Model Train Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wanted to post my experience with this engine. It arrived yesterday to my local Hobby shop and I tested it there on their test track in conventional mode.
I then took it later to my local train club track with Legacy control. I could not get the engine to program or run under Legacy. I could run it under Bluetooth using either the orange universal remote or app running on a phone. Suspecting an antenna problem, I finally got around to taking it apart today and finding that the handrail antennas heatshrink covered solder joints had been making contact to the main drive motor and had poked holes through the heatshrink. A few minutes desoldering, bending the tips of the handrails to better not interfere with the motor and then resoldering and double heatshrink (outer is thick waterproof with glue style) solved it.

After removing some heatshrink to inspect the original solder joint, it's somewhat easy to see how and what helped poke through and short.

Then I bent and resoldered both wires and double layered 2 sizes of heatshrink.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
BTW, a shot of the can motor it was shorting out with to frame ground.

Anyway, easy fix and this is an amazing and well running engine now. Just wondering if anyone else has or gets this problem, an easy fix, but annoying on a brand new engine out of the box.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts