Model Train Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I was wondering if the K5's originally came with jewels or were painted? I have a couple of beat up engines and tenders and they all have a hodge-podge of paint and/or jewel configurations.

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
Here is a picture of an original 336, it is the best one I have in my picture library. If you look closely the green factory jewels are visible. They are smooth with a slightly rounded face. The repro jewels are different. They have cut faces like diamonds. The K5 has what might be repro jewels but they must be an earlier version than the ones sold today. The seller of the K5 set claimed these are original though, and given who I purchased it from he could be correct.

7229D77D-BBDB-45C4-9469-A6AFE6212026.jpeg
B15DC1AC-32F8-4579-BD92-0652E64DC933.jpeg

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
Eric brings up a model train feature that has had a lot of discussion recently. When Lionel cataloged the new O Gauge Legacy Vision Line Hudsons in the 2019 Big Book they included illuminated classification lights. Some O Gaugers felt so strong about not wanting the classification lights that Lionel made a run w/o them sold through a specific hobby shop.
The Gilbert jewels mimicked classification lights but Gilbert also put the jewels in the poling pockets which of course is pure nonsense. When detailing a Gilbert Northern or PRR Pacific we can either do it as original, as prototypically correct, or leave them off.
Here is a picture of a B&O American Flyer by Lionel Pacific with illuminated classification lights. Personally I like the correctly illuminated ones.

1B563023-6161-4447-BF89-76B77DB4793C.jpeg

·
Registered
5,442 Posts
I dug up your thread on your 336 restoration. You painted the markers and I think they look great.
Paint them on the K5. I tried to post your thread here but no luck.
I will probably use the jewels. I have the jewels and do not have the paint.
The paint looks better to me.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts