Model Train Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
Most renters have to pony up a month's rent in advance in case people run without paying. Why don't corporations have to deposit a month's pay with a trustee in case THEY run without paying?

·
Registered
4,249 Posts
Blackjewel shut down two huge open pit coal mines in my county and over 600 workers were sent home, not even getting to clean out their lockers. None of them have been paid, and many are looking for new jobs. That's a heavy impact on a community that has a really low unemployment rate to begin with. There's a lot of anger, frustration and fear floating around here!

Thankfully I'm retired (not from a mine), so it doesn't affect me much. But the economic impact touches us all.

https://www.kotatv.com/content/news/Campbell-County-loses-more-than-600-jobs-in-a-day-512175741.html

·
Registered
447 Posts
No worries. Mitch McConnell will take care of them. He's their Senator and he has connections. He'll get the coal companies back on their feet and get the payroll going again.

·
Registered
2,545 Posts
The previous administration said he was going to put coal out of business. Mission accomplished. :eek:hwell:

The next administration is promising to put oil and gas out of business. So get on the buss, sit down, shut up and hang on. It's going to be a bumpy ride. ;):D:laugh::laugh::laugh:

·
Registered
447 Posts
The previous administration wanted to ween our economy off of fossil fuels and replace it with solar and wind. Both solar and wind are currently providing more jobs than the fossil fuel industry. We will always need oil, but not to the degree we are dependent upon today. In addition, we don't need to subsidize solar and wind like we do with the $100 billion each year for "Big Oil". Yes, it is going to be a bumpy ride.

·
Registered
2,545 Posts
Scaledown, seeing that you are in the worlds 6th largest economy lets take a look at what you derive from oil and gas. Do you suppose you can replace the revenue with it from wind and solar ?

Do you know what the plans are to do it. Just asking.

How Big Is California’s Oil And Gas Industry?

Petroleum industry’s total economic value for California—larger than 15 U.S. state economies

A new economic study released today by The Los Angeles County Economic Development Corporation (LAEDC) details the oil and gas industry’s sizable economic and fiscal impacts on California’s economy and also identifies the user industries of refined products and quantifying their economic activity today.

The Western States Petroleum Association (WSPA) commissioned the LAEDC to study the economic contribution of the oil and gas industry in California for the year 2015, as well as identifying user industries of refined products most vulnerable to cost increases, supply restrictions and competitive pressures from outside the state.

Oil & Gas is major employer, leading economic driver

The report shows the oil and gas industry as a major employer and leading economic driver in California, responsible for 368,100 jobs in 2015, or 1.6 percent of California’s employment, with almost $66 billion in total value-added, contributing 2.7 percent of California’s state GDP.

The oil and gas industry also makes significant fiscal contributions to California’s state and local governments, including more than $26.4 billion in state and local tax revenues and $28.5 billion in sales and excise taxes.

Vulnerable industries of refined petroleum products like transportation/warehousing, manufacturing and agriculture represent 1.7 million jobs in California with an associated $111 billion in labor income and contributing 8.4 percent to the state’s GDP.

“The oil and gas industry supports 77,846 jobs in Los Angeles County alone,” said Dr. Somjita Mitra of the LAEDC. “Industry activities in the county generate more than $6.9 billion in tax revenues.”

·
Registered
9,131 Posts
According to Politifact, as of the end of 2016, there were over 570,000 jobs in the renewable energy industry in California, of which 110,000 were in the Los Angeles area. What's the economic impact of that. Which is growing faster, renewable or petroleum?

Certainly petroleum is a big part of the CA economy... just as coal and steel were huge parts of the US economy 120 years ago. Economies rarely completely transform over night, but evolve they do, and the market will force local economies to adapt to broader trends.

·
Registered
2,545 Posts
According to Politifact, as of the end of 2016, there were over 570,000 jobs in the renewable energy industry in California, of which 110,000 were in the Los Angeles area. What's the economic impact of that. Which is growing faster, renewable or petroleum?

Certainly petroleum is a big part of the CA economy... just as coal and steel were huge parts of the US economy 120 years ago. Economies rarely completely transform over night, but evolve they do, and the market will force local economies to adapt to broader trends.
Yes, now all they have to do is get all those internal combustion engine vehicles off the road. If nothing more than to eliminate air pollution. All the big cities need to get the people to convert over to all electric.

I was raised in California. Lived there for 30 years. 50s, 60s and 70s. Fabulous place to grow up back in those days. I can remember the smog being so bad that your eyes would burn and it was hard to breath without chocking.

·
Registered
7,415 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Unfortunately, electric vehicles aren't quite there.....yet.....

Great for urban short driving, but up here in the great white north, distances between cities in highway driving (200 to sometimes 400 miles), coupled with winter temperatures that can reach minus 35, current battery technology is not enough....

Recharge times too long on long highway trips, batteries would be used up just keeping vehicle occupants from freezing, let alone propelling a vehicle along the road with any kind of a load....

