Model Train Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings everyone! I tried to build a model railroad in my dad's storage building when I was 19. Too small of a space with no heat and air. Started again when my wife and I built our first new home. Got one 1/2 down with a 4 x 8 n scale. For various reasons we moved to a smaller house. Work on the RR went in the green dumpster. If construction goes well, we will move into our new home in July. The same month I turn 70. I will have a 24 x 36 room just to do trains. Going with HO this time to help with the old eyes. If the Lord leaves me here long enough and healthy enough - I will run trains!

·
Registered
258 Posts
Greetings everyone! I tried to build a model railroad in my dad's storage building when I was 19. Too small of a space with no heat and air. Started again when my wife and I built our first new home. Got one 1/2 down with a 4 x 8 n scale. For various reasons we moved to a smaller house. Work on the RR went in the green dumpster. If construction goes well, we will move into our new home in July. The same month I turn 70. I will have a 24 x 36 room just to do trains. Going with HO this time to help with the old eyes. If the Lord leaves me here long enough and healthy enough - I will run trains!
. Welcome aboard I hope it goes better for you this time! That is a very good sized space to work with!

·
Registered
8,680 Posts
Welcome to the fun place for 70 year old folks.

I was over 80 when i began my latest layout and
that worked out fine...HO
is just right for the space you have available.

Now is the time to think about how you would
run your trains. With a layout the size you could
build you might have mountains and valleys that
would make continuous running trains interesting.
But it would also give you the space to have one
or more good size yards to store cars and make up
trains. And...just as important...there would be areas
where you would have spurs serving small freight
using companies. These and the yards would give you
a lot of enjoyment with switching activities.

I would suggest that you consider a single track mainline
that basically follows the walls (or edges of your space)
The DCC control system make it possible to run, for
example, train A clockwise and train B counter clockwise.
That would require 3 or 4 passing sidings but it makes
for fun operations.

Our Layout design forum has drawings and pictures of many
layouts that can give you ideas that you could use to
create your own track plan.

Don

·
Railroad Tycoon
24,024 Posts
If you decide to throw it in the dumpster this time you are free to toss it into mine. :p

1 - 5 of 5 Posts