Model Train Forum banner

241 - 252 of 252 Posts

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #243
Ok it's full update time!

I extended the road on the western edge to include a grade crossing across both loops.

Obviously this new crossing would need working signals, using Azatrax components it was a fun little project! I used reflective sensing so I didn't need to use those ugly plastic tubes like before (I deemed this too complicated a few years ago lol). Everything works now just waiting on getting the actual signals.....it seems Tomar picked a perfect time to close their doors :thumbsdown:

Switched my first crossing to reflective sensing as well, LOVE seeing the layout without those dang tubes haha!!

Changed the road color from gray to an actual concrete color, took two coats as you could still see the brush strokes with just one.

Now for the tunnel. I've been pressured by everyone (family/friends) to include a tunnel on the layout. Finally made it happen, now the challenge is gonna be how to make it look realistic lol! Just started playing around with cut pieces of foam...…..I'll let the pics do the talking :laugh:

Decided to paint all the inside surfaces of the tunnel, didn't want to see green foam from any angle! The floor is brown and the walls gray. This had to be done before gluing the roof on.

And finally glued the roof on.....this is a big step!

Till next time!

Dan :)

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #247
I've got a roll of Woodland Scenics Shaper Sheet and plaster to start blending the tunnel into the layout. Never done anything with plaster before so this aught to be fun! Eventually there will be more foam on top of the tunnel. Maybe even a snow capped peak :eek:

Till next time...

Dan :)

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #248
Update time!!

Haven't really done much to the layout lately other than running trains, and I can't seem to stop buying loco's/rolling stock even though I don't have room on the layout for them :laugh:

But back in August I did make an attempt at using the shaper sheet to form the hillside. It turned out ok, I haven't poured on the plaster yet because I'm not sure how I'm gonna do the tunnel entrances. Been stuck on that for a while actually :confused: Here's some pics of where I'm at.....

I'm also still working on planning my downtown area, what is now the big green expanse in this pic :)

Till next time!

Dan

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #249 (Edited)
Small update today!

Haven't done any scenery as it's too cold in the basement this time of year. It's not to cold to fix the random shorting happening at my 12 Peco turnouts that are on the main. Seems to be worse when the humidity is lower (less then 50%). Have got the nail polish applied as recommended in this thread. Hopefully it works as good for me as it has for others!

In this pic you can actually see the pitting caused by the repeated shorting, this turnout was one of the worst...

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #250
Made some progress over the past few months! Finally got flashing signals installed on the western crossing after almost a year. They are actually the ones from my original (and now removed) crossing (post 73).....except now all the lights work! Also I completed something I've wanted since 2016 but never thought was possible on a layout as small as mine.......block signaling.....at least on both mains. A LOT of time and $ spent but it's SO worth it!! Used over 100 feet of 26ga wire :oops: There's 8 signals, 7 of them are installed. Here's a few teaser pics (I have lots more)...…...

·
Registered
2,959 Posts
Small update today!

Haven't done any scenery as it's too cold in the basement this time of year. It's not to cold to fix the random shorting happening at my 12 Peco turnouts that are on the main. Seems to be worse when the humidity is lower (less then 50%). Have got the nail polish applied as recommended in this thread. Hopefully it works as good for me as it has for others!

In this pic you can actually see the pitting caused by the repeated shorting, this turnout was one of the worst...

I had the same problem with a Peco #8 turnout and a TRIX Br.187 locomotive. Apparently, the wheel tread is wider on these wheels than my other brands of locomotives and shorted at the frog every time. I first used gaffer's tape and then switched to the nail polish trick.

This doesn't happen on the #6 turnouts; I think it's because of the divergence angle.

241 - 252 of 252 Posts