They'll get there, but not yet I'm afraid......at least not up here....

·
Registered
2,545 Posts
The transition away from a fossil fuel economy can be done. Not overnight, but it can be done.
I agree 100%. I have been looking at electric cars. Only need one that can go 100 miles before it needs recharged.

So how come California is not pushing the people to invest in electric cars ? The only thing I see is they raised the tax on gas that's needed to keep the roads repaired. I guess those with electric cars will have to pay by the miles driven.?

Since California is the 6th largest economy in the world, what's with all this homeless problem out there. Didn't exist when I lived there.

And I am seeing all these pictures with the US flag being replaced with the Mexican flag and signs that say (make California Mexico again). California was a part of Mexico years ago

·
Registered
2,545 Posts
Unfortunately, electric vehicles aren't quite there.....yet.....

Great for urban short driving, but up here in the great white north, distances between cities in highway driving (200 to sometimes 400 miles), coupled with winter temperatures that can reach minus 35, current battery technology is not enough....

Recharge times too long on long highway trips, batteries would be used up just keeping vehicle occupants from freezing, let alone propelling a vehicle along the road with any kind of a load....

They'll get there, but not yet I'm afraid......at least not up here....
It appears to me that Canada has an unlimited supply of oil for the future. That is if the environmentalist don't shut you down. :D

·
Registered
7,415 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yeah, oil supply is no problem for us, but you stated:
All the big cities need to get the people to convert over to all electric.
and I say it can't be done, at least up here....yet....

This global warming, or global climate change, or whatever you want to call it, needs to be tackled globally as well....that is ALL countries must make steps to combat it....and mostly the big emitters; China, India, and yes, the U.S.A......

If all are not on the same page, it will never happen....

As for the environmentalists.....I'll listen to them when they go to their rallies by foot, or bicycle, or horse back, and stop organizing their protests with technology (ie: cel phones texting, e-mails), as all that technology needs petroleum products to build....actually, bicycles need petroleum problems to build them, so.....:eek:hwell:

·
Registered
2,545 Posts
This global warming, or global climate change, or whatever you want to call it, needs to be tackled globally as well....that is ALL countries must make steps to combat it....and mostly the big emitters; China, India, and yes, the U.S.A......
You might find this from the BBC to be interesting.
Stop abusing land, scientists warn
https://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-49149761

Apparently humans abusing the land is a major source of carbon pollution. Not just burning fossil fuels.

·
Registered
647 Posts
I agree 100%. I have been looking at electric cars. Only need one that can go 100 miles before it needs recharged.

So how come California is not pushing the people to invest in electric cars ? The only thing I see is they raised the tax on gas that's needed to keep the roads repaired. I guess those with electric cars will have to pay by the miles driven.?

Since California is the 6th largest economy in the world, what's with all this homeless problem out there. Didn't exist when I lived there.

And I am seeing all these pictures with the US flag being replaced with the Mexican flag and signs that say (make California Mexico again). California was a part of Mexico years ago
THATS the whole point of raising gas taxes to get more people on electric cars. calif is a bad state . nothing but bad .:mad:

·
Registered
4,249 Posts
If all I did was scoot around town, an electric car would suit me fine. But I haul an RV trailer on my vacations, and I don't know of any electric pickup or SUV out there that will pull it any distance. I also take occasional 500-600 mile trips in my car, and I don't want to waste time sitting at a charging station waiting for the battery to build back up.

Electric might be the wave of the future, but I don't see the future being very near.

·
Registered
9,131 Posts
If all I did was scoot around town, an electric car would suit me fine. But I haul an RV trailer on my vacations, and I don't know of any electric pickup or SUV out there that will pull it any distance. I also take occasional 500-600 mile trips in my car, and I don't want to waste time sitting at a charging station waiting for the battery to build back up.

Electric might be the wave of the future, but I don't see the future being very near.
Both Tesla and Toyota are working on electric pick-ups.

Many companies are setting up superchargers, which will put 80-85% charge on your battery in about 20 minutes. A CNN reporter recently took a 900 mile road trip (NYC to Atlanta) in 2 days in a Tesla Model 3, with no serious waits to charge his car.

The future may be nearer than you think. When you got your first PC (mine was in 1983), did you ever imagine you would have a device 1000 times as powerful in your pocket? Don't underestimate the ingenuity of engineers to solve problems.

"It is difficult to say what is impossible, for the dream of yesterday is the hope of today and the reality of tomorrow." -- Robert H. Goddard, American Rocket Pioneer.

·
Registered
620 Posts
Tough luck, but the miners probably aren't going to get paid for their work.

They're now just another "creditor" trying to get compensation from whatever assets the now-bankrupt coal company has left.

Not sure where "in the queue" the wages of [former] employees fall into place.

That will be up to the bankruptcy court to decide.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts