Model Train Forum banner

21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
2,545 Posts
What's gets me is that Germany was so scared of Nuclear power that they shut it down and went back to using coal to produce electricity. They get 42% of Electricity generated by coal.

And then they hooked up with Russia for oil and gas. Gasprom built two pipelines through the Batiic sea from Russia to Germany. Today, Germany is the biggest buyer of Russian gas in the world.

https://www.gazprom.com/projects/germany/

·
Registered
9,131 Posts
Tough luck, but the miners probably aren't going to get paid for their work.

They're now just another "creditor" trying to get compensation from whatever assets the now-bankrupt coal company has left.

Not sure where "in the queue" the wages of [former] employees fall into place.

That will be up to the bankruptcy court to decide.
Pretty close to the top, in most cases. Most bankruptcy courts are inclined to look at the humanitarian side of that. Of course, if there is no money and no assets, there is still no pay, no matter how sympathetic the court.

·
Registered
9,131 Posts
What's gets me is that Germany was so scared of Nuclear power that they shut it down and went back to using coal to produce electricity. They get 42% of Electricity generated by coal.

And then they hooked up with Russia for oil and gas. Gasprom built two pipelines through the Batiic sea from Russia to Germany. Today, Germany is the biggest buyer of Russian gas in the world.

https://www.gazprom.com/projects/germany/
Yup. You can file that one under "Stupid, Knee-Jerk Reactions that Come Back to Haunt You."

·
Registered
2,545 Posts
Yup. You can file that one under "Stupid, Knee-Jerk Reactions that Come Back to Haunt You."
Oh but it gets better. :laugh:

Climate change: German MPs want higher meat tax
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-49281111

Green and Social Democrat (SPD) politicians in Germany say the 7% sales tax (VAT) rate on meat should be raised to 19% to help curb global warming and fund animal welfare improvements.

While they continue to burn coal and oil.

And then we have France. They raised the tax on gas and diesel. The people rioted so they backed off.

Everyone wants something done about global warming until it hits them in the pocketbook.

·
Registered
2,545 Posts
Getting back to the original point of this thread...coal mining industry in the US....didn’t Trump promise to revitalize the coal industry and put all the coalminers back in the mine and working???
Won't work. With fracking the price of natural gas dropped way below the price of coal. Power plants converted over. Not going back..

And with the legislation being proposed for the "Green New Deal" we will be eliminating Coal, Oil and Gas. Everything has to be renewable.

Canada needs to get to clicking on this and shut down all those nasty tar sand oil pipelines. Can't figure out why Trudeau is letting it continue

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
Won't work. With fracking the price of natural gas dropped way below the price of coal. Power plants converted over. Not going back..

And with the legislation being proposed for the "Green New Deal" we will be eliminating Coal, Oil and Gas. Everything has to be renewable.

Canada needs to get to clicking on this and shut down all those nasty tar sand oil pipelines. Can't figure out why Trudeau is letting it continue
Since when did reality have anything to do with Trumps promises...he promised he would reopen the coal mines:rolleyes:...he has to make good:D:D:D

Actually the filthy tar sands are pretty much at a standstill compared to a few years ago....as are the pipelines...its causing huge friction between Alberta and the other provinces and the Feds.

·
Registered
2,545 Posts
Actually the filthy tar sands are pretty much at a standstill compared to a few years ago....as are the pipelines...its causing huge friction between Alberta and the other provinces and the Feds.
If the construction of pipelines are shut down then those jobs are gone also, just like the coal miners. Revenue from those tar sands was used to support Canada's social programs.

Maybe it can be replaced with a program for wind turbines and solar panels like California is doing. You are going to need electricity for converting from coal, oil and gas and wood burning for heating when it's mandated. And for charging electric cars.

·
Registered
7,415 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Thanks for finding answers to all our problems Frisco.....who woulda ever think it? :laugh:

But electric cars can't cut it up here, not yet anyway.....we don't have the same climate as California, in case you don't know.....but of course you know that, you know everything....:rolleyes:

·
Registered
4,249 Posts
Getting back to the original point of this thread...coal mining industry in the US....didn’t Trump promise to revitalize the coal industry and put all the coalminers back in the mine and working???
Trump did cancel most of the former administration's policies on coal mining, and it did get miners back to work. I saw it here in my community.

But policies, no matter how good or bad they may be, don't prevent companies from being stupid and reckless. That's what Blackjewel did, and it cost a lot of miners their livelihood. Blackjewel is now caught up in all sorts of law suits and will be in court for years. Meanwhile the miners look for other jobs.

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
If the construction of pipelines are shut down then those jobs are gone also, just like the coal miners. Revenue from those tar sands was used to support Canada's social programs.

