Model Train Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
The ScaleTrains Models are usually shipped with semi-scale couplers without trip-pin.
I prefer this type of couplers than the classic Kadee with trip pin.
Very rarely I operate in my layout with automatic coupling/uncoupling cars, even with my European Models, I prefer to form the trains by hands.
Then my conclusion is: why I need trip-pin for my US models?
So that I am cutting them all...:D:D:D...(shame)

The question: it exists a Kadee-compatibile type of coupler similar to the ScaleTrains, semi-scale type?
These ScaleTrains couplers are not purchasable in their on line store.

·
Registered
9,851 Posts
The trip pins are for use with magnetic uncouplers. If you don't intend to use these, there is no harm in cutting off the pins. And no shame, either.

·
Registered
3,444 Posts
it's all a matter of personal preference, me, i leave them on, they look like air hoses ..

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No Kadee-equivalent-without-trip-pin ?
Or, say, no ScaleTrains-similar semi-scale couplers in the market in US ?

·
Registered
9,851 Posts
No Kadee-equivalent-without-trip-pin ?
Or, say, no ScaleTrains-similar semi-scale couplers in the market in US ?
Look at it this way: if the customer wants to use magnetic uncouplers, he needs the pins. If he doesn't, then the pins serve no purpose, but don't hurt anything, either. So why make two products when one will suffice? Your only market for the "semi scale" version is those modelers who don't want the pins and won't accept their presence -- a very small group.

It's ridiculously easy to cut off the pins with a rotary tool or a hardened wire cutter.

·
Registered
8,341 Posts
I can't believe Scale trains uses couplers without trip pins.....as has been said, the market is very small for those who absolutely don't want trip pins.....why would they do that.....?

If you did have a layout with magnetic un-couplers, you would have to change out the couplers....on a brand new locomotive....?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts