Model Train Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, everything was moving along smoothly with my layout getting a lot of scenery work done by putting the trains away so i wouldn't spend time running trains instead of making layout progress.
So i decide to get some trains out to see how much glue ,paint and other foreign material ill need to clean off the track when i discovered one of my #4 turnout is acting strangely, with the point set to diverge everything runs perfect.
Set the points to straight and when
the loco wheel reaches the frog the breaker trips.
If i push the train past the frog, reset the breaker everything is fine. This happens in both directions . The turnout is set to power routing and this turnout is on a dead-end track i have industries on
Fixing or replacing the turnout would require destroying some freshly laid scenery so im thinking about taking clear lacquer and painting the frog
Any thoughts on what happened or other ways to fix this without removing the turnout?

·
Registered
4,457 Posts
It's not the frog. It's the closely spaced rails right at the frog separated by a too short piece of plastic.

Clear nail polish for an 1/8" on those rails shoul solve your trouble.

I have one TRIX locomotive that does that on two Peco turnouts. Or used to.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's not the frog. It's the closely spaced rails right at the frog separated by a too short piece of plastic.

Clear nail polish for an 1/8" on those rails shoul solve your trouble.

I have one TRIX locomotive that does that on two Peco turnouts. Or used to.
Sweet!
I was holding for a fix cause I already made my mind up not too fix it if I had to remove it
Thank you Michael

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
An alternative to clear nail polish:
Anywhere there is black or brown plastic insulation in switches and crossings can be painted with 'chrome' or 'silver' enamel paint (small bottle $2) instead of nail polish and will then look more like steel rail.... 🛤🌄🌵

·
Registered
98 Posts
An alternative to clear nail polish:
Anywhere there is black or brown plastic insulation in switches and crossings can be painted with 'chrome' or 'silver' enamel paint (small bottle $2) instead of nail polish and will then look more like steel rail.... 🛤🌄🌵
I like this idea a lot. It inspires me to complete a task that I've been putting off for a long time.

·
Premium Member
9,955 Posts
Except that you might find the silver paint will wear down/wear off much faster than nail polish......nail polish is tough stuff!

·
Registered
10,627 Posts
Except that you might find the silver paint will wear down/wear off much faster than nail polish......nail polish is tough stuff!
Silver paint? Or did someone edit a post before I saw it?

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
I like this idea a lot. It inspires me to complete a task that I've been putting off for a long time.
Thanks ! You made my day, bro !!
I Came up with it must be 13-15 yrs ago !.. Never saw or read about it before it hit me to try it !!
And it's enamel. Trains, alcohol, Brightboy, didn't wear it off.. And if it did wear off,
the long-time-absent brown/black plastic will start to show..Whereas with clear, the unrealistic brown/black is always there..

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Think I'm gonna find some silver nail polish
I painted a model car with nail polish once and that was some hard tough stuff
Thanks everyone for the replies and fixes
Now my efforts can be on creating instead of fixing.
🚂🚂🚂

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Think I'm gonna find some silver nail polish
I painted a model car with nail polish once and that was some hard tough stuff
Thanks everyone for the replies and fixes
Now my efforts can be on creating instead of fixing.
🚂🚂🚂
Here's yet another who has made my day !
It's the silver/chrome hiding of the unrealistic brown/black insulators, wherever they may be,
that I'm proud to have encouraged !! 🛤🌄🌵
Thanks !

·
Registered
10,627 Posts
See post #4......
That explains it. Post #4 does not exist for me, either because it has been deleted, or because it was made by someone on my ignore list...

Reactions: MichaelE

·
Premium Member
9,955 Posts
Oh, its still there, for me anyway......now why would you ignore that author? ;)

·
Registered
990 Posts
Before you use nail polish...

Flip the turnout over.
Change the two screws from power-routing to non-power-routing.

Try it this way and tell us what happens.

·
Registered
657 Posts

Flip the turnout over.

Just thought I would point out that not all kato turnouts have that option. I have several that are not selectable.

Sent from my SM-G781U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

Flip the turnout over.

im trying not to have to remove it cause of all the scene.If the paint works ill be tickeled if not it will stay broken for a wile.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Yes. If your switches (TOs) have an ability to do as J.Albert suggests above, it'd be worth it to mess up some scenery to do so.. This would make your (possibly) 'power-routing' switch into an all-live type, which could/would alleviate the problem as well..
Do the enamel first. If no go, then acting accordingly may be your only choice...Good luck.

·
Premium Member
9,955 Posts
im trying not to have to remove it cause of all the scene.If the paint works ill be tickeled if not it will stay broken for a wile.
I’d try the nail polish first.....if it works satisfactorily, you won’t need to go to the trouble of digging up scenery and messing with the turnout, which may, or may not, solve the issue....

1 - 20 of 25 Posts