're probably not enough of a snob for them.

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I don't care enough. I looked for an email option to the moderators but do not see one. I have no idea. I wanted on so I could communicate with the seller Jeff T. Not sure I would be a frequent visitor there but am disappointed to see some regulars from the old days here that are on that forum. This forum has always been better in my opinion, but I guess some folks prefer OGR. For the drama? Not sure. More chippiness there for sure. The MTH threads run to 16 + pages.

·
Registered
2,000 Posts
They decided to move on after the "Birthday Thread" rift. It now resides as a sticky in Union Station forum. Don't ask ....

1 - 18 of 18 Posts