Model Train Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Did anyone have or know where I can find stripe decals for Louisville and Nashville Pullman cars? I have numbers and the script (mostly) but I can't find the stripes. I'd rather not have to paint match these.

Looking for the yellow stripe on top and bottom

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Tried making my own, since I can't find any. Unfortunately they turned out all but unusable against the dark blue. I'm guessing the commercial stuff is a special ink to prevent this? I removed the stripes already, so this picture is where the project sits as of now. I'm not happy with the way the window strip sits and I need the stripes still. That and the blue is a little darker that I hoped for. It's noticably darker than the E7 I'll be pulling them with.

·
Registered
684 Posts
Did you test Dulcote on the decal ? Maybe, if you don't have that many that it would bust you, someone in the forum or elsewhere does this for people by sending it to them for a fee.... I'm sure there are legit services out there where you'de just ship the car shells for obtaining correct RR livery on (no decals showing).. Could you have a plastic stencil made by a 3D copier that you hold over car and spray through it ? Nah.....
I love my HO Bachmannn L&N RS3 livery (tho I freelance and just 'buy' engines from other RRs that may never be repainted for 'my' RR....

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I printed them on waterslide transfer paper with my inkjet. They then got coated with acrylic sealer. The problem is the inkjet color is too thin, so the dark background masks it. I've been looking for generic stripes commercially produced and might try gold or yellow. My guess is it won't match well.

I could try painting them with a pinstriping wheel, but matching the color is still an issue. I paid $30 to try and batch the blue and it didn't work out as well as I had hoped. The yellow would be even more difficult, the sample size is just too small

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks, I will experiment with the microscale stripes.

·
Registered
4,160 Posts
Thanks, I will experiment with the microscale stripes.

vette-kid;

You might try putting a white decal stripe on first, letting it set overnight and applying Dulcote to seal the decal. The next day, try applying the gold, or yellow, decal stripe over the white. Yellow is one of the poorest covering colors, & I suspect gold may not be far behind in that regard. Since you are applying thin, yellow or gold, stripes over a very dark color, the coverage may be poor, which will make the stripes far less visible than if they were applied over white.

Another possibility for stripes is chartpack, or 3M striping tape. Micro Mark sells it. However, since you're trying for a specific color match, it's not likely the tape will be the color you want.
As Old Hobo, and Murv suggested Microscale stripes may be the best option.

Good Luck & Have Fun;

Traction Fan 🙂

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks TF. I had considered using white first, but I can't print white. If I could find white transfer sheets that might work. They would have to be cut exact though

·
Registered
3,463 Posts
Why not mask and paint them the old fashioned way?

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Because matching the paint color would be nearly impossible and making off the corrugated sides even more so. That said, if the decals don't work I might try a pinstriping wheel

·
Registered
4,160 Posts
Thanks TF. I had considered using white first, but I can't print white. If I could find white transfer sheets that might work. They would have to be cut exact though

vette-kid;

I was thinking, in fact I mentioned, using commercial white decal stripes. They're commonly available as a number of railroads used white stripes on their early diesels.

Traction Fan 🙂

1 - 12 of 12 Posts