Model Train Forum banner

221 - 240 of 252 Posts

·
Registered
457 Posts
Felt ya! Same here, too busy with other things. Now Winter is coming, everyone shall be more busy on the model railroad. Just got back to my layout and started to work on them now since I am staying inside. It is getting colder and colder down here. Expect light freeze in the area.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #222
Felt ya! Same here, too busy with other things. Now Winter is coming, everyone shall be more busy on the model railroad. Just got back to my layout and started to work on them now since I am staying inside. It is getting colder and colder down here. Expect light freeze in the area.
Yes winter is time for trains!! Were expecting 3-6 inches of snow on Sunday :smilie_daumenneg: Looking forward to seeing your progress!

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #223
Ok finally posting an update for the first time in half a year :laugh::eek: Just using current pics don't have time for hundreds of progress pics lol!

Made lots more progress on my abandoned crossing and roads. Also added a new paved area with two new buildings.

Made big progress on the ground cover (started over for a third time) I like how it looks right now.....but it still needs more! Also I've been very busy with my streetlights :cool:

New railcar shop on bench addition!

Also made a backdrop that partially blocks view of the yard, and divides the layout into scenes better. Its held in with pencils in the foam and is totally removable for access.

If anyone wants closer pics of anything....or how I did it.....just ask. I've got in progress pics of everything :cool:

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #230
Ok here's a few more pics of my progress!

Added a few more trees to the dairy...

Started on another larger hill next to the mining company, using 2" foam for more height...

Made the second layer of the hill last night...

Here's the other side of the backdrop....this area will eventually be the downtown district...

Till next time...

Dan :)

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #235
I've been busy over the holidays, so here's my latest update :thumbsup:

Finished the appliance repair company across from the auto shop, still want to paint the base so it better matches the pavement though...

Back when I did the ground cover on the eastern end of the layout, I somehow forgot part of this building when masking their locations. I finally scraped the cover from that area and replaced the left section...…..looks better now!!

Started on the ground cover for the newest hill, adding bushes in addition to the trees I've been using. The area left bare around the mining company will eventually be a gravel parking lot.

Finally in the picture of the assembled (rail) car shop there's a rather weathered siding on one side of the building. I wanted to replicate this...….but with track that isn't on roadbed like the rest of the layout. After weeks of thinking about how to do the required change in grade, I made a ramp out of strips of .20 styrene. This track will eventually be embedded in the ground cover like my abandoned siding is :cool:

Till next time...

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
I've been busy over the holidays, so here's my latest update :thumbsup:

Finished the appliance repair company across from the auto shop, still want to paint the base so it better matches the pavement though...

Back when I did the ground cover on the eastern end of the layout, I somehow forgot part of this building when masking their locations. I finally scraped the cover from that area and replaced the left section...…..looks better now!!

Started on the ground cover for the newest hill, adding bushes in addition to the trees I've been using. The area left bare around the mining company will eventually be a gravel parking lot.

Finally in the picture of the assembled (rail) car shop there's a rather weathered siding on one side of the building. I wanted to replicate this...….but with track that isn't on roadbed like the rest of the layout. After weeks of thinking about how to do the required change in grade, I made a ramp out of strips of .20 styrene. This track will eventually be embedded in the ground cover like my abandoned siding is :cool:

Till next time...

The subtle changes in elevation so that everything is flat, but it's not, IMHO adds a lot of interest and realism. Nice.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #240
Mini update

Well it's been 4 months and I have a lot of progress to post. This past winter was very cold....made progress slow cause of extremely long drying times for most everything. It got down to 43 degrees in the basement in late January :eek: Still got a lot done since my last full update, including.....

- extending the road on the east end to include a grade crossing that crosses over the inner and outer loops.

- installing a second crossing controller with 8 sensors for the new crossing (using reflective sensing to eliminate the ugly and unconcealable white plastic tubes)

- switched my first crossing (post 158) to reflective sensing for the same benefit as above

- decided on a more realistic color for my roads......in the midst of painting them now

- and perhaps the biggest one.....the northeast corner of the layout is now a tunnel, which will be the base of a large mountain!

Pics will be coming soon :)

221 - 240 of 252 Posts