Maybe it can be replaced with a program for wind turbines and solar panels like California is doing. You are going to need electricity for converting from coal, oil and gas and wood burning for heating when it's mandated. And for charging electric cars.
Some revenue from the tar sands was used to support our social programs, especially in Alberta itself. And without a doubt the pipeline issues and slowdown in the oil-patch has impacted employment in the oil sector in Alberta....on the other hand many Canadians, maybe the majority but I’m not certain have wised-upto the negative impacts of the tar-sands oil extraction situation...in particular the environmental negatives.

As for solar and other power sources...they are becoming more common place....there has been an increase of 30% in the purchase of electric and/or hybrid cars in Canada since the beginning of the year. So progress is being made albeit slowly.

·
Registered
9,131 Posts
Trump did cancel most of the former administration's policies on coal mining, and it did get miners back to work. I saw it here in my community.

But policies, no matter how good or bad they may be, don't prevent companies from being stupid and reckless. That's what Blackjewel did, and it cost a lot of miners their livelihood. Blackjewel is now caught up in all sorts of law suits and will be in court for years. Meanwhile the miners look for other jobs.
The demise of coal had very little to do with environmental regulations. The coal industry has been in decline for 20 years or more, and the biggest culprit is cheap natural gas. That's why repealing all the regulations in the world can't being coal back.

·
Registered
517 Posts
According to Politifact, as of the end of 2016, there were over 570,000 jobs in the renewable energy industry in California, of which 110,000 were in the Los Angeles area. What's the economic impact of that. Which is growing faster, renewable or petroleum?

Certainly petroleum is a big part of the CA economy... just as coal and steel were huge parts of the US economy 120 years ago. Economies rarely completely transform over night, but evolve they do, and the market will force local economies to adapt to broader trends.
Renewables are a fraud. Solar panels produce pollutants to make. Windmills kill birds. And those that like them oddly enough don't want them anywhere near them. And if they weren't subsidized they wouldn't exist. Which tells me there is something wrong with the economic model.

Remember Obama's pet Solyndra? The politics of business. No more successful than modern politics. Just corruption writ large.

And no, I do not think anything should be subsidized by the feds. It is, IMO, a violation of the Constitution, to subsidize any one thing or business at the expense of another.

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
Renewables aren’t a fraud ,they do work and produce energy....but they aren’t a perfect panacea. Unfortunately every type of power production mankind comes up with has negative consequences, none are impact neutral. I’m not a fan of the big wind turbines, they have a lot of proven downsides to human health not mention the aforementioned birdkill issue. So do solar panels, especially in big solar-farms, so does hydro electricity, coal and hydrocarbons also. The question is, which is less damaging and which long term negative consequences do we prefer to live with?

·
Registered
622 Posts
CTValley wrote:
"The coal industry has been in decline for 20 years or more, and the biggest culprit is cheap natural gas. That's why repealing all the regulations in the world can't being coal back."

Eventually the cheap gas will run out.
But the coal... will still be there.

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
CTValley wrote:
"The coal industry has been in decline for 20 years or more, and the biggest culprit is cheap natural gas. That's why repealing all the regulations in the world can't being coal back."

And hopefully by then we will have found a less harmful or impactful type of energy...or we will be gone.

·
Registered
9,131 Posts
CTValley wrote:

Maybe... but nature creates natural gas far faster than it does coal or oil. Eventually, every consumable resource will run out. That's why it makes sense to find things that DON'T run out.

·
Registered
9,131 Posts
Renewables are a fraud. Solar panels produce pollutants to make. Windmills kill birds. And those that like them oddly enough don't want them anywhere near them. And if they weren't subsidized they wouldn't exist. Which tells me there is something wrong with the economic model.

Remember Obama's pet Solyndra? The politics of business. No more successful than modern politics. Just corruption writ large.

And no, I do not think anything should be subsidized by the feds. It is, IMO, a violation of the Constitution, to subsidize any one thing or business at the expense of another.
:laugh::laugh::laugh: Thanks for the laugh! It kills me every time someone trots out this argument. Nothing is perfect, but have you ever seen a coal mine? Or an oil field? And do you know anyone who wants to live next to a strip mine or coal- fired power plant? Ever heard of Exxon Valdez? How about Deepwater Horizon? Chernobyl? Fukushima? I lived a mere 44 miles from 3 Mile Island when they had the accident there... how do you think we felt?

Solyndra? Look at Blackjewel. Blue Sky Mining Company.

You should also do yourself a favor and look into subsidies for the petroleum and coal industries. They are subsidized to beat the band, but no one who supports them wants to admit it.

21 - 38 of 38 Posts