Model Train Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Morning all....

This is (I'm assumung) the older version of the Kato 181 series set.....

I'm looking at all my old DC and deciding how much of a PITA it will be converting....and this is one I don't really know about since I can't figure out hot to get the dang thing apart lol

THere are 4 screws underneath the motor cover (pic 2)....but they don't loosen anything up. This does not come apart like my other Katos.....attempting to drop the chassis from the cab shell has been fruitless.....

Any ideas or help are very much appreciated....

Attachments

·
Registered
4,710 Posts
Not sure,but

Morning all....

This is (I'm assumung) the older version of the Kato 181 series set.....

I'm looking at all my old DC and deciding how much of a PITA it will be converting....and this is one I don't really know about since I can't figure out hot to get the dang thing apart lol

THere are 4 screws underneath the motor cover (pic 2)....but they don't loosen anything up. This does not come apart like my other Katos.....attempting to drop the chassis from the cab shell has been fruitless.....

Any ideas or help are very much appreciated....
DrenMadre;

I' not familiar with this model. I also don't know how "your other, (unspecified) Katos" come apart. It looks like it's based on a Japanese prototype, and from the truck-mounted Rapido couplers, absence of flywheels, and non-skewed armature motor, it's probably early N-scale production.
Kato uses many different tricks to attach their locomotive's plastic shells to their mechanisms. One is to use the window "glass" piece as a fastener. Have you tried using several very small screwdrivers to gently pry the plastic shell outward and release the window glass and hopefully the shell too? (jeweler's screwdrivers are good for this job) It can sometimes take four screwdrivers (and two people) to get the full length of both sides spread out at the same time.
I would also remove those four screws. They may be long and reach far up into the shell to hold it on. In any case, it won't likely hurt to have them out before you begin prying operations.

good luck;

Traction Fan :smilie_daumenpos:

1 - 2 of 2 Posts