Model Train Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
785 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
There are a few places I like to drive to to watch/wait for train action in Los Angeles when bored st home.
Last night I hit the jackpot !
Just as I as driving in to an area next to the inter-modal yard off Mission Rd. & Daly St. a string of big yellow UP engines (Mac70s ?) had just shoved a cut of containers into the closest track to the storm fence along the road. The couplers of the engine and cars were right smack dab in front of me about 25ft away..
A crewman climbed down and, as it was all lit up by the headlight and other lights, I watched him pull the cut lever..He then climbed back up into the cab. Soon the engines began moving and "Pppppshhhhhhht", the glad hands split apart and off they went toward the yard throat.
I then got back in my car and drove to a nearby concrete bridge on Griffin St. over the main line into that yard. I got out and stood watching up the glistening rail heads from the bridge..1 Min later I saw those very bright head and ditch lights coming at me about a half Mi. away..When she finally reached me I was surprised to find the first loco a Genesis in the lead of an east bound Amtrak train which obviously had just departed Union Station across the L.A. river at far end the inter-modal yard. It was nice listening to and feeling the rumble of that engine passing under me and the string of bi-level passenger cars in tow...
I know it was nothing unusual spotting this action. But it really made my night for me..the two events happening so quickly. Sometimes there will be zilch.....
What is it about trains ?! M 🏭🏭🛤🛤🌄🏚🏡🌵

·
Registered
4,569 Posts
Yeah, I love trains but don't really understand why. I think it's the sheer power, the rumble of those engines (both diesel and steam), and the size. Then there's the lure of traveling on them, seeing unfamiliar places and just soaking in the rocking ride of them.

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
The cars made music for me back in the 50's, nice rhythmic clackity-clack. Loved counting the cars to see if they would get to a hundred. I lived in Fostoria, Ohio, so I had continual trains!

·
Registered
785 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
~The track itself always is alluring to me, too..
Those glistening parallel streaks woven together by switches and signals...especially the way the heat wafts of it at dusk in the summer, waiting patiently for its next 1000-wheeled guest...
It makes me think of my childhood Golden Books (was it ?) "Tootle" or "the Little Engine That Could", the very last words:
"From Timbuktu to Kalamazoo, and all the way back" ; the hand made illustration of the track and phone poles under the orange-bottomed clouds..going off into the horizon at sundown...
This is all a big part of it for me and I'd imagine many, if not most of us.....
Thanks, and

Happy tidings in the new year, M 🌄🛤🚦

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
The cars made music for me back in the 50's, nice rhythmic clackity-clack. Loved counting the cars to see if they would get to a hundred. I lived in Fostoria, Ohio, so I had continual trains!
You wanna count cars? The UP runs through my town. The track parallels Old RT. 66 that I take home. Some nights I will catch a double stack container train on the way home. I can get into town just as the gates come down so I get a front row seat to car counting. These trains run 2 what I think are MAC 70's up front and maybe another cut into the car string about half way or there will be a screaming MAC 70 at the rear. These trains always have at least 180 cars. The longest was 201. Used to be 130-140 was the norm. Not now. I miss the old clackity-clack sound.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts