Model Train Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,607 Posts
kadee doesn't have anything specifically called 'logging trucks'
are you referring to bettendorf, archbar, pennsylvania, which ones ??

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I dont really have a clue, not being conversant with US Railway but these are what I mean.

00103.jpg

·
Premium Member
9,787 Posts
Actually, Kadee does make logging trucks....they call them log car trucks.....

The Kadee logging trucks, together with logs, make up a logging car.....there really is no “car”, as shown in the photo below.....likely in the 1920’s era.....

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Old Hobo, you've answered my question. I've just added a short spur and intend to run a small logging Loco on it. Being a Kiwi, I'm not fully conversant with US Railway terms.

·
Registered
4,676 Posts
Thanks Old Hobo, you've answered my question. I've just added a short spur and intend to run a small logging Loco on it. Being a Kiwi, I'm not fully conversant with US Railway terms.
aquakiwi;

They are also called "disconnect" log cars. As you can see in Old Hobo's photo, the logs form the "body" of the car when its loaded. The rough top surfaces of the "bolsters" (swiveling cross beams) between the truck and the logs plus chains, hooked to the bolster ends, and tightened around the logs, hold things together. When the trucks have been unloaded, they are coupled together to be pulled back up the mountain to reloaded. If you have any interest in US railroad terms, the file attached has lots of them. If you see a term on the forum that you're not familiar with, you can look it up there.

Traction Fan 🙂

Attachments

·
Registered
2,447 Posts
I have about 5 pairs of disconnects. Look great on a Shay with or without logs! The "truck" has couplers at both ends.

·
Registered
899 Posts
I got to thinking. (Ack, not again!) I haven't been able to find much as yet, but I'm thinking that those disconnects with the knuckle couplers and glad-hands may not be entirely accurate. See > Log cars got no brakes A functioning air brake system would require a long hose (or pipe?) connection to be installed between each pair of disconnects. Maybe some did, I don't know, but it doesn't seem the norm. Any one got thoughts on this, or better, knowledge??:D:D

·
Registered
10,541 Posts
I got to thinking. (Ack, not again!) I haven't been able to find much as yet, but I'm thinking that those disconnects with the knuckle couplers and glad-hands may not be entirely accurate. See > Log cars got no brakes A functioning air brake system would require a long hose (or pipe?) connection to be installed between each pair of disconnects. Maybe some did, I don't know, but it doesn't seem the norm. Any one got thoughts on this, or better, knowledge??:D:D
Actually, these were mostly used on western logging roads to get logs down the often temporary logging track to where more standard equipment could get at them. Since they weren't used in interchange service, they weren't required to have air brakes. If you wanted brakes, a brakeman had to ride the logs (or jump from load to load) and apply them manually -- from DOWN BETWEEN the logs. I'll bet not too many of them lived to collect a pension.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts