Model Train Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm thinking about getting a big boy, I see that K line states they can handle O-31 curves, my tightest will be considerably wider, the 2 big draws 1 conventional operation, I am a big time post war guy, so I'll be running conventional, and 2, Cost, I can't justify the equal of a mortgage payment for an engine. So anyone out there have any first hand experience with either. I'm eyeing a UP Bigboy, but don't want to make a mistake. Thanks and stay healthy everyone.

·
Admin
46,379 Posts
Well, the K-Line will be significantly smaller than the RailKing. I have the K-Line Allegheny, and it's really somewhere between O-scale and S-scale, probably about 1:58. The Railking is 29" long vs 33" long for the scale big boy.

·
Registered
2,647 Posts
One thing to note, I believe the K-Line big boy, although very small as mentioned, is shrunken a bit more proportionally in all directions than the MTH one. I think the MTH one is a bit closer to scale in some dimensions and shrunken in others which has always struck me as being pretty awkward looking. In my eye the K-Line unit looks a lot better overall including some details the MTH one doesn't have (perhaps newer ones do?). The one downside to the K-Line one is that the running gear is missing all the valve gear linkages and only has the main and side rods present.

·
Admin
46,379 Posts
I have the K-Line Allegheny, it was one from way back that I upgraded. It is small, but it's nicely proportioned and looks better than some of the other semi-scale stuff I've seen.
This eBay ad has a picture of the MTH Big Boy box. And it states O31 curves and supports John's posted length.
That one is a conventional model, kinda' expensive for a 20 year old semi-scale BB. :)

·
Registered
97 Posts
When I was running a hobby shop I had many pre-orders for K-Line Big Boys after their announcement. After they arrived many customers didn't tale them because they were too small. The guys with smaller layouts didn't order any but loved them. I didn't have any trouble selling them to those guys.
The K-line Big Boy is small and has a simplified valve dear. If you have the curves and clearances, buy the MTH.

·
Registered
6,407 Posts
So I'm thinking about getting a big boy, I see that K line states they can handle O-31 curves, my tightest will be considerably wider, the 2 big draws 1 conventional operation, I am a big time post war guy, so I'll be running conventional, and 2, Cost, I can't justify the equal of a mortgage payment for an engine. So anyone out there have any first hand experience with either. I'm eyeing a UP Bigboy, but don't want to make a mistake. Thanks and stay healthy everyone.
Get a Lionel Lion Master Big Boy.I have one and it will run on 042 curves. Very detailed, with all appropriate sounds.

·
Registered
4,080 Posts
I have the K Line big boy Lionel released for S gauge. It uses the same castings for the engine and tender. It is 25” long making the length just about 1/64. The height and width are about 1/60th. Here is a picture of the Big Boy on the left and a true 1/64 scale Challenger on the right. The Big Boy fits in pretty well in the S gauge environment, it would look way too small among 1/48th equipment. The S gauge version will handle 20”radius curves, I use minimum 30” radius and it works well. I cannot imagine this engine on O-31 curves.

Transport Vehicle Train Track Locomotive
Transport Track Rolling stock Railway Train

·
Registered
4,080 Posts
Sure enough! It is amazing what becomes visible in a picture that the eye misses when running the trains. I posted some detail pictures of cars on my layout in another thread and quickly saw three minor things on the layout that needed repaired. Never noticed them just walking around the layout.

·
Registered
4,080 Posts
I got an RA for a new SD70ACe that was inop. They received it the day before Lionel shut down. I suspect it will be some time until I see that engine again.
On the big boy tender note the rear axle has flangeless wheels. As delivered those were flanged but the flanged set had to be moved forward on the tender and swapped with the flangeless wheels to allow it to back up w/o derailing on 20"R curves.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.