Model Train Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found a nice MTH DL&W Fairbanks Morse H-24-66 Trainmaster recently. It is a PS2/3v engine. Nice detail and great paint work.

The real ones saw use in both freight and passenger service. The Lackawanna had twelve of them and they lived on into the EL era.

Interesting engines, as they had opposed piston prime movers. No cylinder heads and two crank shafts. Similar FM designed/built engines were used in US Navy diesel submarines right up into the 1990’s.

Only one Trainmaster is in existence now. It is a Canadian version built by the Canadian Locomotive Company under license from FM. It was one of twenty used by the Canadian Pacific Railway...

Tom

Attachments

·
Registered
3,248 Posts
Great looking locomotive!

I'd sure like to see that prime mover.

·
Registered
564 Posts
I found a nice MTH DL&W Fairbanks Morse H-24-66 Trainmaster recently. It is a PS2/3v engine. Nice detail and great paint work.

The real ones saw use in both freight and passenger service. The Lackawanna had twelve of them and they lived on into the EL era.

Interesting engines, as they had opposed piston prime movers. No cylinder heads and two crank shafts. Similar FM designed/built engines were used in US Navy diesel submarines right up into the 1990’s.

Only one Trainmaster is in existence now. It is a Canadian version built by the Canadian Locomotive Company under license from FM. It was one of twenty used by the Canadian Pacific Railway...

Tom
Mr. Krieglok, thanks for the Lackawanna post. I've had a grey-roof #2321 for years. Funny how you can get used to an incorrect rendering of a real loco and begin to wonder about a real scale rendering such as the MTH one, which is really nice. Love the screened-in fans and wish MTH had gone the extra distance and motorized them. I'm guessing Lionel's later, nice versions with the motorized fans weren't all that reliable or valued so much, but I loved the idea from the first I heard.
Now, your comment re: the last surviving Trainmaster being a CP. It must be the one in Nelson, B.C./Canada I've seen and captured on film. Posting a few pix, altho' I have better ones somewhere. Right next to it is an FM CP C-liner wrapped in tarps. Don't know if they are still there and if the tarp finally came off of the C-liner.
1a .jpg
1a .jpg 2a  .jpg 3a  .jpg 4a  .JPG 6a .jpg

·
Registered
3,018 Posts
Thats a fine model. My only Trainmaster is a Williams Lackawanna that I picked up my traditional train days. Upgraded with ERR cruise it runs great but nowhere near the detail of that MTH engine.
Pete

·
Registered
4,184 Posts
I recently picked up a few Raikking Lackawanna Trainmasters. I like them, but that Premier version sure looks nice.

Just noticed the statement that The US Navy had diesel subs into the 90’s. That’s kind of a stretch. I worked at the Philly Navy Yard and some of the work was on diesel subs that the US had sold to foreign governments, but even that work was gone in the 90’s. After consulting my trusty Jane’s and the Naval Vessel Register, there were only a few diesel boats left in the US fleet in the 80’s and I only found one boat still in the US fleet in the 90’s. USS Blueback (SS 581) was decommissioned in October 1990.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Wow, thanks for those pictures of the only surviving Trainmaster. Pretty neat to see the close ups. The one thing that strikes me is how much smaller the fuel tank is on the real one than the simulated one on the Lionel version. I guess the Lionel "tank" had to be larger for the horn battery. :)

The Trainmaster is my favorite Lionel diesel. I have no fewer than 19 of them!

·
Admin
43,843 Posts
Love the screened-in fans and wish MTH had gone the extra distance and motorized them. I'm guessing Lionel's later, nice versions with the motorized fans weren't all that reliable or valued so much, but I loved the idea from the first I heard.
I have one of the early Lionel Legacy models with the motorized fans, and I believe at least one of the K-Line models also motorized those fans. Although my Lionel fans still works fine, I believe the fans were a source of constant issues. Of note, my later Legacy Trainmaster doesn't have the motorized fans, so I guess the reliability rumors were true. :)

·
Registered
443 Posts
Thanks for posting yours . Here we have a Williams by Williams Canadien Lackawanna that has dual large pittman motors (no flywheel) and a magnet under both truck assemblies as made back then.
Very simple setup runs steady at a slow speed and pulls very well. Have several in different road names.

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
You are welcome, KBeyer and Dieseler. They are interesting engines.

Bob, thank you for the clarification. I was going with what I read/misread at the FM website. FM, in fact, still supply 80% of the engines used in US Navy surface ships, according to their site...

Tom

1 - 10 of 10 Posts