Model Train Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Started switching to Kadee "scale" couplers and ran into problems.
My trackwork is not perfect, dips and humps.
The regular size kadees were always pretty dependable, but the smaller (top to bottom) dimensions of the 'scale' couplers cause them to uncouple on humps and dips.

Most noticeable is my new cow-calf TR4 lash up.
And of course the worst section of the track is the far back corner 馃が

Registered
The main reason I stuck with Kadee #5's.....they're bullet proof, and being low between cars, you can't really even see them, or tell that they are slightly larger than scale.....

Registered
Yeah, I know I'm kind of pig piling here, but blaming the couplers for not handling the lousy trackwork is like blaming the rain for coming in your open window.

Fix the track first. Any track with bumps big enough to cause that much misalignment is unsatisfactory.

Registered
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah, I know I'm kind of pig piling here, but blaming the couplers for not handling the lousy trackwork is like blaming the rain for coming in your open window.

Fix the track first. Any track with bumps big enough to cause that much misalignment is unsatisfactory.

Yea, but it's been fine for couple of years with larger couplers.
I just tweaked the short section in the picture. Poured near boiling water on the track to loosen the caulk. Glad there's no ballast or plywood right there.

Care to guess how many times I've left my car windows open during rain storms?

Registered
So the larger couplers masked the problem. That doesn't mean it wasn't a problem before, just that you weren't aware of it. So you have two choices: stick with the #5's, or cleanup your track work.

It's not a coupler problem, either way.

Registered
I bought a bulk pack of these by mistake, getting 158s instead of 148s. They will definitely force you to get the height spot on. Where the 5 or 148 might be forgiving, the scale heads will not.

About 1/3 of my stock and locos have them now and to be honest, I have a hard time telling them apart from the 148s.

Registered
Change every piece of equipment to the scale size couplers if you want..You'll have no problem if your track has been laid in correctly..Otherwise, keep them all the large ones making sure they're all at the same height, face to face..In fact, why care about the look of the couplers and ignore the 'look' of the track in the first place ? ....M 馃殾

Registered
Honestly, undulating track and subsequent derailments are somewhat prototypical...
Just be sure you have a couple of MOW crews available.

Registered
Honestly, undulating track and subsequent derailments are somewhat prototypical...
Frost heave, heat kinks, flooding, earthquakes, and other natural cases can all cause misaligned track, which can cause derailments. But no prototype railroad LAYS track in that condition, and all of them would prefer to repair it before they suffer a derailment....

Registered
Hahaha right you are, CTV, I'm sure you saw that my post was in a lighter vein... :giggle:

Registered
Hahaha right you are, CTV, I'm sure you saw that my post was in a lighter vein... :giggle:
Yes... but the OP might have missed the point and figured you were justifying poor track work.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts