Model Train Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a small Bachman Rio Grande steam loco for my son. It had both light and smoke and cost about $80.00. The train ran fine except it refused to smoke. At first I put 3-4 drops in and then when it didn't smoke after a few minutes I put a few more drops in. It still would not smoke. I brought it back to the dealer who tested it out and basically said with a oh hum attitude, "well that's the way they are". Annoyed, I returned it for a refund. Now my question(s) to you all is this......

Do all HO trains smoke just as crappy or is it a Bachman problem? Or did I just pick a defective one?

Is there a particular brand of HO train that is of good quality? Keep in mind it is for my 5 year old son and I'm not about to go out and buy him a $300 steam loco (at least not yet) and according to him "it must smoke".

Any help and/or suggestions is appreciated. :confused:

·
Registered
140 Posts
I'm no expert about smoke but everything I have read is, its a bad idea as the engine has to be ran as fast as it goes for a few minutes to make it smoke and the smoke will leave a residue on the engine and all the cars and the track which will need a lot more cleaning because of it...was gonna get my little engineer one but decided against it because of this

1 - 4 of 4 Posts