Model Train Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
700 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Last night became the final time I could watch train action from one of my favorite spots in Los Angeles..
It's usually late at night I'll get the urge to get in my old diesel Benz, put on the news and drive down to the main entrance to the UP inter-modal yard off Mission near Marengo... They have rearranged some trackage there and even removed all the buildings on the road leading in...
Alas, last night I was watching a man throwing ground throws preparing a route for a soon to be coming in train to grab a hold of a string or two of filled container well cars only 40 feet from me..I've made this scene a hundred times in the past. But last night the ax came down...The switch thrower (they arrive in shiny white trucks to do this in the yard now, not by the ensuing train crew)..I could tell he spotted me and obviously called security...30 Sec. later the security guard pulled up to my car and nicely told me I had to leave..I told him I'm just a train nut and just like to sit here once in a while..As we were summing it up the ground thrower guy pulled up too...I said nothing, got in my car and spun around hard enough to kick up the unpaved dirt lot at them and split !!!...
Well there still are dozens other fanning spots in and around L.A. So no big deal. Just a bit sad as that was in my top 3...
No real need for + or - replies...Just needed to vent this to those who can identify...M

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
Were you on UP property, public property, or some other entity's property? I you were on UP property, I can understand them running you off.

·
Registered
700 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys.
Yeah, I didn't let it escalate into somethin' they could put a feather in their caps with, at my expense.
They we're legally right and that's all I needed to know.... I was in the 1:1 scale's house at that moment..
It is sad for me not being able to have them look the other way in this instance; my being no less than a respectful miniature and full size railroad's and railroader's friend and protector my whole life ......
M 🏭🏭🛤🌄🌵

·
Registered
8,377 Posts
Unfortunately, those guys do not know that.....you could be anybody, up to anything, as far as they know.....

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
They were legally right to ask you to leave, and you feel that you dignified them, and your status as a supposed railfan, by purposefully flinging gravel at them.

Wow.....

·
Registered
2,021 Posts
The railroad can't put themselves in a position where they subjectively decide who can be on their property and who must leave. That would set them up for discrimination lawsuits.

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
Very right, and their underwriters would be very unhappy to learn that they chase away some while ignoring others. So would their roadmaster, if he/she learned of it. Also, it seems some feel entitled when they trespass and then get asked to leave. Give some an inch...

·
Registered
9,880 Posts
They were legally right to ask you to leave, and you feel that you dignified them, and your status as a supposed railfan, by purposefully flinging gravel at them.

Wow.....
Yeah, I noticed that too. Not exactly the "mature adult" referred to by Old Hobo. More like the reason we can't have nice things....

·
Registered
700 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Anyone else care to beat me up today in your self righteousness ? I failed to tell you: Where I was parked was outside the no trespassing sign and stop sign before the first tracks... If where I was was now RR property why wasn't the no trespassing sign moved sooner up the road than where it is ?? It was always a city road where I never drove past those signs in years gone by... I kicked some dust up because I was miffed but at the same time didn't stand there arguing with the two of them, giving them a hard time...Some of you are giving me a harder time, here..
So go on !! Hit me with your best shot !! Fire away if that makes you feel superior to me.... 📌

·
Registered
8,377 Posts
A good lesson in that, if you are going to share a story, you gotta give ALL the details and omit none, because people will base their opinions and comments on what you originally say......

Just sayin’.....

Either way, that doesn’t negate the fact that shooting gravel at them when driving off is rather childish.....I think that’s what folks are trying to say.....

·
Registered
2,021 Posts
Anyone else care to beat me up today in your self righteousness ? I failed to tell you: Where I was parked was outside the no trespassing sign and stop sign before the first tracks... If where I was was now RR property why wasn't the no trespassing sign moved sooner up the road than where it is ?? It was always a city road where I never drove past those signs in years gone by... I kicked some dust up because I was miffed but at the same time didn't stand there arguing with the two of them, giving them a hard time...Some of you are giving me a harder time, here..
So go on !! Hit me with your best shot !! Fire away if that makes you feel superior to me.... 📌
Post #4-- "I was in the 1:1 scale's property". If you knew that at the time, then the placement of the signs is doesn't matter. Nobody is looking to feel superior.

·
Registered
700 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Really old Snarky B !? Do ya think so ?! Is that what all you good folks are tryin' ta tell this one bad apple ? And of course no way any of you would have done the same, what with all that dusty gravel just awaitin' to be kicked up (ATTN !! I didn't peel out if that's what you pictured ! It was more a strong-pedaled 180, spin-around/skedaddle out of there type motivation away from the 2 ego trippers ousting a harmless senior and rail fan doing nothing but sitting in his car on what was unmarked as private property...
If you are in the area, go see for yourself...1st or 2nd side street west of Marengo (or could still be Daly at that lattitude) off north side of Mission...Drive all the way to the end..
Beware of 'dogs'..... 🏤🏬 🏭🏭🛤🌄🌵

·
Registered
8,377 Posts
As a senior also, I would have driven out normally.....I find no sense in doing a strong pedalled 180 and spinning up dust, and further souring any relationship, real or otherwise, with folks only trying to do their job.....

But obviously, you felt the need to do so.....Hopefully, it made you feel better.....

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
Your story changes every time you tell it, but it doesn't seem to improve. YOU mentioned the gravel flinging, so I must assume you got some satisfaction from that artefact of your departing. If it was nothing, maybe something you regret, why mention it?

"...ego trippers casting a harmless senior and rail fan doing nothing..." sounds a lot like that young fella and his wife I encountered on a dog walk a couple of weeks back. Didn't know the bylaw, didn't care to to know it, and didn't have his 'princess' on a leash. Indignantly huffed that he didn't even have a leash with him. There are no off-leash spaces in my town, and dogs off leash are deemed to be 'at large'. There was no arguing with him....he knew it all. Everyone else's dog needed to be leashed, but not his Princess.

The workers were honouring their terms of service for employment. That's a contract, a legal document, setting out the expectations between someone who pays for their smarts, honesty, their labour, and their time. In exchange, they agree to abide by company policies and to do the work they are tasked with accomplishing in a timely manner. That includes being vigilant, looking for safety infractions or possible harm, looking for the integrity of the plant, and for the security of the property. IOW....they were doing their jobs!!!

Were you? If they were in the wrong, you should have pointed it out and stood your ground. If you were wrong, why all the kvetching? If you feel that, at your advanced age, you possess more common sense, more experience, more rectitude, and more confidence in your convictions, they ought not to have prevailed upon you to leave a place you have every right to occupy.

You and I are different. You complain about a claim you didn't have the heart to press, or you complain that, even though you were in the wrong, they were wrong to point it out. Your ever-changing account of it makes us wonder exactly what transpired. But, I received my first ever traffic fine three weeks ago. I passed a speed reduction and missed it. I was day dreaming, and not paying attention to what I was doing, and got snagged immediately. I have been disappointed in myself for my failure, and have taken great pains to refrain from the self-indulgence of day-dreaming every since. I was wrong, and feel wretched that I had to be stopped speeding...at my advanced age, where I possess so much common sense, experience, rectitude, and confidence in my convictions.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.