Model Train Forum banner

1 - 20 of 95 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,

I have loved trains since I was like a day old and now I finally have the space to build a layout. I already have a 8 x 4 table built and a few tracks on it but I am going to re-do everything this weekend.

I am going to stick to Southern Pacific, Amtrak and BNSF.... even though I have other trains already like UP and also a LIMA Shinkansen.

I will post pics of my progress.

I really hope to learn a lot from everyone here.

·
Registered
489 Posts
welcome to the forum. a lot of us are just now getting back into the hobby :)

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
OK Everyone,

Here are some pictures of what I have to play with.
I have somewhat of a layout already but want to add some scenery to it.

I'll keep updating this thread.

Thanks.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Hi Kenjuro, as a thought, if you took your 4' x 8' and cut it up into 1' x 8' strips and then joined the ends you would have a 9' x 9' with a 7' x 7' opening in the middle. You could then put two sides against a wall. This would give you larger radius turns for your long equipment. Here is an example what it may look like, http://hogrr.blogspot.com/

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi Kenjuro, as a thought, if you took your 4' x 8' and cut it up into 1' x 8' strips and then joined the ends you would have a 9' x 9' with a 7' x 7' opening in the middle. You could then put two sides against a wall. This would give you larger radius turns for your long equipment. Here is an example what it may look like, http://hogrr.blogspot.com/
The idea of a 9x9 layout is nice and the link you shared was very helpful to see what you were talking about, I just don't have the room for a 9x9 layout right now.
But now you got me thinking of doing 4x4 on two ends and a nice straight way connecting them in the middle.

I'll see if I can find a pic to better explain myself.

·
Registered
289 Posts
My thought was if you had enough room to walk around a 4'x8', a 9'x9' would probably fit inside the walls. Of course with extra cuts you could go to a 6'x10' or something. Better if mention how much space you have, doors, windows, and such too.

·
Registered
489 Posts
looks like a good start :)

·
Registered
768 Posts
Hey could you let me know if either of the Thomas trains are DCC and where you got them from. I'm looking for one for my layout and Grandsons.

Thanks

David

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Started taking the table back to step one.
I have so much in mind but 4x8 does not seem like enough room.

I have a few Union Pacific Locomotives and 3 passenger cars that I might be putting up on ebay soon.

I'll try my best to work on the layout next weekend.

Thanks.

·
Registered
266 Posts
What are those two U.P. models in the pictures? Are those trains the models you plan on auctioning? Looks like an F-7 and maybe an SD60?

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
What are those two U.P. models in the pictures? Are those trains the models you plan on auctioning? Looks like an F-7 and maybe an SD60?
Those are the 2 locomotives that I will be auctioning + 3 passenger cars, a Dummy locomotive and also 3 UP cabooses.

I don't know the exact model of locomotive, I am just now starting to learn them.

I do now that the rounded nose locomotive is a bachmann and that the 3 passenger cars are Athearn.

I Will post a pic of the LOT when I get home from work.

The bigger locomotive runs well when it feels like it and the Bachmann locomotive has a drive shaft that comes off when at high speeds.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Here are the pics of the UP stuff that I might be putting up on Ebay.

The middle one is a "Dummy"

Thanks.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Looks like an EMD FP-45, not sure about the dummy, maybe an EMD GP-50 High-nose, and an EMD F7A.

·
Registered
6,038 Posts
Morning Ken and glad to have you with us on the forum. Your layout looks fine and tweaking is an ongoing process so take your time with it. We all make changes as we go along so don't worry about taking a chance here and there. Just try it and see what happens. Always good to run the trains awhile before you tack down the track. That way it's easy to change. Nice rolling stock too. I love the BNSF diesels. We like lots of pictures so post all you want.
Looks like your in a garage so maybe you'd have room for another 4x8 section at an "L" shape. Now that would give you a ton more room.Pete

·
Registered
137 Posts
What layout would be complete without a Supra and a Skyline getting set to duke it out. :D

Looks good, your off to an awesome start. Welcome to the site! :)

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks for the warm welcome everyone.
I've liked trains since I was little but now is when I have the room for it and also my wife is being very supportive of my hobby.

I also have one of my friends from work getting the train bug.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Hello everyone,

Not much happened on the layout this weekend.
Went to hobby town USA in Fresno and picked up the 2% Incline foam.
This should help me make the elevation needed for the backside of my layout.

1 - 20 of 95 Posts