Model Train Forum banner

201 - 220 of 252 Posts

·
Registered
2,959 Posts
That must have made a hell of a mess, especially if conditions were dry or very dry. That stuff will stick to anything with the slightest amount of electrical charge.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #206
It's update time!! :D

Continued working on the foam in the southwest corner.
Smoothed the "corner" hill like the opposite one, then started on the hills inside the tracks. I included pre-vacuuming pics this time to show how much mess was made from shaping each hill.

Mid shaping pic of the hill between the tracks...

I'm going to be painting the ground either brown or green......haven't decided yet lol.

Till next time...

Dan

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #209
It's update time!!

Since I first started this layout I knew I wanted some sort of abandoned track included in it, well I finally decided on where there was room! The southern siding had a more eastern branch as some time in the past. I used a piece of peco flex and took about half the ties off, and moved the rest so most were no longer straight (this took nearly an hour lol) and got it glued down. I like how the ties continue for a bit after the uneven ends of the rails :) It also has another cool feature I discovered...… Some pics of the process....

Added another hill on the south side of the mining company, same layered foam technique as before...

Now I got serious and dove straight into ground cover :eek: Started with the smallest hill and painted it brown.....then sprinkled on the turf (and messed up by starting with coarse not fine) For a first attempt I think it turned out OK.

Now I started on the roads for the western buildings. Got them all sketched out with a marker, then used the foam tape from a Woodland Scenics roadbuilding kit to mark the lines...

Got some fine turf so I did another hill....and added a little to the first one I did to try and cover my mistake. Not sure I like the result yet but here's how it sits now...

Tonight I got the second part of the roads foam tape done.....but ran out of time to get the pavement poured :thumbsdown: This is what I used for the roads......just dumped the paint right in :thumbsup:

Till next time :)

Dan

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #212
Looking good, I like it. I like the first hill better before you added more green.
same here it looked better to me with out the extra green. or maybe just a little put on. i like how its all turning out looks good.
Thanks guys!

I think I'm gonna just sand that first hill bare......paint it brown again and start with the fine turf like the second one. My first attempt looked more desert southwest.....which isn't what I was aiming for lol! One question, when I start adding the fine turf to the wet paint should I be trying to completely cover the brown in one coat? That's what I did on the second hill and I seem to have ended up with a layer on top that's set with the scenic cement but there's still loose turf under it because it's so deep.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #219
Well I would do what you did the first time, more roughage and splotchy brown showing.
I see what you mean. After a lot of looking at what I've done so far I think the brown is too light. That's why it looked like Arizona not Wisconsin haha! Hopefully Ace hardware can just shoot some black into it I don't want even more paint :)

I've also made good progress on my road and abandoned crossing while thinking about my hills. Pics coming hopefully tomorrow :thumbsup:

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #220
Ok so tomorrow turned into 3 months :laugh: That wasn't really the plan! I've been working on the layout every day and there's much to be posted. I've finished 2 more buildings, expanded the benchwork again adding more track, and totally re-did the ground cover on my hills.....even adding trees this time. And I'm actually satisfied with how it all looks :eek: I'm on vacation from work this week so hopefully tonight for the new pics!

201 - 220 of 252 Posts