Model Train Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Little plastic time-bombs
Tuned to Murphy's clock.

Ok, so your new boxcar comes with plastic McHenry, or Accumate, or E-Z Mate couplers, and you decide to run it with them for awhile.
Maybe you can let me know how that works out for you.

I can almost guarantee it won't end well, because Murphy will almost surely be laughing his butt off at the worst time... in a tunnel, on a bridge, into a passing siding, or at some 'just-out-of-reach' area.

Plain and simple:
If you don't change over to Kadee or ProtoMax couplers right out of the box, you're only prolonging the inevitable.

You can find Kadee and ProtoMax couplers for about a buck each in bulk, so if you can afford them you should get as many #5's or 148's as you can... reserving a few dollars for other types in less generic applications.
Most clubs forbid cars on their tracks without Kadee or ProtoMax couplers.

And for gosh sakes, don't hesitate to install Kadee 5's or 148's or ProtoMax couplers on an Accurail kit! It's a simple drop-in procedure.
While you're at it, TruckTune and install metal wheelsets. It'll roll and perform as good as (or better than) most expensive premium cars.

Athearn stuff comes with McHenry's. They flat out s*ck. The old 1950's dummy couplers were no less functional.
Toss and replace.

Deciding to stick with the junk will only end in disappointment. It's only a matter of time. Maybe months... but usually only weeks (or less). Plastic couplers are a failure waiting to happen.

·
Registered
3,470 Posts
the plastic replicas are only one third junk, they hold fairly well until you get more than three cars behind the loco ..:)

·
Registered
2,943 Posts
Ohhhh, but ya do save a few pennies by going with the McHenry non-couplers.

·
Registered
4,209 Posts
N-scale metal couplers?, metal trucks,? truck tuners? I wish!

Little plastic time-bombs
Tuned to Murphy's clock.

Ok, so your new boxcar comes with plastic McHenry, or Accumate, or E-Z Mate couplers, and you decide to run it with them for awhile.
Maybe you can let me know how that works out for you.

I can almost guarantee it won't end well, because Murphy will almost surely be laughing his butt off at the worst time... in a tunnel, on a bridge, into a passing siding, or at some 'just-out-of-reach' area.

Plain and simple:
If you don't change over to Kadee or ProtoMax couplers right out of the box, you're only prolonging the inevitable.

You can find Kadee and ProtoMax couplers for about a buck each in bulk, so if you can afford them you should get as many #5's or 148's as you can... reserving a few dollars for other types in less generic applications.
Most clubs forbid cars on their tracks without Kadee or ProtoMax couplers.

And for gosh sakes, don't hesitate to install Kadee 5's or 148's or ProtoMax couplers on an Accurail kit! It's a simple drop-in procedure.
While you're at it, TruckTune and install metal wheelsets. It'll roll and perform as good as (or better than) most expensive premium cars.

Athearn stuff comes with McHenry's. They flat out s*ck. The old 1950's dummy couplers were no less functional.
Toss and replace.

Deciding to stick with the junk will only end in disappointment. It's only a matter of time. Maybe months... but usually only weeks (or less). Plastic couplers are a failure waiting to happen.
Late starter;

Just consider the junk as HO-scale "plastic explosive!" :D

Meanwhile, over in N-scale world, all the couplers are plastic, including the Micro-Trains (N & Z version of Kadee) couplers. As for the all metal trucks, I can only dream. :rolleyes: However, I agree with all you say above, and the Micro-Trains couplers are better than anything else available in N-scale. we do have metal wheels and (12"=1' ) indoor plumbing! :laugh:

Traction Fan :smilie_daumenpos:

·
Registered
472 Posts
i saw the kadee rep at a train show a few years ago & i confessed that i had strayed
but i need forgiveness so he laughed & gave me a free pack of #5s

·
Registered
694 Posts
I have a loco with EZ Mates and one with Mc Henrys. Been pulling 6-7 heavyweight passenger cars for several years with both of them, no problems.
If they break I’ll put Kadees on them. I’m of the ‘If it ain’t broke don’t fix it ‘ school.

·
Registered
453 Posts
The only locomotives I have with plastic couplers are either static shelf models or my shay but it only pulls a car or two at a time unless it’s switching an industry(4-5 cars) other than that it’s all #5 couplers all around my layout

·
Registered
829 Posts
I have a loco with EZ Mates and one with Mc Henrys. Been pulling 6-7 heavyweight passenger cars for several years with both of them, no problems.
If they break I’ll put Kadees on them. I’m of the ‘If it ain’t broke don’t fix it ‘ school.
Amen.
I prefer KD 148 and I swap out pressure arm first gen plastic knuckle couplers ASAP, but if they're the spring variety I keep them until failure. I'm not running long trains and if they're not broke....

All that said, if i were running 20 car trains or steep grades i wouldn't allow a single plastic coupler.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Hail to all metal couplers and especially the Kadee #5. Although I have switched to the #148 whisker so as not having do deal with that #5 centering spring. I have spent a small fortune converting 120+ cars in the last year. Still not done.
That said; I have found that upgrading the lower quality cars with truck mounted couplers more often than not, I needed underset knuckles to keep in line with body mounted center set #5's. Less bending of the 'air hose' too. That is all, tyvm. =)

·
Registered
384 Posts

i saw the kadee rep at a train show a few years ago & i confessed that i had strayed
but i need forgiveness

so he laughed & gave me a free pack of #5s
Ah, a pusher knows how to get you hooked. He gives you a sample for free and he knows what will happen - you'll be back for more!

I've grown fond of the #158 scale head Kadee's in recent years.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts